Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Driver's Seat Extension?

fopetesl

RAV4 4.1 1999 3-door Auto 56K miles only :)

I'm nearly six feet tall with long'ish legs so driving any distance gets painful :giljotiini:

Googling for seat extension kits all I can find is an American company who make/sell these.

Is there anyone in Britain who does?

If not any suggestions as to how to modify and give me about six inches more leg room?

RAV4 4.1 1999 3-door Auto 56K miles only :)

I'm nearly six feet tall with long'ish legs so driving any distance gets painful :giljotiini:

Googling for seat extension kits all I can find is an American company who make/sell these.

Is there anyone in Britain who does?

If not any suggestions as to how to modify and give me about six inches more leg room?

Hi Peter and welcome to TOC!

I've not come across anyone who has done this modification in the UK but have a look at: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/70754-06-rav4-drivers-seat-mods.html

I'd be very wary about doing anything to the seat mounts/position without consulting your insurance company. They might well take a dim view of a claim if you ever had to make one after an accident and you had altered what is essentially a "safety system".

I'm 6'-3" so have a great deal of sympathy with your predicament, but you do need to think of the design concept for the seat position: If you move the seat 6" further back the seatbelt anchorages are in effect 6" further forward and this results in an increased load on the belt and mount in event of an accident as well as an increased possibility of the driver slipping from behind the shoulder section of the belt. All of these loads are taken into account at the design stage using a range of driver sizes ( - but not I suspect ones with very long legs or who are very tall overall! ) and you are altering the loads substantially in moving the seat outside it's design envelope. My advice would be to raise the matter tentatively with your Insurance Company before starting the job. Very sorry if this is not the answer you were hoping for.

looking at the drivers seat runner on the 4.3 it looks as tho you can unbolt and move the seat to a different position.

Keith.

In addition to Chris's point, don't forget the air bags are designed to reach the current position too. I'm sure they will stand a couple of inches but don't get carried away.

Odd response to questions to Saga Insurance but then they aren't experts on the desk:

Suggested not a problem with modification.

When asked how to check if OK I was told it would be answered when completing application with mods to vehicle.

No result there then.

Good ideas about seat rails but doesn't seem to apply to a 4.1 :(

Air bags fine. I'll keep in mind.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links