Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Hybrid Mudflaps And Rubber Mats

RedYarisMan

I Have taken delivery of a Yaris Hybrid T4 this week.

I Would like to fit the car with mud flaps front and rear and a set of rubber mats.

MY local dealer has quoted £104 for the mudflaps and rubber mats.

IS this a good price? I looked on eBay and only found them for £2 less.

Are the mudflaps easy to fit?

And do the Toyota rubber mats smell very strongly of rubber?

For the sake of £ 2 I would go to your local dealer........Is the eBay seller a Toyota dealer?

On my recently purchased Yaris I negotiated front and rear mudflaps and carpet mats within the price of the car

Yes the eBay seller is a Toyota dealer.

The dealer that sold me the car was not interested in selling me any mats or mudflaps.

As regards the rubber mats, you could have a look at http://www.ukcarmats.co.uk/toyota-yaris-hitech-vs-rubber-car-mats-2010-tailored-floor-mats.html

They're the retail part of HiTech Autoparts who make OE car mats for a variety of manufacturers (eg Mercedes) - recently featured in Autocar (http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=118266)

Yes the eBay seller is a Toyota dealer.

The dealer that sold me the car was not interested in selling me any mats or mudflaps.

The dealer that I bought my Yaris from fitted flaps and mats free of charge :)

On my Mk1 Yaris, the front mudflaps were very easy to fit (2 screws each, pilot holes already in the wheel lining, just needed cleaning out and screwed straight in with a stubby screwdriver)

Rears looked trickier as there isn't enough space for a screwdriver, plus I couldnt see any holes so may require a bit of drilling? That would mean the rear wheels would have to come off which means jacks so I didn't bother with the rear flaps :lol:

Most rubber mats smell for a bit when new; I doubt Toyota's are any different.

On my Mk1 Yaris, the front mudflaps were very easy to fit (2 screws each, pilot holes already in the wheel lining, just needed cleaning out and screwed straight in with a stubby screwdriver)

Rears looked trickier as there isn't enough space for a screwdriver, plus I couldnt see any holes so may require a bit of drilling? That would mean the rear wheels would have to come off which means jacks so I didn't bother with the rear flaps :lol:

Most rubber mats smell for a bit when new; I doubt Toyota's are any different.[/quote

If i need to take the rear wheels off that's no good. As i don't think i got a jack with the car as no space wheel or spacesaver.

Re smelly rubber mats i ordered a set of custom made mats when we purchased my wife's car four years ago. They smelt so much they are still on the garage floor today. And she had my old Wallace and Grommet rubber mats out of my car. They did not smell much even when new.

You'll have to look on yours as mine is a Mk1 D4D and yours is a Mk3 HSD so it may be different.

I'd be a bit worried if your mats still smell! They naturally smell a bit when new as there are some volatile compounds in the rubber which evaporate but that shouldn't last that long, esp. if people are tramping on them with boots and shoes.

My rubber mats are cheapo-ones from Halfords; Had that 'new rubber mat' smell for a month or so but now I can't smell anything weird. Fixed it to the car floor by stabbing a hole through one of the grid cells where the mat hook is :lol:

i don't think i got a jack with the car as no space wheel or spacesaver.

That's weird, I got a spacesaver with mine :clap: (bought the car last October)

I'm considering getting mudflaps fitted when it goes in for its service in a couple of months, still dithering...

It's worth it, at least for the fronts; My previous Mk1 had front and back flaps but when I bought this one it had none at all and the difference in splatter on the sides was incredible!

If I'd gone through any puddles at all, especially on curved roads, the lower third of my front doors and lower side edge would be filthy with dirt. With the flaps on the fronts, practically nothing :yahoo:

Do wish I'd put them on sooner as there are some stone scores on the lower side edge which I'm sure the flap would have prevented. The main reason I only put them on was because of that horrible stone-striking-metal sound I was getting on some of the more poorly maintained roads. It's amazing what effect such a tiny bit of plastic has!

i don't think i got a jack with the car as no space wheel or spacesaver.

That's weird, I got a spacesaver with mine :clap: (bought the car last October)

I'm considering getting mudflaps fitted when it goes in for its service in a couple of months, still dithering...

Re the lack of any sort of spare wheel. Toyota like many other manufactures must have now decided we don't need a spare, or even a rubbish spacesaver.

All UK spec Yaris's only get a Tyre repair kit.

I have had mudflaps fitted to all my cars since I had a motoring holiday in Finland about 25 years ago. They where compulsory due to loose surfaced roads.

I'm just not very good at fitting the things.

I have no idea why most people dont fit mudflaps. The car looks better, keeps cleaner and they reduce spray.

Ok, so the mudflaps are really easy to fit and I have done this on 2 Yaris and 3 Prius models. I have never found the need to remove the rear wheels, but it can be fiddly and it helps if you can use a screwdriver bit fitted in a ratchet handle. Also mark the oles using a bradawl - that way you can create a 'start' for the screws. Or you can remove the wheels if you dont like fiddling :)

Rubber mats dont need much installation at all, but the dealer will quote a standard 30minutes (of course).

As for prices, why not send a PM to PartsKing on this website. He has often helped out members of this forum.

Anyway - good Luck!!

damn... you've all convinced me that I need mudflaps :P Front looks very easy and straightforward so I'll do these and will let the dealership sort out the rear when the car goes for its service.

The loss of the spare is possibly some cost-cutting exercise... though I am glad a space saver was included when I bought mine. I've just looked on the Toyota website, and other than the price having gone up (but there's a "free" insurance offer ;) ) the space saver is still showing as included as standard on the yaris hybrid... they might want to update that really.

damn... you've all convinced me that I need mudflaps :P Front looks very easy and straightforward so I'll do these and will let the dealership sort out the rear when the car goes for its service.

The loss of the spare is possibly some cost-cutting exercise... though I am glad a space saver was included when I bought mine. I've just looked on the Toyota website, and other than the price having gone up (but there's a "free" insurance offer ;) ) the space saver is still showing as included as standard on the yaris hybrid... they might want to update that really.

When I bought my Yaris Trend (May 2013) it had the tyre repair gunk as standard and was supplied with a jack. This is the 2013 spec for all Yaris's

I negotiated with the dealer to exchange the repair gunk for a spacesaver spare at no extra cost :)

For total peace of mind I have purchased an aftermarket emergency tyre repair kit complete with compressor from Amazon which fits neatly within the spacesaver wheel.....hopefully never to be used!

I have Toyota-supplied rubber front and rear mats in my 2009 Yaris TR. Quite pricey (£61) but keeps the carpets from getting dirty and are easy to clean. Didn't notice a strong smell of rubber when new.

John

Just to up date. I got the Rubber mats, and front and rear mud flaps from my local dealer yesterday.

The mats smell a little bit, but not bad at all. I'm sure they will do a good job of protecting the floor in the Autumn and Winter, and they look good quality.

I have fitted the front mudflaps with no problem at all. Although they are the smallest mudflaps I have ever seen that where nor on a toy car!

The rear mudflaps look more complicated. The instructions do suggest removing the rear wheels. A job for someone else I think.

Thank you all for your replies.

They are really tiny, aren't they... received and fitted the front ones a few days ago. Am just wondering if there's any merit at all, other than for symmetry's sake :P in getting the rear ones too (which I'd get the dealer to fit - I can't be bothered taking the wheels off) given how the whole rear of the car gets so dirty so quickly anyway every time the road is even only slightly wet (a right PITA if I'm honest - it wasn't anywhere near as bad on the 206)

The fronts have the greatest effect and are dead easy to fit - No-brainer IMHO.

The rears really don't do much, at least on Mk1 D4D Yarisisususeses :lol:

Looking at the back of mine (No rear flaps) and the back of my brother's (Has rear flaps), the dirt accumulation isn't much different. I will say that the rears seem to slightly reduce the 'rooster tail' you get when going fast in torrential rain, not not by a lot (Frankly, the difference I observed could have been the difference between 2-month-old CPC5s on my wheels and 2-year-old CPC2E's on my brother's!)

Given that they cost more than the fronts and are much more of a ballache to fit, it's hard to recommend, esp. since the rear edge of the Yaris is so short. On mine, the slight flaring of the rear wheel arch catches most of the side-spray already and I don't care about the back-spray (That's a present for the tailgater behind me :naughty: ).

Funny you mention how quickly the back gets dirty; I do find the back of mine gets much dirtier than the rest of the car (Even the insect-splattered front!) and still don't know why! It's like it just sucks all the dirt in the atmosphere onto the boot lip :lol: The fact that mine is a diesel probably doesn't help either :lol:

It's physics and airflows :P Hatchbacks are just more prone to it due to their shape, but I've used the rear washer jet more in the past 10 months with the Yaris than in 10 years with the 206 :lol: the rears of those cars are fairly different, and I had the 206 lowered a bit at the rear so that could have possibly played a part in limiting the amount of rubbish getting sucked back up to the rear window

Edit: according to the Toyota website, rear flaps are £52.50 inc. vat & fitting (and the same for the front flaps which is taking the p a bit given how quick and easy they are to fit!)

All the Yaris cars I've owned got dirty very quickly at the back, while front, rear and sides were relatively clean. My 1.33 is the same. The back is always very dirty after being out in the rain. It could be due to air flow as the back end is relatively upright.

It's physics and airflows :P Hatchbacks are just more prone to it due to their shape, but I've used the rear washer jet more in the past 10 months with the Yaris than in 10 years with the 206 :lol: the rears of those cars are fairly different, and I had the 206 lowered a bit at the rear so that could have possibly played a part in limiting the amount of rubbish getting sucked back up to the rear window

Edit: according to the Toyota website, rear flaps are £52.50 inc. vat & fitting (and the same for the front flaps which is taking the p a bit given how quick and easy they are to fit!)

I hardly ever have to wipe the back window. I don't find the back getting excessively dirty, or maybe I'm just used to it :) I have to agree though, the flaps on the new shape Yaris were shockingly small when I first got it, I'm used to them now though and they seem to do a good enough job.

I saw a hybrid Yaris a few weeks ago in a car park with bigger Toyota branded flaps on it. At first I thought they must have got different ones on the hydrid, so I had to get closer to check. For a minute I thought I might order some, til I got closer. They'd still got the tiny Yaris flaps on but they'd attached these other ones onto the backs of them. It looked the part from a reasonably far away distance, though I couldn't have that, it would annoy me by not being 'perfect'.

Either you're used to it or your roads are much cleaner :lol: It's actually not so bad when it's bucketing down, but really annoying when it's not raining much or just stopped but the roads are obviously still wet in which case the dirt builds up really fast.

And that "layered look" you saw doesn't sound quite right!

I now have the rear mudflaps fitted as well . My brother in law fitted them in about five minutes. He did not need to take the wheels off. But need to drill two holes each side, into the edge of the bumper. Not a job for me. But very easy money for a Toyota dealership. On top of the large profit margin they must have on the price they charge for the mudflaps.

Here's hoping they protect the car a little, they sure won't cause much drag to increase fuel consumption.

Either you're used to it or your roads are much cleaner :lol: It's actually not so bad when it's bucketing down, but really annoying when it's not raining much or just stopped but the roads are obviously still wet in which case the dirt builds up really fast.

And that "layered look" you saw doesn't sound quite right!

Yes, a bad DIY job :)