Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid Hill Start Assist?

Phil_1985

Hi all, please bare with me I have little knowledge about toyota hsd's and the correct terminologies!

I recently had a Yaris hybrid as a courtesy car for three days from my local dealer...

I soon discovered that it had the hill start assist function (unsure if this is toyotas offical term for it) where it is activated by depressing the brake pedal firmly when at a stand still.

Why does it have this feature? Would a hybrid roll back on a steep incline?

Most autos won't roll (I say most.. referring to torque convertor/cvt and not those mmt boxes!) However what about a hybrid with it's e-cvt? (unsure if correct hsd term again sorry)

If it is a very steep hill there is a risk that it will roll back because the amount of "creep" of the car is not enough to overcome gravity pulling it backwards.

The hill start assist is there just to give you that 2 seconds to get your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator.

Or you could use the handbrake.

I think it's more a case of recent cars do tend to have hill assist, rather than something hybrid-specific. Can't really see the point of it tbh, but then I was born and raised in the Alps so doing hill starts (using the handbrake) is pretty much second nature

Like Yolina, I don't see much point in it as you do have the handbrake. I can say the car will roll back and it doesn't need much gradient. The concern is not just following traffic, but also the handbook warning(in the case of the Auris) that it will damage the transmission.

I find Hill Start Assist a great feature.

It's just less faffing around which is what having an automatic is all about.

Also, the gen3 Prius doesn't have a handbrake (it is foot operated) so HSA is very welcome ;)

Yeah I can see the point with the foot operated "handbrake" on Pgen3, but the Yaris hsd has a traditional handbrake. Honestly I'd much rather rely on that for hill starts. I'm not entirely convinced HSA would cope with the really steep gradients we have back home but maybe I'm wrong there - still, not driving all the way there just to find out!

Agree with the above, great feature on an Prius with a foot operated handbrake, maybe a little OTT with an Auris but a nice feature to have

Kingo :thumbsup:

I have rolled to a stop on a hill (1 in 6 maybe?) and the car rolled back a fraction then halted...i then had to get a move on as the traffic started moving again.

I dont really trust that the car wont roll back so i will use hill start every now and then when i would traditionally use clutch control to keep my self level before moving.

One thing I don't get is why they don't use an electronic parking brake that seems to have become popular in some other autobox cars.

They're nifty as you just push a button to engage the brake, and when you want to go you just move off and it automatically disengages! :D

I'm not entirely convinced HSA would cope with the really steep gradients we have back home

Hill Start Assist keeps the main brakes applied when you take your foot off the brake pedal.

So HSA can cope very well with really steep hills.

If it couldn't, your normal brakes wouldn't either and you would be in deep doo doo.

HSA also works in reverse gear :)

• 6 years later...

Hi im looking for a petrol yaris with hill assist 

Moved to the Yaris club.

We have hills here!  Always use the handbrake.  

Nothing else is reliable enough. The "hill start assist" is there and works, but it gives a tad less than a second leeway, that's all.  Certainly not two seconds, so is pointless IMHO.

Mick.

Do all Yaris Hybrid have the hil start assist as , I do not think mine has a 2015 Icon . The wifes Auris does and find it a pain as I reverse down a hill and if I touch the brake it comes on

The Yaris Hybrid has hill start assist, and I find it very useful not having to use the handbrake when on the road. I only have to use the handbrake when parking on an incline when exiting the car, which I believe is what it’s there for.

1 hour ago, stevecrvn said:

Do all Yaris Hybrid have the hil start assist as , I do not think mine has a 2015 Icon . The wifes Auris does and find it a pain as I reverse down a hill and if I touch the brake it comes on

All Auris hybrids has the hill assist, first gen Auris you need to press the brake very hard to the floor and esp yellow light will flash and the brakes will hold the car for 2 seconds. But why you ever need any of those when you can simply use your left foot for the normal brake and right for accelerator. Like an old school manual 😉👍

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

The Yaris Hybrid has hill start assist, and I find it very useful not having to use the handbrake when on the road. I only have to use the handbrake when parking on an incline when exiting the car, which I believe is what it’s there for.

What do you do at junctions/traffic lights?

Hopefully not keeping your foot on the brake pedal.

Mick.

5 hours ago, Mick F said:

What do you do at junctions/traffic lights?

Hopefully not keeping your foot on the brake pedal.

Mick.

That’s exactly what I’ve been doing Mick, otherwise I would have to use the handbrake. Is what I’m doing not recommended?. And the reason why I shouldn’t be  doing it would be much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Bernard Foy said:

That’s exactly what I’ve been doing Mick, otherwise I would have to use the handbrake. Is what I’m doing not recommended?. And the reason why I shouldn’t be  doing it would be much appreciated.

Hi Bernard, it's a hobby-horse of mine .

If the hill start assist only lasts a couple of seconds (mine lasts about a second) and you said that you only use the handbrake when you leave the vehicle on a slope, what do you do at junctions or traffic lights if you have to remain stopped for a couple of minutes?

Stopped in traffic, you must set your handbrake so that your brake lights aren't on ....... and annoying and dazzling people like me behind. Highway Code Rule 114.

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.

Mick.

Re rule 114 of the Highway Code. From his profile Bernard doesn't live in the UK, so the UK Highway Code doesn't apply.

oops!

Sorry, but the point still applies, doesn't it?  Don't we have to consider other road-users?

Mick.

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Re rule 114 of the Highway Code. From his profile Bernard doesn't live in the UK, so the UK Highway Code doesn't apply.

3 hours ago, Mick F said:

oops!

Sorry, but the point still applies, doesn't it?  Don't we have to consider other road-users?

Mick.

It’s a good point Mick, even though I rarely drive at night, and traffic lights are few and far between where I live. I would imagine that it wouldn’t apply or dazzle anyone during daylight hours. But I think the Highway Code is the same in the Rep of Ireland, so every day is a school day 👍.

3 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Republic has 'Rules of the Road' and I don't think dazzle from rear lights is specifically covered - http://www.rotr.ie/Rules_of_the_road.pdf

Frosty it’s obvious why you are a top man, it’s over 55yrs since I saw a copy of the Rules of the Road, and our driving test was a much simpler test than it is now. In fact on the day of my test my exhaust fell off halfway through and I stopped got out picked it up off the road threw it into the boot and with the car sounding like a jet plane he still passed me fit to drive 🤣😂👏👏

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links