Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Visible Screw In Footwell?

Japanese-Car-Fan

When I got home from collecting my new IQ3 from the dealer, I noticed that a screw is visible in the passenger footwell. Is this normal? I reported it to the dealer and we checked another new one, and it too had the same screw showing. But it appears to me like it's missing a cover, as surely Toyota wouldn't design a lovely interior but not finish the job with a cover that would probably cost 20p? Do all IQs have this, or am I missing a piece?

tn_gallery_133535_1604_178198.jpg

Jon.

Hi Jonathan, My IQ has the same screw showing, and as it is a second hand car for me I assumed. that a small plastic cover was missing,

I also would have thought it is "poor finish" if it is like that from new.

I would also be intrested to know if all IQ's have this screw showing ?

This is a subject we dealt with on another iQ forum. It is standard in all iQ's, Toyota and Scion. It is the mounting spot for the footwell panel and like most Toyota / Scion cars it doesn't come with a cover.

One Scion iQ owner used a small black plastic cap to cover the screw. You could also paint it black to avoid drawing attention to it.

Thanks for the above clarification Taz, its "poor quality design and finish" from Toyota in my personal view.

Sometimes it's the "attention to small details" in design and finish that make the differentiation between a high quality product and one that is perceived otherwise.

The lack of quality finishes inside an IQ is one of its poor points:

IE - Cheap looking plastics

- Cheap looking

- Thin and flimsy

- Finishes that scratch very easily

- Carpets that are poor quality from a wear perspective

- Lack of attention to detail as mentioned in this specific post

Perhaps I have been used to too many Merc's / Audi's / BMW's / in past years that just are the opposite, this makes me notice and often become critical of some aspects the IQ design.

This sums up Toyota as a Company for me. and one reason I will not buy another one.

Such a pity as the IQ specificaly has so many good points as well related to its design concept.

Again we need to compare Apples Pears & Lemons.

iQ's new, Almost half the price of any other than the very cheapest Merc, BMW or Audi unless a bargain basement one that needs as much as 50% of a iQ new price to have any standard of equipment.

Merc A series about the only small model of those cars,

or maybe a pretty expensive A2 as a iQ alternative. Then came a A1, lovely Interiors.

Only now are BMW away to build a competitor.

(I do love A2's by the way, a car ahead of its time, & a Future Classic i think.)

Toyota iQ Designed & Built to be 'Light',

Keep Emissions Low, keep Taxes & Duties low.

Very new in design, ideas, execution & must have cost to produce but needed to be built to a price.

Selling from 2009 - 2013 and interiors have changed a little over those 4-5 years since the first builds.

Does what it was designed to do very well IMO.

When going to buy one new or used, everything is there to see, nothing really is hidden or a surprise other than 2 hidden compartments,

so basically right from the first look around you know what you are buying.

& if thats a Used one, then you see how it has worn with use, wear and tear with previous owners.

Wunderba Cars for the Money IMO.

So i am prepared to forgive them a few little items that they night have done differently,

when they no longer build them, i am not sure that new Euro 6 Emission cars will be an improvement.

george

Mine did have a cover on that screw when I got the car (9 month old), It came off when I fitted my footwell lights and doesn’t want to stay back on now (I think it lives in the cup holder now). Just needs a dab of silicone to hold it in place.

As for the cheap flimsy plastics, the ones I have noticed, and only really noticed them by prodding and poking where you wouldn’t normally are:

Drivers knee panel – can’t remember ever having the need to lean on it though, so flimsy works.

Centre console surround – it’s just a cover really doesn’t need to be made of ¼ inch thick armoured plastic, it doesn’t take any strain or weight just hides bits from view.

Steering column shroud – like above it’s just a cover you only see and don’t use for putting any weight on.

I get the impression Bob that you will not be happy with the iQ until you have found every single niggle and compared it to much more expensive cars. Maybe you would be happier selling it and buy back one of your old Mercs. For me, the fact that Aston Martin are willing to put their Badge and name on a iQ says a lot.

That "screw" is actually a panel fixing barbed stud that allows speedy assembly by just pushing the panel over it, to retain the panel.

A lot of the IQ panels are quick release/quick replace and it will certainly save time in production but does leave an unfinished look and possible rattles.

I have no problem with it, part of the IQs charm and innovation and easily disguised if you really want to.

I tend to research a car before I buy it and if there are things I dont like, I move on to a different make, rather than buy it and then find fault with just about everything the car has to offer. That is a recipe for real personal dissatisfaction with the car and the company that made it.

John

• Like 1

Sometimes I wonder why people bought an iQ, All they seem to do is complain about them!!!!! (Not aimed at Jon, the original poster by the way, perfectly valid question)

I too have the same barbed stud holding the trim panel on. I only notice it when I'm in the footwell cleaning the interior, other than that, I never notice it.

As Taz said, A quick splash with some Humbrol will hide it or maybe some black insulation tape could be wrapped around it.

Craig.

Perhaps a different view on IQ issues and potential improvements:

I judge all my cars based upon the standards I have set myself and also am fully aware of the principle of "cognitive dissonance" that are at work within us all the time.

I also try not to fall into the trap of allowing inner emotional drive to hold all our attitudes and beliefs in harmony and avoid any disharmony.

I am critical of every car I have owned, as it serves to provide feedback to myself and to others to improve and re enforce the principles of continuas improvements in engineering design and quality that deserves to be improved for the benifit of us all.

My idea is that "all feedback is good providing it is percieved to be the truth by the person giving it"

I could just as easily write a list of things that could be improved about Merc's / BMW's / Audi's etc, and have done so often in the past.

This forum is about Toyota IQ's so the focus of my comments are determined by this.

Often a car purchase is a "emotional decision" rather than a "considered judgement based upon real needs". Aston Martin marketing department know this only too well, thats why its one of the top emotional car choice by most people on planet earth.

If this forum was just alone a IQ "mutual appreciation forum" (as may IQ forum posts are only about) then what would be its use other than to re enforce our own ego's to ensure we are convinced that we have made the right purchasing decision hence making us all feel good about ourselfs.

I have chosen to buy the IQ after a lot of on line research and a number of test drives and the IQ serves my current needs quite well in terms of total cost of ownership and daily running costs. I plan to keep my IQ for a number of years at the moment as my annual miles are only 5000 per year and that means I wish my IQ to stay on the road until it has reached 130,000 miles or more, that means another 18 years from now.

It will be intresting for me to see if my little IQ can achieve that goal.

I hope this explains my motivation regarding my comments that could improve the design and quality of the IQ.

Positive Regards to all,

Bob Kneale.

• Like 1

I judge all my cars based upon the standards I have set myself and also am fully aware of the principle of "cognitive dissonance" that are at work within us all the time.

I also try not to fall into the trap of allowing inner emotional drive to hold all our attitudes and beliefs in harmony and avoid any disharmony.

I am critical of every car I have owned, as it serves to provide feedback to myself and to others to improve and re enforce the principles of continuas improvements in engineering design and quality that deserves to be improved for the benifit of us all.

My idea is that "all feedback is good providing it is percieved to be the truth by the person giving it"

I could just as easily write a list of things that could be improved about Merc's / BMW's / Audi's etc, and have done so often in the past.

This forum is about Toyota IQ's so the focus of my comments are determined by this.

Often a car purchase is a "emotional decision" rather than a "considered judgement based upon real needs". Aston Martin marketing department know this only too well, thats why its one of the top emotional car choice by most people on planet earth.

If this forum was just alone a IQ "mutual appreciation forum" (as may IQ forum posts are only about) then what would be its use other than to re enforce our own ego's to ensure we are convinced that we have made the right purchasing decision hence making us all feel good about ourselfs.

I have chosen to buy the IQ after a lot of on line research and a number of test drives and the IQ serves my current needs quite well in terms of total cost of ownership and daily running costs. I plan to keep my IQ for a number of years at the moment as my annual miles are only 5000 per year and that means I wish my IQ to stay on the road until it has reached 130,000 miles or more, that means another 18 years from now.

I hope this explains my motivation regarding my comments that could improve the design and quality of the IQ.

Positive Regards to all,

Bob Kneale.

Good luck Bob........Let us just hope that you last as long as you anticipate that your IQ will :)

• Like 1

Positive Regards to all,

Bob Kneale.

Good luck Bob........Let us just hope that you last as long as you anticipate that your IQ will :)

Ah if I last that long is another subject ! However perhaps a few people might now understand that I am perhaps more committed to my IQ than most, How many current IQ owners are planning to keep there IQ for up to 18 years ? Positive Regards, Bob.

• Like 1

Positive Regards to all,

Bob Kneale.

Ah if I last that long is another subject ! However perhaps a few people might now understand that I am perhaps more committed to my IQ than most, How many current IQ owners are planning to keep there IQ for up to 18 years ? Positive Regards, Bob.

Maybe they will bury your IQ alongside you if you go first! ;)

• Like 1

Doubt it, that screw will bug him to eternity ;)

Positive Regards to all,

Bob Kneale.

Maybe they will bury your IQ alongside you if you go first! ;)

Perhaps my IQ will go into a museum after me !

Thanks for the replies, I've started a positive debate which is good! I love my IQ and won't be hiding the screw. But my gut instinct when I noticed it was that there, was that a part was missing. I've owned some very expensive cars and some very cheap ones, but have never seen such an exposed screw before (even in my old Smarts). It's almost as though someone couldn't be bothered to finish the job. It can't be cost related. Anyway life goes on and I'm not going to worry about it.

PS. I will post a review after I've done 1,000 miles, with good and bad things (in my opinion), mostly very good so far.

Jon.

Looks a nice car Jon, Don't see many red ones out there and not many iQ3's either.

Is yours a CVT transmission or the 6 speed manual like mine?

Craig.

Craig, thanks yes it's a lovely car. Sort of looks like the "city racer" concept but without the decals. It's actually Burnt Orange. I was considering red but I read a review describing it as a "Noddy" car and that stuck in my mind. I actually wish I'd got grey now as I saw one the other day and it looked much better in real life. Typical. I've got the CVT. My previous car was manual but my 3 prior cars to that we're all autos, and I wanted to go back to lazy driving as most of the time I'm doing 1mph in Hertford on my way to work. I didn't test drive a CVT to took a bit of a gamble, but I'm more than happy with it and I'm surprised that a lot of reviewers say get the manual instead.

Jon.

Oooooh, I like the burnt orange even more. I have seen a Decuma grey iQ3 on the road near my home and it does look very good. Unique colour to the iQ3 as well so no mistaking it.

I got the manual transmission and never test drove the CVT. I wish I had now though as my last car was an Auto and I loved that but I'm more than happy with the 6 speed box but still think I should have tried the CVT before making the choice. I did buy used though so not that many iQ3's out there to choose from and even less CVT iQ3's to choose out of those.

Maybe I'll get a CVT one when I upgrade to the Aston Martin Cygnet in a few years time. :)

Craig.

Back to the "threaded stud" I can tell you if you remove the panel more than 2-3 times then the plastic grips snap off £32 + vat for a new one Ouch!!

David

You cannot be serious?!!............ (the ball was in, chalk flew up, etc ,etc)

How on earth can that price be justified?

John

Oooooh, I like the burnt orange even more. I have seen a Decuma grey iQ3 on the road near my home and it does look very good. Unique colour to the iQ3 as well so no mistaking it.

I got the manual transmission and never test drove the CVT. I wish I had now though as my last car was an Auto and I loved that but I'm more than happy with the 6 speed box but still think I should have tried the CVT before making the choice. I did buy used though so not that many iQ3's out there to choose from and even less CVT iQ3's to choose out of those.

Maybe I'll get a CVT one when I upgrade to the Aston Martin Cygnet in a few years time. :)

Craig.

Craig.....Decuma Grey is not unique to the IQ 3 as I have it on my 2013 Yaris Trend and it was used on the old Corolla Compressors

I also have the CVT box which gives probably the smoothest drive that you could get from a small car........Such a shame that you did not give one a test drive....I feel sure that you would have been impressed :)

If its good enough for Aston Martin to use with the Cygnet then it is really good!

Decuma Grey was available on the 2010 facelifted Auris as well.

Must be getting soft in my old age, I have now chosen just to "forgive Toyota" for the visible screw in the passenger footwell !

• Like 1

Must be getting soft in my old age, I have now chosen just to "forgive Toyota" for the visible screw in the passenger footwell !

I should hope so too!..........It is, after all one of the "features" that makes the IQ unIQue ;)

• Like 1

I was impressed when I first noticed the covers over the screw heads in the hand grips on top of the arm rests. These screws are magnets for dirt and gunk, and easily get rusted up over the life of the car with every other Toyota product that we have owned. Not so with the iQ.

Why they didn't choose to do the same thing with the footwell stud puzzles me a bit, but I don't mind it.