Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox

mais183

hello all,

i have a problem with third gear on my celica st162(gen 4), if i drive fast and push in to third quickly, it grinds, but if i do it slowly it is ok plz does anyone know if this is my gearbox needing replacement.

cheers :thumbsup:

Sounds like the synco is going. I am gutted because I literally threw my 2 perfectly good gear boxes away just last week.

No-one wanted them, so hence scrapping them off!! :eek:

cool - just wot i wanted to hear :lol:

is always the way, i realise i do need a gearbox, but would it be straight forward to replace, as i have replaced the steering rack b4 on old celica, so not worried about getting in and doing it, just concerned on wether i have to lift the engine out :crybaby: - or just drop gearbox side far enuff to remove?

a mechanic friend(in a reputable garage) says he will remove and fit gearbox for £200!

should i just save up, or should i get my hands really dirty(again) and fit myself?

cheers all :thumbsup:

my st162 does the same thing in third. i thought it was the rear mount going bad.

it also does it at high rpm into first gear.

does your linkage feel reel sloppy? mine seems to have alot of play in it.

I recently purchased an ST182 Celica and it had the same problem.

I was curious as to why it would only do this when cold - if it was really warm weather then it was less of a problem.

I spent a little while digging through the mess of receipts that came with the car - only to find that it had the clutch changed 25k miles ago - and they were even kind enough to specify which oil they put in there. I was pretty sure it was the wrong stuff, so checked the manual and internet.

Yes - they had put in the wrong grade oil. So, up on ramps it went and out came the old oil and in went some Castrol Dexron III.

A few miles up and down the road, then checked the level again - all fine.

The crunch still hasn't gone, but it's certainly a lot lot lot lot better!!! It now only crunches when it's very cold. Once warmed up, it doesn't do it at all.

New syncro is still on the cards, but not for a while - at least until I can afford it!

My thanks for the tip actually goes to our local Toyota Dealer - very helpful.

all to do with oil viscosity cold oil is thick and therefore has more drag.

you can try putting ATF (yes that is Auto Transmission Fluid) might help if its just starting to go. i use this in the rolla and it hasnt caused any probs so far and thats with over 350bhp.

fairly easy to swap can be done with the car on axle stands as long as its high enough to get the box out underneath.

its also a help if you hae an engine hoist or a few mates to help lift it back on cos they are a bit heavy. or get a pair of tressels one either side and a length of wood (will need to be heavy duty) and a ratchet strap to lift it up and down.

lee

cool chrs-

like the ratchet strap idea :thumbsup:

have just got some cash so will be looking to buy a gearbox very soon, my clutch has started slipping too so good time as any to get that out the way.

steering rack........ does anyone know of problems with rack thats not leak related, i seem to have a small knock when rocking the steering wheel, at every point from centre to left or right?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links