Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Touring Sports Hybrid Picked Up- Some Problems

Nicolai

So, I picked it up friday. The car delivers good mpg (as expected) but I have some niggles:

Dealer forgot to put manual service book in the car. This was collected on monday.

It's a very bumpy/shaky ride- not at all what I remember from the test drive of an identical ('cept colour) car. Bridgestone tires- perhaps they need balancing? Driving on perfect surfaces feels like constant bumps and holes. Very irritating. My Swift and good tires from factory. Never needed balancing and NEVER felt like the Auris does. Do new tires need to be "broken in"? I think not, but I'm not sure.

I have a few rattles in the cabin too when doing 50-60 mph. Sounds like they are coming from passenger/dash board or glovebox area.

Have you checked the tyre pressures??

No- I take for granted that they are spot on on a new car that was delivered on friday and has only done 75 miles. Moreover, I do not have a "tyre pressure measurement device". I am aware that you can inflate tires at the petrol stations but, on here, I have read that the accuracy in the equipment used such places is a "hit and miss".

New tyres can feel a little harsh untill bedded in (About 500 miles)........but as said above...check tyre pressures...Buy yourself a tyre pressure gauge to avoid errors at the petrol stations

No- I take for granted that they are spot on on a new car that was delivered on friday and has only done 75 miles.

Might be different in your country but when I picked my gen3 up (brand new only 4 miles on the clock), the tyres were under inflated. :(

I agree with checking the type pressures, also in relation to the rattles where is your locking wheel nut set, the preferred storage seems to be in the glovebox and the loose nuts and key in the box can make an awful noise.

get yourself a foot-pump.......cheap as chips

My new Auris Excel Hybrid was under inflated too.

Was @29 psi should be 38 psi according to the sticker on the drivers door pillar.

A decent tyre pressure gauge will cost ==£5-10 from Halfrauds.

Well worth having & saves you 50p just to find all your pressures are ok.

If you check your pressures weekly (as you should),

then your purchase has paid for itself in less than 6 months.

The new cars seem to arriving with Dunlop SP Sport Fast Response ( on the UK 17" wheels at least)

From past experience, Dunlop are a fairly soft compound, and wear quickly,

Found them quite grippy, but as others have said, they need to 'bed in'.

Somewhere between 4 & 500 miles seems to do the trick.

Well that's my opinion anyhow, your experience may be different.

The rattle is probably the wheel key, as mentioned by an earlier poster.

They are always left in the glovebox, and the hard plastic box,

combined with the 4 old wheelnuts and the nut key, rattles like a banshee on a caffeine high.

Regards,

G...

Well, from memory, my wheel key is the boot. (underfloor storage compartment).

I have wind noise from left wing mirror too.

Will under inflated tires result in shaky, bumpy ride, like I have described?

My tires are Bridgestone Toyros.

Will get Continental for the winter.

Have you checked the glove box to see what, if anything, is in there.

Re the wind noise, have a look at http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/150761-wind-noise-auris-16-sport-2013/

The tyres may not be under-inflated - may be over-inflated. Check the pressures - even if it is at a garage/service area, until you buy a foot pump and/or tyre pressure gauge or similar.

Tricky to say; If it was a vibration at certain speeds, I'd suspect some of the wheels are unbalanced.

If it is a shaky/bumpy ride all the time, perhaps the wheels need aligning or the tyres are over-inflated (If they were under-inflated the ride would be softer unless it was so low you were running on the rims! :eek:).

Over-inflated LRR tyres on large rims give an especially harsh ride.

Even running at 38psi instead of the 32-35 on my Yaris' 14" rims and normal tyres gives a noticeably harsher ride (Saves me a chunk of fuel tho'! ;)).

I just keep my service book, manual and flyer from the anti rust company and a cd provided by them documenting the treatment my car received. Might be the CD (which is in a flyer/paper wrap?

Will there be no problem in removing the sticker on the wing mirrors, I mean if a model no. is needed later on?

If you have a manufacturer sticker between the mirror head and the mirror arm, it was supposed to be removed as part of the pre-sale valeting - so remove it.

By the way, I noticed that while going downhill with a fully charged Battery, the car keeps sending energy to the Battery. I just roll down the hills no need to use friction brakes, so my question is: should I use B with the intention of ONLY preventing the Battery to be overcharged?

I suggest you just drive the car

By the way, I noticed that while going downhill with a fully charged battery, the car keeps sending energy to the battery. I just roll down the hills no need to use friction brakes, so my question is: should I use B with the intention of ONLY preventing the battery to be overcharged?

No.

One of the car's many computers is responsible for managing the HV Battery State of Charge, you can not overcharge the Battery. If necessary the car will use up some of the stored energy to bring the SoC down. Remember that the lowest bar to highest on the HV Battery gauge is between approx 40% to 80% real SoC.

I thought so. It raises the question, however, as to why the Touch and Go energy monitor then keeps showing energy flowing to the Battery?

Just enjoy driving your new car and do not let the displays distract you from that enjoyment :)

• Like 1

I thought so. It raises the question, however, as to why the Touch and Go energy monitor then keeps showing energy flowing to the battery?

It is an "indication" just like the fuel guage is an "indication" of what fuel you have in the tank, it's not an exact science, if it were the space shuttle you might need the "indication" to be a little more precise. Stop worrying and drive your wonderful new car

Kingo :thumbsup:

Nicolai, You seem to worry about very minor issues instead of enjoying driving your car. If you are not pleased with the car go and tell the dealer who you purchased the car from what problems you have with the vehicle.

I do enjoy it especially the fuel economy. But I will enjoy it even more when the wheels/tires and wind noise have been taken care of.

Nicolai's exemplar thoroughness has prompted me to re-examine my own purchase.

My Yaris Hybrid is perfect for me...but is it perhaps too perfect? Why am I not finding numerous problems with it? Why does it continually refuse to disappoint in any area so far? Is the fuel it uses too petrol like?

I tells you it's a constant worry..... :ermm:

• Like 1

My Yaris Hybrid is perfect for me...but is it perhaps too perfect?

Sounds like a line from Top Gear :)
  • Like 1

Went to the dealer. Drove perhaps 15 miles before parking at their door. Mechanic agreed car was a bit bumpy and said the tires need "break in" (car has only done 186 miles in total). Just before I left, the mechanic went and got a tyre pressure gauge and it showed 14.5 psi too much compared to recommended pressure. I now have 37 PSI all around. Then, it wasn't until I just got home I realized that due the 15 miles prior to the mechanic driving the car for an additional maybe 7 miles, would my tires be categorized as warm and hereby unsuitable for checking tyre pressures?

I have read that when the tires are warm, the pressure increases (hot air expands) but I guess increasing by 14.5 psi is impossible? Still a little bumpy but definitely better. I will allow the tires to be run in until I hit the 300 miles mark and then see what things are like.

Living less than a mile from a petrol station with "free air check self-service", I feel a bit stupid buying foot pump and gauge. But if the gauge at the petrol station is off....