Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Touring Sports Hybrid Picked Up- Some Problems

Nicolai

Perhaps you need to get your tires filled with Nitrogen rather than air....

Tyre pressures should be checked when the tyres are cold. It does sound as though the tyres were originally over-inflated, but if air was taken out of them whilst the tyres were still warm and after a period of driving, you may now have under-inflated tyres.

Tyre pressures rise by around 3 psi after the vehicle has been driven - so I would estimate the cold tyre pressures on your Auris will be around 34psi.

Your best bet is to check the tyre pressures yourself when the tyres are cold, and before any period of driving.

Back in 2005 the AA Motoring Trust did a survey of tyre pressure gauges at 53 garages/service stations mainly on popular holiday routes. Half of the gauges were accurate to within 5%. More than 15% were more than 10% inaccurate, and overall 40% of the gauges were inaccurate.

Get yourself a decent tyre pressure gauge and either a foot pump or electric pump - and use the tyre pressure gauge for taking your readings, rather than use any pump-mounted gauge.

.......................................Mechanic agreed car was a bit bumpy and said the tires need "break in" (car has only done 186 miles in total). ....................

I'm sure I heard something along those lines when I took my Battery in. Perhaps we should have a rogues' gallery of dealer lame excuses. No help, but it does make me feel a little better that it is not just a UK problem.

PS: How much do you guys over-inflate to improve mpg?

How quickly a tyre becomes too warm is irrelevant - there is no point in trying to judge whether a tyre is too warm to gain an accurate pressure reading.

Tyre pressures should be checked when the tyre is cold.

As regards foot pumps - see the Auto Express test http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/60646/foot-pumps-group-test

Tyre pressure gauges - http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/search/site/tyre%20pressure%20gauge

PS: How much do you guys over-inflate to improve mpg?

Your handbook (and there'll be a sticker in the car somewhere too) probably has 2 sets of value shown, one "standard" and one "eco". On my car, eco is 3psi over standard. I'm sure some people add some more over that but I don't bother.

Does temperature make that much difference when checking tyre pressures?

From my physics, Boyles law? I seem to remember that temperatures were always expressed from absolute zero (minus 273 degrees celsius) in degrees K so 0 degrees celsius is 273 degrees K, 20 degrees celsius (UK summer ambient) is 293 degrees K and hot, 40 degrees celsius is 313 degrees K. So in terms of PV=mrT, an extra 20 degrees in temperature referenced from absolute zero doesn't appear to make much difference.

If one is talking about ambient temperature for every 10 degree Fahrenheit decrease or increase in ambient temperature, there is a 1psi change to tyres.

With tyres the contained temperature (temperature of the air in the tyre) also affects tyre pressure probably to a greater degree. Approx 30 minutes of motorway driving at around 60mph can raise the contained temperature by about 50 degrees due to the flexing of the tyre and friction between the tyre and road surface. Which is why car and tyre manufacturers say tyre pressure should be checked when the tyre is cold.

So, today the car has developed a substantial dashboard rattle where the dashboard meets the lower right part of the wind screen. Total mileage so far of only 225 miles and I already now have my second reason to take it to the dealer and complaint. :crazy: Maybe a friday afternoon model....

My faith in Toyotas has been seriously shaken....

My Swift had rattles too but I paid double for the Toyota, and I expect it to be perfect.

Am I being picky? Hard tires and rattles in a car picked up August 16th.?

Edited by Nicolai

The over inflated tyres were the result of a poor pre delivery inspection by the dealer, not really a manufacturing fault with the car.

I know, but the tires are still a bit bumpy. Will run them for an additional 200 ks before I go back to Toyota.

I have a 5 year old version of that tyre gauge, I had to check because I didn't recall the limits feature for front and rear (and I've never used that bit). It is good with one annoyance, it is sometimes difficult to get a good seal on the tyre valve - you have to put it on square to the valve. I usually find on any particular day it is about 1 in 4 tyres that I can't get a good seal, and then usually enough air escapes in my attempts at getting a reading that I end up having to put more air into that tyre anyway. It isn't the same tyre on each occasion, so I've assumed it must be something about where the tyre valve happens to be and how I am crouching.

You do understand that increasing the tyre pressure will result in a harsher ride and therefore any bumps are more likely to shake the interior trim?

There is also the handling to consider, as you increase the tyre pressure, the tyre contact with the road reduces and that can affect the braking and traction of the tyre.

As to your perfect expectations, yes I think you are being unrealistic about a mass produced car. Different manufacturers have different strengths and weaknesses, but perfect, I can't think of a single make that I can afford that could take that honour.

Perhaps they updated the gauge?

I understand more air maens harder tires but I guess the eco pressure is not that much extra?

Perhaps your right: the car delivers a lot of good stuff. Today I had it deliver (an indicated) 96 mpg on a 4 mile trip to the grocery store :clap:

Perhaps you are expecting too much of a cheap, mass produced car - if you want perfection you will have to spend a lot more.

It's good to hear that there are at least some things you like about your new car.

We may be taking your use of the word "perfect" a little too literally? I would mention the rattle in the dash to your dealer because even in the cars we can afford they shouldn't really rattle from new - it depends on the nature and severity of the rattle - I'd probably put up with an occasional rattle if for example it happened when hitting a bump in the road. Also if you get a survey form to fill-in remember to mention your disappoint.

I'm cautious when it comes to tyre pressures as I stick somewhere within the psi range recommended on the door label.

In my car, I can feel the difference of 3 psi, which happens to be the difference between the recommended tyre pressure for normal use and when the car is fully loaded (4 adults and luggage). If I put the pressure up to the fully loaded psi and drive the car as the only occupant, the ride is harsher, and the braking is more skittish over man-hole covers (slip indicator more prone to light).

If you look elsewhere, you'll find some advocating much higher pressures (e.g. up to tyres maximum specification or beyond!), what I think is dangerous is that they often neglect to mention any risks.

According to the brochures and specs, my Touring Sports Hybrid should have head light washers. There's nothing mentioned about this in the manual though and I cannot see any sprinkler heads under the head lights. Danish brochure says ALL Auris' come with this. How do I activate it?

Also, why doesn't the Hybrid have the speed limiter? Only has regular CC.

On a 45 mile cruise today, driving sensibly, I got an (indicated) average of 69.5 MPG. :-)

Most likely it does not have it, I dont think any have them in the UK???

Brochures are notoriously out of date and will always carry a disclaimer, as they do in the UK, E & OE, Errors and omissions excepted

Specs change on cars on a regular basis, far quicker than a brochure can be printed and distributed. You should NEVER rely on the brochure of ANY product to give you the up to date specification

Kingo :thumbsup:

Most people on the forum won't be able to comment on what equipment should or shouldn't be included on your car due to differences between the Danish and UK specs. All that you can do is to approach your supplying dealer and/or Toyota Europe and raise your queries with them.

The only Toyota model that had headlight washers, is where LED lights are fitted,

only the later T Spirit Prius had these as far as I know.

All the brochures have inconsistencies, when I ordered my Excel Hybrid, according to the current brochure,

it was supposed to have HID lights fitted.

Needless to say, the new brochure came out just before my car arrived with no HID's so either they changed the spec,

or there was an error in the earlier brochure.

Toyota, along with every other manufacturer of just about anything, use the E&OE clause (Errors & Omissions Excepted) quite liberally.

What you get, is what you get. Disappointing sometimes, but that's just the way it goes.

G...

As far as I know, mine does have LED DRL...

Kingo: are you talking about the speed limiter nor being on UK models, the head light washer system or both?

Nicolai,

Can't comment on other markets, but I complained to Toyota that there was no speed limiter on the Excel, but it was specified in the brochure. They replied it was an error and would be corrected. That was 6 months ago, and guess what, it's still in the latest brochure.

Don't mention the dual zone climate control in the gen3 Prius :D

They got us twice with that one.

As far as I know, mine does have LED DRL...

Kingo: are you talking about the speed limiter nor being on UK models, the head light washer system or both?

Both

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links