Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any Info Please

ferret51

Hi

I'm thinking of buying a rav 4 nrg auto and was wondering if there are any known issues with them or things to look out for,unfortunatly the nearest I can find is 125 miles away so I need to have done my homework before I set off to view any being that distance away,at present I'm running a Honda civic coupe auto but being disabled and getting old its harder and harder to get in and out,I'll be very sorry to see it go but needs must :( If any one knows of an NRG auto in South Yorkshire could you please let me know or anybody got one that could give me some answers,fuel use,comfort and after market goodies

Cheers

Les

Welcome to the forum Les (aka madhouse) from someone just a bit further up the M1. Ravs are a doodle to get in and out , not too low like a normal car and not too high like the bigger SUV's. The official fuel figures are (from my 2002 brochure - I really must scan it and put it on photobucket) urban 22.8 , extra urban 37.2 and combined 30.4 mpg. Petrol problems seem to be that the oxygen sensors go from time to time and the Battery is too small. Can't comment on auto issues I'm afraid. Emissions are 224g/km so think tax is capped at £280 but may be wrong. The diesel wasn't done in the NRG auto model.

Hi Les and as above welcome aboard.

As you can see from my profile I have an early Mk 2 auto

I had a Mk 1 version and had no worries about buying another.

Fuel econemy in no way can be described as great but for me every every thing else about the motor is.

As i do not venture too far now I accept the fuel usage as I like the car so much and to me is worth the little extra running cost

I sometimes think too much emphersis is placed on MPG/MPL in a case like this where convenience is being consided to be important and as the saying goes you get what you pay for.

The engine is widely considered on here as "bomb proof"

Some owners of autos after this time have experienced problems with the gears changing harshly.

This is well documented on this site and if it occurs is fixable,do a search on this as this will give you the symptoms to look out for and if you like the car can be a bargaining advantage.If the seller says he has managed with this problem for a while and is no big deal then WALK AWAY as if this prob occurs and is not dealt with promptly then very expennssiive damage to the drive system can have been done

As for the Battery being on the small size I did what many others did when it gave up and fitted the diesel Battery.

This is a machine like any other,but a lot better put together than some,so if you do take the plunge you should get many happy motoring miles.

Hope this is of some help and be sure to let us all know how you get on if you do decide to splash the cash.

Del

Thanks for the info,lots of useful stuff there and I have to agree about to much emphasis being put on the mpg my 1.7 vtec is not great by any stretch of the imagination,good tip about the Battery and that will be done,I'e seen a very nice one in the Auto trader but its 150 miles away but I have a nephew who is 30 miles away whos willing to check it out and test drive it I know this is not the best way to buy a car but there just isn't any closer so i'll pass what ever info I can get to him,going to check the gearbox issue but if theres a fix anyway should not be a problem,I take it theres no corrosion spots to look for as I had a Shogun Pinin on the list of cars till I read a few problems with corrosion on a cross member so that went off my list of cars to look at..the list is down to two now.a Honda Crv ( bit big) and the Rav 4 nrg ( just right;)

Thanks for the help

Les

Well getting a little bit closer to owning one as a friend is looking at one for me this week,not ideal I know but its 150miles away from me and onlt 25miles from my friend,any way Ive seen a few with side steps and rear steps and a couple with chrome trim round the back lights,will they be a search on eBay or anybody point me in the right direction to look and price up

Thanks

les

Well getting a little bit closer to owning one as a friend is looking at one for me this week,not ideal I know but its 150miles away from me and onlt 25miles from my friend,any way Ive seen a few with side steps and rear steps and a couple with chrome trim round the back lights,will they be a search on ebay or anybody point me in the right direction to look and price up

Thanks

les

The Toyota OEM rear light trims are the best. They are only plastic but they are good quality and the fixing tape is permanent.

There are after market ones available on various internet sites (see 4X4 Magazine for the better ones) but I don't beleieve that they are as good and some of the fixings are overly complicated compared to Mr. T's.

I had the OEM's on two of my 4.2's and they are the best, IMHO.

Ditto the side steps. The OEM's are excellent and way better than any of the after market alternatives.

Well getting a little bit closer to owning one as a friend is looking at one for me this week,not ideal I know but its 150miles away from me and onlt 25miles from my friend,any way Ive seen a few with side steps and rear steps and a couple with chrome trim round the back lights,will they be a search on ebay or anybody point me in the right direction to look and price up

Thanks

les

Besta luck in your quest to find a car, Les.......but make sure you're sitting down when you see the price of them wee light cluster chrome trims!

Try for one already with OEM Sidesteps, as they will have been protecting car sides from all kindsa cruds.

Edit.........and if ye see wan UP HERE in a much nicer country, just shout if you need it looking at, min.

Either that or he hopes to sneak the parts from it he was going on about after Anchs visited him

Del

• Like 1

Aye aye Kev's after a trip to Wales or Ireland :)

He won't drive to Wales.........he would have to buy a new "chip" if he came over here and the Missus might shout at him :D:

Well with a bit of luck I'll be picking one up over the weekend :clap: then get a left foot throttle on it and away I go,Thanks for all your help and trust me I'll be back with more questions...

Les

Well got my rav 4 nrg parked outside,but cant use it untill I sort the adaptions out to suit my disability,artifitial right leg that is,anyway almost 200 mile journey home and it used a little bit more fuel than my 1.7vtec civic so thats not to bad I suppose,a couple of quick questions if you dont mind..Only got one remote keyfob but they seem cheap enough on eBay except the one I have has no writing on it ie valero so how would if find the one i need also does it need programing and if so can it be done "in car" as I did with one I got for my Honda also a friend drove it home for me with no problem but they came to move it a few feet outside my home and the alarm went off,why would that be ?

Cheers

Les

If you do a search on here there has been some threads about replacement keys. When new there were two black ones with buttons on them and one grey valet key. Also there was a metal tag with the key number on it. The black one I use has lost the info off the back but the spare says DENSO 1512V. The alarm will go off if you open the door with the key but shouldn't using the unlock button.

• Like 1

Well got my rav 4 nrg parked outside,but cant use it untill I sort the adaptions out to suit my disability,artifitial right leg that is,anyway almost 200 mile journey home and it used a little bit more fuel than my 1.7vtec civic so thats not to bad I suppose,a couple of quick questions if you dont mind..Only got one remote keyfob but they seem cheap enough on ebay except the one I have has no writing on it ie valero so how would if find the one i need also does it need programing and if so can it be done "in car" as I did with one I got for my Honda also a friend drove it home for me with no problem but they came to move it a few feet outside my home and the alarm went off,why would that be ?

Cheers

Les

Hi Les.....glad you got sortified with a Wee Rav. In the hope I can save you some (substantial?) cash, I have here a complete two button Rav key from a 2004 written off car. You are welcome to it.........free and gratisfully.

Right boffins......if I send Les the inner 2 button gubbins (complete with new Battery what I fitted myself) that the key contains, is that the part that Mr. T can reprogramme to Les's car and save him some GBP.....?

Furramore Les, be careful that the key you order from eBay is correctly "handed"......even though I am extremely intelligent, I managed to order the wrong key blank.....twice times....shurrit, Gus. Cheap as chips anywayhowz.....send me up wee phoaty of yer key and I will be able to tell you if transponder gubbins is indeed same shape as the wan I have here.(Photo both sides and I will send ye link to eBay guy I have used in past, and CORRECT blank key info.....airse....)

Big Kev

• Like 1

Well thats a very fine jesture there Big Kev and I'll get a photo either tonight or first thing in the morning....then try to work out how to post it on here also i would sooner pay you something for it then if I need owt else your not all goin to think im a scrounger ;) because trust me I'll be back asking for all sorts of shiney things for the Little Rav..on some of the bike forums I'm on if your sending addresses and such its usually done by PM so how do you work it on here ?

Thanks

Well thats a very fine jesture there Big Kev and I'll get a photo either tonight or first thing in the morning....then try to work out how to post it on here also i would sooner pay you something for it then if I need owt else your not all goin to think im a scrounger ;) because trust me I'll be back asking for all sorts of shiney things for the Little Rav..on some of the bike forums I'm on if your sending addresses and such its usually done by PM so how do you work it on here ?

Thanks

Click on my name or avatar phoaty, Les, then click on "send message" and aff ye go. I will then give you my email address which may be easier to load on phoateez.....seemples min.

Les and I have verified that the two button key transponders are indeed physically identical, only difference being the codes stored therein for each car. Can someone please verify that these type transponders can either be recoded by Toyota dealer or by in car methods.....? Thanks peeps.....Les.....PM me address and I will send it anywayz....nae use to me mate.

Big Kev

Kev you an absolute star,the keys arrived today so I'll be on eBay later tonight to find a blank key then off the keycutters and hopefully by this time some one will come up with the info on programing a blank key be it in car or at a locksmith ?

Cheers kev I owe you one (so to speak)

Les

If you google denso 1512v there appears to be some info that should help.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my left foot throttle fitted yesterday and planned on swopping the insurance over this weekend after fitting new stereo,so went out to it this morning and low and behold the batterys flat !! I had been warned batterys could be an issue and the diesel one is better but having had the car 2-3 weeks and never drove it then having to borrow some jump leads as got me wondering if I might have made a mistake with buying it as being disabled I must have a car that starts every time..as my civic has for the last two years and my Astra for three years before that..Oh and a 22 year old Vmax that sits in a cold damp garage for months on end then starts first time every time,I've done as quick search looking for info on the Battery to fit without any luck so if somebody can point me to it i'll price a new Battery for it and see if that sorts the starting issue...Thanks in advance

Les

The Halfords diesel Battery is HB072. If you do a search on this forum other ones have been recommended. It's also difficult to put a solar charger on this model.

Finally got my left foot throttle fitted yesterday and planned on swopping the insurance over this weekend after fitting new stereo,so went out to it this morning and low and behold the batterys flat !! I had been warned batterys could be an issue and the diesel one is better but having had the car 2-3 weeks and never drove it then having to borrow some jump leads as got me wondering if I might have made a mistake with buying it as being disabled I must have a car that starts every time..as my civic has for the last two years and my Astra for three years before that..Oh and a 22 year old Vmax that sits in a cold damp garage for months on end then starts first time every time,I've done as quick search looking for info on the battery to fit without any luck so if somebody can point me to it i'll price a new battery for it and see if that sorts the starting issue...Thanks in advance

Les

Hi Les,

If it's any consolation, we had a 4.2 petrol auto from new in '02 and its original Battery lasted over 9 years. Never failed to start even in the two arctic winters that we had a few years back or when left standing in airport carparks for weeks. I only replaced it out of fear that it might give up the ghost at an inopportune moment bearing in mind how old it was. In the event, although I thought about going with the bigger diesel Battery, I decided on an OEM replacement from Mr. T on the basis that the original never let me down, the price was very good (fiited) and it came with a 3-yr warranty.

It may be that yours is on its last legs, genuinely, depending on how old it is and how it's been used or abused or it could be that you have a fault somewhere that is draining the Battery. Things like interior lights, alarms & radios can often cause all sorts of weird problems that get blamed on the battery. A quick health check on the system by your friendly local auto spark might be an idea before you spend megabucks on a new battery.

Good luck. I'm sure it will turn out to be a minor hiccup.