Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ect Switch

masseyleo

i have a 1996 2.4turbo diesel automatic -there is a switch on the cover where the gear lever is - near the front that has ECT on it - what is it for and what does it do ? there is also a switch on the front RHS which puts the engine onto a fixed speed -approx1000 rpm -was told it was to power a welder or power the alternator if the power was being used for an external appliance - i do not have a manual and cannot read or speak japanese -thanks for any help -masseyleo

This stands for Electronically Controlled Transmission and changes the operational mode of the automatic gearbox, comparable to sport mode on most auto boxes as it holds on to each gear for longer. ECT light illuminates on dash when selected.

The fast idle can be used for a number of reasons, as you say, to power ancillary equipment or for situations where the vehicle idles for long periods with lights and the like on. Also, it is not good for diesel injectors if the engine ticks over for long periods at idle, so a fast idle button is fitted

Kingo :thumbsup:

thanks frostyballs and others - went on line and was told the ETC switch was also used to control or eliminate wheel spin when in snow or icy conditions - as i used to take the ski stuff out to france,germany and switzerland for my pals and often encountered those conditions but never used the switch but stayed in 4 wheel drive and never skidded or had violent wheel spin- am ebaying my truck shortly and hence the questions in case i am asked them - thanks -leo

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links