Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do You Have A Smelly A/c?

I had this problem recently where the Air Con was beginning to smell a bit, musty. Not a pleasent smell at all, but then there is the health considerations too.The presence of Mould and my wife's Asthma don't go well together. So, I bought -whilst looking for some Prestone Summer Screenwash- one of those aerosol's, the Auto-Glym one, that purify's the air-con. Extremely simple to use and takes little time to complete. The smell of the 'stuff' is very strong when you open the door to switch the engine off so depeneding on your lungs, hold your breath or get a full gob full, whatever floats your boat.

Just a couple of pics of the very complicated business... not.

post-113536-0-13930600-1377184006_thumb.

post-113536-0-62071300-1377184017_thumb.

I have one of those, Think mine is a comma one.

I keep meaning to do the job but haven't got around to it yet. Be interesting to hear if you think it makes a difference.

Craig.

I have one of those, Think mine is a comma one.

I keep meaning to do the job but haven't got around to it yet. Be interesting to hear if you think it makes a difference.

Craig.

Most defintely. Sorry, meant to include that in the post. The difference is very clear, as in clear air, It was becoming a problem as I have been using the AC a lot lately, covering 1640 miles in just over a month, mostly with it on. Yes, it hit fuel economy, but so did the speeds I was doing... ahem. The smell of mould is not pleasant as I have said already, but now that stink has gone, replaced by the familiar smell of farms and their occupants, and those driving the tractors with trailers full of shi7.

I switched my Air Con on "Auto" just over a year ago when i picked up the car new and have never touched it . The cabin has stayed at 19.5 Deg whatever the weather outside. To hell with fuel economy - I run hot and the benefits out way the negligible fuel cost (IMHO)

Would it be leaving it switched off for long periods cause the musty smell? Mines fresh as a daisy!

• Like 1

We had this problem and used the air con deodoriser (air con bomb as trade know it) It did solve the problem for a few weeks however it returned , I then changed the pollen filter. It was full of debris and looked pretty dirty. It solved the issue immediately. Car was 3 years old with full history at Toyota but obviously had never been changed. It is cheap and very easy to do would recommend it as yearly change with service.

I spoke with guys in the trade and they recommended removing old filter, spraying in housing with aircon bomb (you can do this by not latching the spray down)

Then replacing with new filter and using the bomb as normal. This cleans the entry side of the air con inlet

Very, its located behind centre console on passenger side. The manual I think shows it but the filter has diagram in box.Look just behind console on left hand side looking from floor upwards.You may have to push edge of carpet back and should see a plastic door approx. 15mm wide with hook you can get finger in at bottom. Pull and it will come out. Think we have thread with better description on somewhere else on forum

Regards

• Like 1

I switched my Air Con on "Auto" just over a year ago when i picked up the car new and have never touched it . The cabin has stayed at 19.5 Deg whatever the weather outside. To hell with fuel economy - I run hot and the benefits out way the negligible fuel cost (IMHO)

Would it be leaving it switched off for long periods cause the musty smell? Mines fresh as a daisy!

Not an issue with us as we often have the AC on, no matter the weather. If we feel too warm and the vents aren't cooling us, on it goes. In the winter, we often find it necessary to put it on so the windows remain clear/mist free.

We had this problem and used the air con deodoriser (air con bomb as trade know it) It did solve the problem for a few weeks however it returned , I then changed the pollen filter. It was full of debris and looked pretty dirty. It solved the issue immediately. Car was 3 years old with full history at Toyota but obviously had never been changed. It is cheap and very easy to do would recommend it as yearly change with service.

I spoke with guys in the trade and they recommended removing old filter, spraying in housing with aircon bomb (you can do this by not latching the spray down)

Then replacing with new filter and using the bomb as normal. This cleans the entry side of the air con inlet

Had a new pollen filter put in recently when it was in for something else... can't recall what that 'else' was, but the old one was filthy, even after cleaning. Bits of twig, dried bits of leaves, and even a piece of stone from the road, as well as general muck.