Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice For Newbie Please On Buying Prius Gen 2

Funkyboy

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a Gen 2 Prius for the wife and was hoping for a bit of advice.

I've seen 07/08 year models at Toyota dealers for what seems reasonable money although this tends to be on the t3/t4 versions. For similar money there are the T Spirits but these are outside the dealer network so don't get the 12 mths warranty. So first question is should I stick to dealer network or buy from independent and just check all the usual stuff like service history?

My wife doesn't do much mileage (office is only 1.5 miles each way) so would the start Battery be ok though I can ensure once a week she gives it a run to keep it charged?

Do the t3/t4 come with bluetooth and if it does can it connect to iPhone 4 (only looking for the call function)?

Is there any known issues I should look for when buying?

I assume only doing short journeys she won't get mega mpg does anyone have a similar journey that they can tell me their average mpg?

I'm really looking forward to getting one of these just hoping to avoid any pitfalls where possible.

Thanks for reading this I will let you know how I get on

FB

I don't do any journeys that short, in winter I don't think the petrol engine would warm up very much over such a short distance. The Prius fuel economy is about being able to switch the petrol engine off, but it has to get up to a minimum temperature.

In the middle of winter, doing 7 mile trips, I've got as low as 39 mpg as measured at the pump - my car is kept outside though.

In optimum conditions, such as the correct ambient temperature, very gentle acceleration, speeds below 25 mph, full charge in the HV Battery the Prius can apparently go a distance of approx 1.1 miles on electric power.

It is a shame that electric vehicles, such as the Nissan Leaf aren't cheaper...

For such a short distance then maybe 35-40mpg as the engine will still be warming up.

tbh you are better off walking such a short distance or cycling.

With the Gen 3, my daily commute of 3 miles each way gave me low 40s mpg in winter and high 50s mpg in summer. The Prius Plus is giving me Mid 50s summer, I've yet to test it in winter.

SWMBO has a Gen 2 and she does very short journeys most of them less than a mile and she doesn't particularly try to be economical and she gets around 50 mpg in summer and around 38 mpg in winter.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all!

I am doing a project for university centred around the Prius (based on my on fascination!)

I know why I went for a Prius, but I am trying to gather some other opinions.... what was your motivation to buy a Prius?

Would be great to hear your thoughts!

Thanks

Low running costs (bar depreciation, but this was negated by buying second hand). 'Green credentials' were secondary, if I'm totally honest.

• Like 1

I was the same, more focused on the free residents parking and tax etc, but I am definitely more aware of the way I drive now, and I never thought much about car emissions before but now it interests me.

A 1.5 mile trip a couple of times a day for a long period is bad news for any vehicle with an internal combustion engine. It'll never warm up, the exhaust will probably rust out pretty quickly due to the condensation. I'd give it a longer run at the weekend to get it heated up a bit!

This is a perfect job for an all electric vehicle to be honest. You can't force the Prius to run in EV mode while the ICE is cold so there's no help there. Personally, I wouldn't regularly use a car for such a short journey unless I needed to carry lots of things but I can understand why someone would want to, especially in the dark and dreary winter.

No idea on the mpg....pretty low in the winter with those sorts of journeys, I should imagine. I only do 40+ miles when I start mine up so can't really judge that one.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links