Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New 2.0 Vvti Owner

ALake

Hey all,

I've recently bought a 2008 2.0 VVTi XTR and thought I'd say hello on the forums!

I do about 15-16,000 miles a year so petrol might not be the obvious choice, but with the extra costs of buying a diesel and the problems I've had with diesels in the past (DMFs, EGR valves, glow plugs stuck in the head, blocked DPFs etc) I thought I'd rather pay more for fuel than repairs - but we'll see how that works out for me!

I like the car though - drives very well for a 4x4, much tider than my previous Kia Sportage which did wallow around a lot. I'm averaging 31-32mpg which isn't too bad for a 70/30 motorway commute.

The only thing I've found odd about the car is the strange clutch - when you dip the clutch to change gear the revs hang a bit and the clutch seems to resist a little bit more, but from reading posts on here it seems to be normal on this engine, I can live with it!

So with only 1000 miles under my belt in this car I'm impressed so far - love the stereo, the seats are really comfy, I love having a sunroof again and I've always liked the look of RAV4's - I was looking at a Freelander 2 but they're expensive and their reputation isn't so good!

• Like 1

Hey all,

I've recently bought a 2008 2.0 VVTi XTR and thought I'd say hello on the forums!

I do about 15-16,000 miles a year so petrol might not be the obvious choice, but with the extra costs of buying a diesel and the problems I've had with diesels in the past (DMFs, EGR valves, glow plugs stuck in the head, blocked DPFs etc) I thought I'd rather pay more for fuel than repairs - but we'll see how that works out for me!

I like the car though - drives very well for a 4x4, much tider than my previous Kia Sportage which did wallow around a lot. I'm averaging 31-32mpg which isn't too bad for a 70/30 motorway commute.

The only thing I've found odd about the car is the strange clutch - when you dip the clutch to change gear the revs hang a bit and the clutch seems to resist a little bit more, but from reading posts on here it seems to be normal on this engine, I can live with it!

So with only 1000 miles under my belt in this car I'm impressed so far - love the stereo, the seats are really comfy, I love having a sunroof again and I've always liked the look of RAV4's - I was looking at a Freelander 2 but they're expensive and their reputation isn't so good!

Sounds good. Yes it is normal for the RAV to hang on to the revs (some other Toyotas do the same - but not the Aygo). I just change gear more slowly as a consequence. I also find the initial amount of revs needed to pull away in first hard to judge and normally end up revving like mad! In the future I want to get an auto version of the petrol RAV - the latest are all CVT so I will probably go for one when they are cheaper to buy used. But at the moment my wife's RAV that I also drive seems likely to last a few more years without serious issues. Getting it serviced next week but should all be fine!

Enjoy your RAV and keep us posted.

David