Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1Cd-Ftv (115) Vs 1Ad-Ftv (125) Which Is More Reliable For A High Milea

avensisd4d786

Which is the more reliable set up as a taxi. both 2.0 d4d engines.

pre facelift avensis 2003-2006 115 1cd-ftv. cam belt engine 5 gears.

facelift 2006-2009 125 chain driven engine 6 gears.

has anyone of had the experience of both engines? please share your opinions.

1cd engine is bombproof, great engine. 2AD only if its had a replacement engine under warranty

Thank you.

2ad is the 2.2? did you mean 1ad

Sorry I had just realised what I had posted and the wifi was playing up (in Spain on holiday) so I couldn't fix it. You are right 1AD = 2.0 and 2AD is 2.2 - I've just had my 2AD engine replaced under warranty by lexus - the 1CD is very reliable, only thing is they are belt driven so if you are going to put big miles on it factor those into the equation, the AD engine is chain driven, You could check with Toyota any if any AD engined cars you are looking at have had their engines replaced, if so happy days - it would make a great taxi. Just got out of an Octavia 1.9 TDi (2002 90bhp) and it was showing 837,000 kms (520,000 miles) and still seemed pretty solid - impressive! That said I've no doubt an avensis would do that kind of miles as well.

520,000!!! that is certainly is impressive. That's a lot of mileage Id very surprised if its on the same engine!

the octavia's are belt driven too.

its either going to be a octavia estate/superb or avensis.

I'm just a bit worried about the ad engine. do all ad suffer from the head gasket and need to replaced?

520,000!!! that is certainly is impressive. That's a lot of mileage Id very surprised if its on the same engine!

I'm just a bit worried about the ad engine. do all ad suffer from the head gasket and need to replaced?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was on its original engine, the original Volkswagen 1.9 TDi is one of the best engines ever made IMO. I was in a 1CD Avensis taxi in Dublin last year (2003 model) and it had 350,000 miles on it and the taxi driver said all that ever needed doing was brakes and normal servicing - felt solid as a rock as well!

A 1.9 TDi Jetta would be a cracking taxi, big boot, loads of room, excellent build quality, cheap parts and don't have the handbrake or key problems that the B6 Passat has. I like the Octavia as well but the VW is classier IMO

I'm sure not all do, but there is a fair amount that have - it really is a gamble - I personally wouldn't unless it had a modified 3/4 engine - the later late 09 AD engines aren't affected. That said a 1CD would be a terrific workhorse that take the miles for very little.

I'm really impressed with my 1cd-ftv .... don't seem to hear any complaints on here about it. the newer engine seems one to avoid!

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if it was on its original engine, the original Volkswagen 1.9 TDi is one of the best engines ever made IMO. I was in a 1CD Avensis taxi in Dublin last year (2003 model) and it had 350,000 miles on it and the taxi driver said all that ever needed doing was brakes and normal servicing - felt solid as a rock as well!

A 1.9 TDi Jetta would be a cracking taxi, big boot, loads of room, excellent build quality, cheap parts and don't have the handbrake or key problems that the B6 Passat has. I like the Octavia as well but the VW is classier IMO

I'm sure not all do, but there is a fair amount that have - it really is a gamble - I personally wouldn't unless it had a modified 3/4 engine - the later late 09 AD engines aren't affected. That said a 1CD would be a terrific workhorse that take the miles for very little.

Thanks for your advice. I think its best to make a quick call to toyota to check if they have a engine rebuild.

wouldnt mind a late 55 06 1cd-ftv .

never thought of the jetta will look into one.

I'm really impressed with my 1cd-ftv .... don't seem to hear any complaints on here about it. the newer engine seems one to avoid!

I am running a 1cd too but not as a taxi.(just to work/shopping) have not had major problems and still feels very strong at 150,000

of a jetta have seen a few as taxi's will look into that.

"I'm just a bit worried about the ad engine. do all ad suffer from the head gasket and need to replaced?"

No way, no how. Best that I can figure is that it's a couple of %.

of course if you produce enough of anything then even a small failure rate can add up to a significant quantity.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 1ad t27 avensis and it has never missed a beat, very good engine in my opinion

My 2AD lexus had a new 3/4 engine under warranty a few months ago and I looked at a 1AD Auris SR at the time at a small dealer with 60k but walked away because of low coolant - the car sold a few days later. 3 months and 3,000 miles later that same car has been traded in at a Toyota dealer! I'd say its pretty likely the dreaded AD engine head gasket has struck!

Of the 2 AD engined cars I looked at - mine has had 3/4 engine and the other with low coolant and traded in a short time later likely with the same thing is scary!

Bought a 2006(believe this is the last one as new shape came in 56) 1cd-ftv engine with 84,000 FSH (less power but do not have the worry of the headgasket in the back of my mind)

@ blackcts- the only time I would buy a ad engine if I seen prove that a engine has been fitted under warranty.

Thank you for all your help.

• Like 1

I hope so. but alot of them think the octavia 1.9 pd is

time well tell. would you say the octavia is smaller inside compared to the avensis?

will be changing the T/belt & w/pump to be on the safe side. as there no indication on service book that its been done.

might treat it to fresh toyota oil 5w 30 oil & filter.

I have been near 1.9 tdi engine and they sound like tractors compared to my 2004 d4d.

Bought a 2006(believe this is the last one as new shape came in 56) 1cd-ftv engine with 84,000 FSH (less power but do not have the worry of the headgasket in the back of my mind)

@ blackcts- the only time I would buy a ad engine if I seen prove that a engine has been fitted under warranty.

Thank you for all your help.

Yep good choice that, i have a march 06 plate estate with 40 odd thousand miles on it genuine of course,i am debating whether or not to buy a tuning box for mine as i don't quite like the turbo lag when pulling away i believe this is supposed to cure it but need more feedback,anyway i guess iv'e got used to the power drop now after 3 months but a good engine all the same.

Turbo lag when pulling away is caused by the turbo not spooling up til about 1500 revs. Fitting a tuning kit will not alter that, however what it does do is smooth out the torque curve right the way through the rev band. This makes for a much smoother drive so you don't notice the lag so much

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I would have thought the avensis would be slightly bigger. Doesn't have to be Toyota oil, 5w30 of a decent brand will do the trick - I would use genuine Toyota filters or blueprint at the very least. Service it every 5-6k and it should last a very long time!

Yes I always use genuine filters. I had two aftermarket fuel filters & had bad experience with them; limp mode/black smoke out of exhaust.

Yes service is a must for every car if your looking to keep it.