Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Check Brakes !

CharlieFarlie

On Saturday I had the warning CHECK BRAKES come up on the computer thingy. It than changed to Check brakes ABS then changed to check VSC...

This came up as I was pulling extremely slowly into a garage for fuel so not hardly touching the brake pedal at all......

After filling up I started the engine and no more warning whatsoever and none since..

Is this just one of those gremlins or is something giving notice ?

I stripped out all the pads and checked them only a week or so ago so its not pads or anything like that as all the pads are in top condition with only 10% wear to fronts and about the same to the rears ...

Cheers

Brake light switch causes this going by memory.......?

I've got the same problem. Can happen at any speed from crawl to motorway, even goes off when I'm at a standstill. Very intermittent, can go off two or three times, one after another. Then I can go weeks with nothing.

I did try to verify if the brakes were affected whilst the warnings are displayed, and they are. Effected an emergency stop, ABS non existent! Done a engine restart (Warnings gone), tried again, ABS functional.

Every time I tell Mr. T, they can never find anything wrong and no faults codes logged!

I've checked the ABS sensors on each wheel and cleaned the EFG valve with no affect. (All suggestions on other threads). And yes Kevin, the brake light switch was another suggestion, but I haven't got round to trying that one out yet.

When my brake switch was playing up intermittently I got Check Brake System, ABS and VSC . Bridging the OBD pins gave the codes

ABS 49
VSC 43
P/S 41
Used a reader later and got and got two fault codes C1249 - Open circuit brake pedal switch and C1223 - ABS sensor fault, that one obviously being caused by the intermittent duff brake switch. Fitted a new switch and no further problems. Myself and others have used aftermarket cheaper switches with no problems, OE ones aren't that good anyway judging by the amount that have gone wrong.

I had the same back in the Winter. IT was down to the brake light switch. very intermittent but does disable the ABS and VSC (and hill start assist) while active. I think Toyota charged £17 for the switch plus labour to fit (which wasn't a lot).

Thanks guys .. Will wait for it happen again and then sort it..

Is changing the brake light switch a DIY prospect ???

Thanks guys .. Will wait for it happen again and then sort it..

Is changing the brake light switch a DIY prospect ???

Apparently yes, Charlie.......as long as you have a neck like E.T.......looking like him does not qualify you......

Witheld......

His bullets will just about reach you from his house - especially as you present the same profile from the side as you do from the front.

Charlie. I think there is a bit of a shield over the pedal from memory but if you pop that off and look up you will see the switch. Turn it 45 degrees and it will lift out. Drop it down then unplug the wire. Plug the new one in and then drop it into the housing and twist it back. The switch comes with a little plastic housing to adapt it to the pedal bracket. Don't fit it unless the original breaks. However, you can practice twisting the switch into the new adapter off the car so you can work out what you are doing.

• Like 1

Brake light switch causes this going by memory.......?

I had exactly same symptoms.

Brake light switch, @£16 and a 5 min job.iirc.

Cheapest first option anyways.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Brake light switch replaced over a month ago, £16.95 from eBay. Easy to fit yourself. As it was an intermittent fault didn't want to update this post until I was sure. All clear since replacement, Whoo Hoo! :clap: :clap:

• Like 1

Not often my diagnosis even borders on the correct......nae wonder ah've got 4 stars, eh....?

Not often my diagnosis even borders on the correct......nae wonder ah've got 4 stars, eh....?

BK, anyone would think that you've just earned another star.

There's a good wee Caledonian chappie (note capital "C", Don).

catapult letters need 2 keys to be pressed.

catapult letters need 2 keys to be pressed.

So stoap picking yer nose whilst typing, min.......

Picking up on the topic, did you know that anchorman is clearing his garage ?

By order of Anchorman
Online auction sale of assets from an automotive brake pad manufacturing facility

federal-mogul-logo.gif

Use iClear to pay by:

credit_card_paypal_logos_3.GIF

Featuring:
  • Fi Spa Ambbm ‘TTE100' hot platen brake pad pressing line
  • 400t hydraulic brake pad press
  • PJ Hare ‘25HP' hydraulic press
  • 60t twin hot platen hydraulic presses (Qty 3)
  • Reinhardt ‘DALO-16/6000' gas fired continuous belt oven (1999 - Qty 2)
  • Wild Barfield 2 lane continuous vertical oven
  • Hedinair 2 lane gas fired oven
  • Range of Hedinair ovens
  • Winkworth ‘RT200' ribbon blend mixers (Qty 2)
  • Extraction units, shot blasting machine, ss storage tank, enamel dipping machine

Love those suicidal kitchen tools third from bottom of list.........."Hedinair ovens....." LOL.

Wonder what he uses the ceramic dipping tank for ? teeth?

what on earth is a 2 lane continuous vertical oven ? Sounds like a launch pad for a rocket.

They put them in one end and they come out baked at the other. You can mix the part numbers accoring to how many lanes it has. They cure the resin for about 4 hours at 280C which is much lower than they will see in service but there is no more curing after the process is complete.

Incidentally since that warning appeared some weeks ago now it has not returned.... But appreciate the advice as I know what to do if it happens again...

In reviewing the posts here, it is clear that the problem exists on only 5 door cars. Might it be some correlation with the drain on the electrical system of having 5 door sensors affecting the brake operation sensor? Its not a fault that I've seen on any 3 door cars.

Could we have a picture of a contortionist ( B4K ?) changing the brake switch? I need a laugh. :crybaby:

• Like 1