Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1990 Gl Liftback Restoration & Rebuild

KPARRIS-JONES

You never know you'd be surprised at what comes up on eBay sometimes. Just keep a lookout might be able to get a donor car to help you with the awkward panels.

The rust is keeping you busy at the moment I think.

I do like your idea if having lighting on the door handles didn't think of that one.

Anyway doing a brilliant job and enjoying reading ur updates

This is what I'm after in terms of lighting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5mhNpfBruI

I think the interior lights need to be set to come on only when the engine is switched off but the key is in the ignition - that way you only have them on when you're about to get out.

Cheers Raistlin - lord only knows why I am doing this after only just getting the GTi done and dusted :lol: How have you been?

Thing is any donor car is likely to have it hidden although not as developed, in the same areas. It's better if I just get this done my way rather than Toyotas way. Should be doable but it's a new way of thinking about the problem. Can't wait to get the joggler so I can finish making plates this weekend!

Thank you both for the support.

KP

Just seen the video. Didn't the gli have a light around the ignition when you opened the doors???

I can't remember now weather it was that or the carina II

I've got a tsport at the moment was seriously considering parking it up in the garage and leaving it off the road for a few years hoping it becomes a classic. I was nearly paralysed a few years ago and am struggling driving manual now but don't really want to let it go either.

I'm very sorry to hear that mate. I can understand your reluctance to get rid of it - my dad has a CTS and he has been "selling" it for over a year now :lol: They're just so much fun! My dream is to get a 2ZZ-GE in the AE92 GTi :D

KP

They are brilliant

That's an interesting project 2ZZ-ge in the GTi you'll have to take that up as your next 😉😉

I'll get straight onto the 2ZZ once funds permit ;) Once I managed to start welding things went pretty well! Got the larger plate fixed in at last - however it does need to be finished but it is mostly welded and all of it has penetrated well enough :) The section of the first photo of the right is bare because I haven't welded that yet, so it's not poor penetration :lol:

My welds aren't great but I'm satisfied and they'll do the job!

WP_20131205_002_zpsf651f1e1.jpg

WP_20131205_003_zps6eb4e950.jpg

WP_20131205_004_zps15f05d9e.jpg

Next week should see the rest of the wheel well finished.

KP

Really progressing!!!!

Thank you guys :)

Some major bits of progress have been made in the odd spare half hour - me and Kiri managed to make up the plates for the rear right turret floor section (3 in total) along with two more for the wheel well and one more for the rear right turret itself. I still need to buy in a rear corner and more metal to do the arch itself. A long way to go but now I have a license I'm feeling really motivated to get this all done!

WP_20131210_002_zpsb5c0913f.jpg

WP_20131210_001_zps564a5d4d.jpg

WP_20131210_004_zps9cbcd2f1.jpg

WP_20131210_003_zps4b73777e.jpg

WP_20131210_005_zps573aa2cc.jpg

WP_20131210_006_zpsfc6c11fd.jpg

WP_20131210_007_zpsb88b8f1f.jpg

KP

Thank you guys :)

Some major bits of progress have been made in the odd spare half hour - me and Kiri managed to make up the plates for the rear right turret floor section (3 in total) along with two more for the wheel well and one more for the rear right turret itself. I still need to buy in a rear corner and more metal to do the arch itself. A long way to go but now I have a license I'm feeling really motivated to get this all done!

WP_20131210_002_zpsb5c0913f.jpg

WP_20131210_001_zps564a5d4d.jpg

WP_20131210_004_zps9cbcd2f1.jpg

WP_20131210_003_zps4b73777e.jpg

WP_20131210_005_zps573aa2cc.jpg

WP_20131210_006_zpsfc6c11fd.jpg

WP_20131210_007_zpsb88b8f1f.jpg

KP

Getting there slowly. Did you manage to see if there were any decent ones in any of the breakers nearby. Congrats on getting your licence too 🎈🎉🎈🎉🎈

Thanks mate I was so excited about it! And no there isn't anything even remotely local :( I'm just going to use some artistic license to get it right.

KP

I'll keep my eyes open, you never know what you mind find these days

Cheers Raist! I'm certain it's doable so I may as well get on and do it :lol: Thursday should turn up the goods on welding in most of these plates.

KP

Made another one of the more awkward and worrying plates today - have to say I am pretty chuffed with how neatly it's going to seat in there.

Bear in mind the top will align properly with some pressure being applied ;)

WP_20131211_001_zpsa2cdf000.jpg

WP_20131211_002_zpse6447796.jpg

KP

Cheers again Raistlin - so you're actually taking an interest in this project or are you looking for new ways to abuse me? :P

Had a bloody good session tonight. The largest plate of the wheel well is welded in along with the centre, topped off with the spare wheel mount! laugh.png The third and final plate in the wheel well is tacked in and welded along the top, however I ran out of time.

To really get things moving along I also welded in the first plate of three for the section of rust following the rear turret by the seat belt mount. It was a fairly tidy weld too so I am very happy with the results so far. The wheel well stuff is admittedly pigeon shit, but it has penetrated well enough so it's strong smile.png

WP_20131212_003_zps44867039.jpg

WP_20131212_004_zps49c23950.jpg

WP_20131212_002_zps70554947.jpg

WP_20131212_001_zps69c8a326.jpg

WP_20131212_006_zps62bf1b68.jpg

WP_20131212_005_zps6e78f4cc.jpg

Hopefully next week will see the rest of the stuff accessible from the cabin finished, although before I can carry on I need to rebuild a lot of the stuff outside and under the car for the floor pan to attach to.

KP

KP when have I ever needed a reason to abuse you... :)

I actually find it most interesting and admire you skill set.

haha they're in great abundance I know :P

Thank you very much :) The point of doing this was to develop skills in bodywork restoration and fabrication as well as real-world welding, and so far it has proven to do exactly that. Although I haven't perfected making it pretty, I do know how to make them structurally sound which is arguably more important.

I'm loving this for as long as I am learning something new! :)

KP

Your welding skills are quite impressive now.

Keep updates coming really enjoying the progress

Ash

Cheers Ash, they're definitely improving although I should still be much much better.

Went out again today and decided that the seat belt mounting point wasn't man enough, so I pulled it out and made a plate to reinforce it later. I also made another plate to reinforce the whole turret underneath the line of the floor pan - this should also make welding the floor pan plate itself in a lot easier and less likely to blast holes through.

WP_20131215_004_zps581c6d55.jpg

WP_20131215_005_zps21674b34.jpg

WP_20131215_003_zpsc43e874a.jpg

WP_20131215_002_zps5a82ae2e.jpg

KP

Nice shots, but for some of us lesser mortals could you label some of the bits...

TIA :nerd:

That last picture there is of the seat belt mount - here is a labelled picture to give you an idea or where that should all go:

WP_20131215_003_zps7615e31c.jpg

I hope that helps :thumbsup:

KP