Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla V-Reg...where Is The Earthing Point/stud?

lestermester

Hi everyone,

Here's a problem I'm noticing:

Warm, hot day, car stood for a while...car will struggle to start. Turn the key - can hear what sounds like a relay clicking, but nothing else. Second or third attempt, car starts (thankfully).

On cooler/damper days, car starts first time.

I was thinking this might be a problem with electrical earthing.

Is there an earth stud on the chassis of my v-reg toyota (like the one in my pic/avatar)?? Where might it be?

Some pix attached but i don't think they help much.

Can you help me with this problem? Thanks!

Maz

post-31938-0-69061100-1377776354_thumb.j

post-31938-0-99702400-1377776390_thumb.j

post-31938-0-26636700-1377776446_thumb.j

post-31938-0-13309100-1377776488_thumb.j

more than likely its a dodgy starter motor - or more specifically worn/dirty contacts within the starter motor. It's an easy fix, and a better option than a reconditioned starter motor as most reconditioned starter motors are pretty poor quality, and don't last long.

Did mine several months ago as I had the exact same symptoms. Parts available off eBay for less than £10.

p.s. what's up with your Battery clamp? Looks like the front mounting bolt has sheared and the clamp has been put back on the wrong way round. Not sure if that would pass/fail the MOT.

Take a look at this video for info:

• Like 1

more than likely its a dodgy starter motor - or more specifically worn/dirty contacts within the starter motor. It's an easy fix, and a better option than a reconditioned starter motor as most reconditioned starter motors are pretty poor quality, and don't last long.

Did mine several months ago as I had the exact same symptoms. Parts available off ebay for less than £10.

p.s. what's up with your battery clamp? Looks like the front mounting bolt has sheared and the clamp has been put back on the wrong way round. Not sure if that would pass/fail the MOT.

Take a look at this video for info:

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I think you may well be right.

I'll take a look at the starter motor...not sure if it's accessible from the bonnet or only from underneath. If it's from underneath I'll have to take it to the garage.

Cheers

Maz.

It required a bit of both on mine...

I had to get underneath to remove the power cable (remember to disconnect the Battery first) and one of the mounting bolts. If I remember right, I just parked the driver side up on a high kerb which gave me enough clearance to crawl underneath.

The other bolt I could get at from above. The starter then came out of the top, between the intake manifold and the bulkhead.

I can't see your configuration being that much different.

p.s. what's up with your battery clamp? Looks like the front mounting bolt has sheared and the clamp has been put back on the wrong way round. Not sure if that would pass/fail the MOT.

Well spotted...I never noticed that before. Must be some dodgy mechanic did that and he never told me about it.

That bracket is all over the place! It's attached to the chassis with a tie-wrap! There are 15 washers on the other end used as spacers! (see pic below)

Not happy about the botch-job but thanks for pointing it out, garethpaul.

post-31938-0-58994900-1377800447_thumb.j

yes, definitely on the wrong way around.

An insecure Battery is an MOT fail as of January 2012, so I would get it fixed as soon as possible.

You need to get the snapped bolt drilled out on the bonnet slam that can be seen between the cable tie and the air ducting, spin the clamp around so the cable tied end is at the back and fix with a new bolt at the front (M8 I believe), getting rid of all the washers in the process.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links