Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Good Brand Clutch?

BigMo82

Going to get my clutch replaced next week. My mechanic has quoted me around £440 for an ADL blueprint clutch or under £400 for a Valeo. Is the ADL a much better clutch? I have had a Valeo slave cylinder leak in a car before and it was only 18 months old but not sure if that was just bad luck. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mo

Hi Mo, I go with the ADL Blueprint as they are practically OEM. I have that clutch fitted in my car over 6 years ago and no problems.
With major components like the clutch you want it right first time.

A long time ago back in the 80s (different car), I had a clutch fitted and it broke in the garage. They garage got a second one and it was broken in the package. Both were original Chrysler parts for the car. The mechanic sent me to Cannons of Clapham to pick up a Borg and Beck clutch. That was perfect. I also had Borg and Beck fitted to a Fiesta I bought with a slipping clutch, and no problems with that either. That was then.

Valeo seem to be involved everywhere. I don't know what their quality is like.

Konrad

There will be very little difference in either choice. Stick with a branded company, just like brakes, there is a lot of carp out there!!

OEM is a great bug bear of mine, companies say they are an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) BUT the after market parts they make are NOT the same as OE, it is a greatly overused term that "implies" quality but very often is not quality at all

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 2

So if Mo bought an original Toyota clutch, how much will it cost? His car is 2litre vvti 1AZ.

I'd imagine Toyota would use Valeo as OEM as well based on the number of parts on the car with this stamped on.

Thanks for the replies, it strange because I have Valeo on my car key, Denso on the ignition coils, Bosch on the brake pads and so on. This makes it difficult to decide what part is made by which manufacturer until its been removed.

Mo

I have a LuK replacement and I have to live with a high frequency pedal vibration when changing gear, a 2nd clutch does the same, no one seems to have an answer, LuK did not reply to my letter or email, I suspect a quality control issue

I had a LUK kit put in on an Astra and the salve cylinder leaked while they were blessing the system. It was made of plastic! I couldn't believe LUK would put such a low quality slave cylinder with what was otherwise a decent clutch.

Mo. Your mechanic gave you a choice and it is the £40 difference.

I looked at Euro Car Parts and they listed the Valeo as £225.60 for the Valeo kit. They also sell the Luk at less than half price.

With the comments on Luk, I know what I would be buying!

Your mechanic is good because both are quality choices, and he could have got a rubbish brand to save you money.

Konrad

I didn't know that. Is that for all the Avensis models? Like I said the clutch itself from LUK was decent but the plastic slave cylinder looked like a child's toy.

Mo

LUK make the original clutch/flywheel for Toyota!...

Thanks for the info Mistermina. You got me there! :blush: Is this for recent Avensis or includes the first and second generation models too?

The amount of work needed to change a clutch, the plate and bearing going into the car needs to be good quality and withstand the abuse. I wonder if the LUK plate sold in Eurocarpart is the same as the over the counter one sold by Toyota?

Konrad

I wonder if the LUK plate sold in Eurocarpart is the same as the over the counter one sold by Toyota?

I don't know for certain, but I very much doubt it. One of the main reasons aftermarket parts are cheaper is that they are not made to the exact standards the manufacturer determined for the production line. This is where the OEM phrase is widely abused. An aftermarket supplier may well be an OEM supplier, but the quality of an aftermarket part does not have to be the same (and often is not) as may well be the case with the plastic slave cylinder as mentioned above

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

has anyone got any proof or a certain answer, If LUK make the avensis clutch.

would really like to know.

has anyone got any proof or a certain answer, If LUK make the avensis clutch.

would really like to know.

Yes! I have... Its stamped on my DMF and Clutch plate along with Toyota stamped on it!

• Like 1

LUK make the original clutch/flywheel for Toyota!...

Thanks for the info Mistermina. You got me there! :blush: Is this for recent Avensis or includes the first and second generation models too?

The amount of work needed to change a clutch, the plate and bearing going into the car needs to be good quality and withstand the abuse. I wonder if the LUK plate sold in Eurocarpart is the same as the over the counter one sold by Toyota?

Konrad

The DMF and clutch plate I have here is for a 2007 Avensis T-180. I bought it as a "Just in case" I need one from a Mod off here...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Getting clatter in first and 2nd gear once warm, dual mass flywheel I think any recommended brands or fitters in west mids

• 1 year later...

If the recent Avensis has a LUK clutch, I'm going to get another brand as a replacement. My 2008 Avensis has only 47,000 on the clock, but the clutch is slipping quite badly and needs replacing. For comparison, my old 1998 Avensis did over 130,000 on the original clutch and I didn't have a slightest problem with it! The new models may look nicer than the pre-2000 ones, but in terms of quality and reliability, I'd have my old car back any time! The garages I've spoken to about the clutch can fit Valeo, Sachs or Borg&Beck. Any feedback on these brands, please?

BTW does anyone else have a problem with the parcel shelf in the 2008 Avensis? I don't understand why it doesn't come with hinges on it, that's a silly design, plus mine keeps breaking around the place where the sun blind cut-out is.

Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions.

Beata do you have a diesel or petrol (2008)

I,

Thank you for replying :). It's a T Spirit 2.0 petrol manual (2008) hatchback (or liftback as they officially call it). NB. there is a twist to the story - another garage said they would fit an ADL clutch, and I can't really find anything much about those, other than the mention in the first two posts in this thread. I have also found a comment somewhere that 'Mr Clutch' garages use ADL clutch kits, so would that suggest they are not very good? I am even more confused than before... :blink:

PS. Do you prefer 'I' to be used as your first name in messages, or your avensisd4d786 user name?

In case it may be of use to people: I've had the following quotes for my Avensis (2.0 petrol manual 2008) clutch replacement:

5 independent garages quoted between £589 and £813, based on a clutch replacement kit only (so no flywheel or cylinder) and the dealer's garage wanted £1,000 (they are not getting it). The cheapest one was for ADL, the others - apart from the dealer - said they typically fit LUK, Valeo, Sachs or Borg&Beck. All including parts, labour and VAT.

Hi Beata, 'I' will do its easier and quicker to type :euro:

ADL blueprint is a aftermarket brand for japanese and american vehicles.

http://www.blueprint-adl.co.uk/

my original clutch/flywheel lasted 160,000 which I think is good which was LUK (diesel fitted with dual mass flywheel)

have you had this car from new or are you the second owner.

I think them prices are a bit much I wouldn't pay that. I would be looking at 100/150 labour.

some indie garages use eurocarparts as suppliers they are listing one (valeo) which comes as a 3 piece kit at 170.40 which they will they get cheaper on trade.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Toyota_Avensis_2.0_2008/p/car-parts/car-transmission/clutch-and-associated-parts/clutch-kit/?641822040&1&c11dc075d077b983dc91b456b6694a4d5beee76e&000069

hope this helps

Hi I,

Thank you for all the info, much appreciated. I will have a look at the links.

I am the second owner, got the car at 3yo and 22,000 miles. I've done 25,000 miles in 3.5 years. The driver's floor mat was worn through when I was buying it, so maybe the first owner was generally heavy footed...

The garages I've rung all claim it is a day-long job. One guy said it would take 7 hours, another was looking up the prices while I was waiting on the phone and said 'it says here it's 6.5 hours'. I don't know how many coffee brakes they count in :pepsi:. An article on www.thisismoney.co.uk from June this year says the average garage labour cost in the UK is £74.33/hour, so if they assume a day-long job, no wonder it's so expensive. I'll try to ring up some more people to find somewhere cheaper, but even Mr Clutch, who are supposed to be cheap, quoted around £520. Maybe Surrey is just very expensive for fixing cars? (NB. I'm staying well away from Mr Clutch). Taking my cheapest quote and your Valeo price, it would leave ca. £420 for labour, so over 5 hours at the prices I've seen. Trouble is, I am not really in a position to argue with the mechanic about how long the job should take. :dontgetit:

160,000 on the original clutch sounds like my sort of an idea how things should work, lucky you! Would you happen to know where ADL parts are manufactured? Are they Japanese, or from somewhere like China? Do you think Valeo would be better than ADL? I'm a bit reluctant to go with LUK given how short-lived my original clutch has turned out to be (assuming my car does have a LUK clutch).

Thanks again, this really is very helpful. :)

It might not be LuK it could be Aisin. you wont know until you take it out unless someone on here has the same engine on here and has done a clutch change and took notice of make.

Shop around hopefully it will pay off, have you tried contact Kingo parts on here, he can do Toyota parts at discount for club members.

Not sure where the ADL clutches are made.

Clutch wear depends on drivers and what type of driving a car used around town with loads of stops and starts will have more wear than a car on the motorway.

here is a video to give you a idea.

It might not be LuK it could be Aisin. you wont know until you take it out unless someone on here has the same engine on here and has done a clutch change and took notice of make.

Shop around hopefully it will pay off, have you tried contact Kingo parts on here, he can do Toyota parts at discount for club members.

Not sure where the ADL clutches are made.

Clutch wear depends on drivers and what type of driving a car used around town with loads of stops and starts will have more wear than a car on the motorway.

here is a video to give you a idea.

Hi,

Thank you for the videos - very educational. I always wondered how exactly the clutch worked. And the first one should come with a "don't attempt it at home" warning :D

It all makes sense about the driving style/type etc. and the clutch wear - the only thing I'm wondering about is why my old car lasted 130,000 and the current one less than 50,000, with me doing most of the driving on both of them. Unless I drive differently now and don't even realise it.

I will try contacting Kingo, thank you for the suggestion. I know what I will be doing on Monday - shopping around for a reasonably priced and reliable garage.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Beata