Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 Vmatic Auto Estate, Buying Advice

Velocette

Hi folks,

My mk2 Prius has done 100k and is coming up for replacement.also I need a car with more load space and capable of towing. I do 15 to 20k pa. Thanks to a foot problem I need an auto. First thought was a diesel but the avensis diesels don't get a great write up together with the complications of dpf etc. Honestjohn recommend the 1.8 petrol. A dealer has a 2012 auto with satnav and bluetooth plus 4 years warranty for 12k which sounds goodish to me and much cheaper than a diesel. I would welcome any comments and advice from forum members together with any thoughts on realistic mpg. I have a 50 mile each way commute, not every day though, and undertake a 300 or so mile weekend round trip each month, plus local trips. We moved house to a new area a month ago and I was pleased to find a Toyota dealer, WKB, a few miles away in Waterloovile. If they are as good as Sims in Northampton I could be laughing - or not?

Thanks for reading, welcome your thoughts, Velocette

Helo Velocette, there are numerous older posts on the site with regard to the 1.8 auto and estate. Try a search.

As you will see I have a 2010 model TR estate and moved to the Avensis from a Honda Accord Auto about 18 momths ago. I assume you know that the Avensis is a CVT and not a traditional Torque Converter Auto. Although there are differences between the two i have not found it problem getting used to the CVT. I don't tow so have no knowledge of how it would perform whilst towing.

From an everyday point of view I have found the Avensis CVT to be faultless so far. It is very a comfortable and quiet drive. As you are already a Toyota owner I doubt you would find a problem moving from the Prius. I would have no hesitation buying a newer model Avensis in the future.

My last years motoring covered around 10,000 miles with around 75% on main roads and motorways in the UK and France. On the longer journeys I return 38 to 39 mpg and only drop to 37 to 38 when more urban motoring is undertaken. I do not drive like the proverbial Nun and use the power to get as much progress as possible. I am not usually fully laden weight wise, probably around 60%.Motorway cruising is usually around 75 to 80 mph. Considering this and the size of the car I think the economy is very good for a petrol engine. From reading here and other sites only the 2 litre diesel D4D makes a real world Mpg improvement but considering the extra cost to buy, it is not a great saving. At 15 to 20k miles a year you are on the edge of whether or not diesel is more suited from a financial point of view. With your regular commute and longer trips the DPF should not be an issue if you choose diesel.

Would strongly recommend you have a good test drive in both the 1.8 CVT and diesel auto before deciding. Hopefully someone with a current model Diesel auto on here will give you a view of how that performs.

I just got a 1.8 valvematic saloon auto and can eek over 50mpg if I drive uber conservatively. I reckon 40-45mpg shouldn't be too hard, and high 30's easy peasy. As Whitewagon says, it drives great.

Many thanks indeed for the helpful inputs. I did check through the last few pages for posts of interest but will also do a search. However the real user mpg info is very useful. The figures quoted are very good for a big petrol auto but after between 56 and 63 for the last few tankfuls from the Prius causes me to think! I have also found a site that suggests this particular vehicle is not good for towing but I only want to pull a light load so am not too concerned. A local garage has just put a Volvo V70 estate diesel auto up for sale, a distinctly different car and about as economical as long as it proves, reliable but no long warranty period on this one. I will take a look but perhaps with not huge enthusiasm.

Thanks for your comments, the search continues. Velocette