Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Motorway Driving

Mickfb

Sorry to bring this subject up again, but I am seriously thinking of buying a new Auris hybrid sports tourer. My commute is half A roads half motorway, 35 miles each way.I am concerned about bad mpg on motorways. I currently drive a Hyundai i10 have been very happy with this car but I have the opportunity to get a bigger car. Shall be test driving a Skoda octavia 2 litre DSG tomorrow. Completely different car to the hybrid but have to check out all options. Was really taken with the Auris on a test drive last week.

Many thanks

Mick.

It depends how you drive it. Like any car, flog it and you can expect a hit. What seems to hit it the most is the short cold start journey. I've actually obtained better mpg on a 150 mile motorway journey than on the daily runs of 5-10miles.

Well the HSD is weaker on motorways than it is on A-roads and town but the mpg it gets is by no means bad!

The Skoda DSG is a nice autobox; Fast and smooth but very expensive to repair.

The i10 is a surprisingly nice car I must admit; The features you get are incredible considering how much it costs. It does drive a lot like the Aygo/C1/107 from what I remember. (A friend of mine bought one a few years ago; I kept stalling it on the test drive! :blushing: Too used to my D4D :lol:)

Thanks all for the excellent advice. Shall report back tomorrow. I have been thinking along the same lines as you Cyker. I know I shall be wooed by its power and smooth ride but Auris still keeps calling me.

I average around 20 km/l on the motorway (70 mph) in my hybrid tourer.

I have a Lexus CT200h and like you was concerned about the MPG on the Motorway as I cover about 180 miles a day mostly Motorway. As its all during regular commuting time 7-9 and 4-6 the MWays are so busy especially into the main cities that I am usually cruising at about 70 and then spending some time towards the end of the journey sat in traffic. I've only had the car for a month but done 3,000 miles and averaged 55mpg (actual not trip computer). Also looked at the Octavia DSG but was going to go for the 1.6 diesel as this engine in previous hire cars has given me about 55mpg , where as the 2.0 used to drop below 50. In the end, I felt the design was a bit boring and the Company car tax made a hybrid a bit of a no brainer. Looked at the Prius and Auris, felt he interior quality of the of the Prius let it down compared to the Lexus, but on all other counts as good as or better (space, exterior styling), the Auris I did not like the dash design as much but drove really well. In the end though the lease cost between the Lexus and the Prius/Auris was only about £50 extra, so made my mind up for me.

Bad mpg on mtorways? Not when compared to most automatics and a good proportion of manuals.

I regularly travel on French motorways and cruise at 75-80 mph. MPG ranges from about 59 in summer to more like 55 in winter. Slow down to around 65mph and I'm up into the 60s.

What really kills it for me is that when I'm not on the motorway I don't normally drive more than a few miles at a time and the engine never has time to warm up which brings my overall average down to 54.61mpg measured over 29,000 miles.

Bad mpg on mtorways? Not when compared to most automatics and a good proportion of manuals.

I regularly travel on French motorways and cruise at 75-80 mph. MPG ranges from about 59 in summer to more like 55 in winter. Slow down to around 65mph and I'm up into the 60s.

What really kills it for me is that when I'm not on the motorway I don't normally drive more than a few miles at a time and the engine never has time to warm up which brings my overall average down to 54.61mpg measured over 29,000 miles.

My experience is very similar.

Update. Went to Skoda to test drive the Octavia that I pre booked, they didn't have a car for me to try . I was not happy, told them they have just lost a cash sale. Must be someone trying to tell me something! So called into Toyota and booked in a 2 hour test drive I think the salesman can taste blood !.

Mick

I've heard many times about how Toyota Hybrids give rubbish fuel economy on the motorways. And yet, the best economy we've had yet on our Prius on a long run was 60-70% motorway at a steady 70 mph. The aerodynamics of the Prius may help however, so perhaps the Auris might not be so great in those conditions? Even so, I wouldn't expect it to be too bad.

I have had 55mpg out of my Auris on a motorway run, averaging 70mph on cruise with 4 adults and luggage. Personally I don't think that is too bad for a 1.8l petrol.

I've heard many times about how Toyota Hybrids give rubbish fuel economy on the motorways.

From Jeremy Clarkson?

Toyota hybrids are pretty good on motorways. All the engine has to do is overcome drag and friction and keep the momentum going. The electric motor and Atkinson cycle ICE are pretty good for that and are uber-efficient. You often find that you are using no fuel at all while doing 70mph. :)

I regularly do long motorway runs and get ~60mpg no problems with an average speed of 50mph for the whole journey (includes getting to and from the motorway).

I've heard many times about how Toyota Hybrids give rubbish fuel economy on the motorways.

From Jeremy Clarkson?

Worse yet, from the Toyota sales guy we bought the car off. He was a trainee mind...

Just another urban myth bollards from those who don't know any better

There are not many petrol auto's that you can get high 50's out of on ANY road conditions

Kingo :thumbsup:

Well I think it is safe to say, that "myth" is busted

Many thanks to you all.

Mick

I too nearly bought a Mk7 Golf DSG diesel, but thank my stars I opted for a new Prius instead...

no DPF, no dual mass fly wheel, no turbo charger, no cam belt, no gear box, and no more hassles from VAG warranty/service

5 stars for a great piece of Japanese engineering....good luck Mick

Coincidentally I have been doing some motorway driving this week. On Monday I drove from Ampthill in Bedfordshire to Matlock in Derbyshire. Most of the journey was on the M1 where I drove with the cruise control set to 70 mph.

Then it was on through the Peak District to Ashton under Lyne where we stayed overnight. Next morning we drove on to Ambleside in the Lake District, most of the journey on the Motorways around Manchester then the M61 and the M6 again with cruise control set to 70 mph. Finally we drove through the Lake District to Portinscale near Keswick.

The overall mileage for the two day trip is showing as 61.6 mpg. Many five minute sections on the motorways showed as exceeding 75 mpg.

It's very difficult for me to understand where the idea arises that the Prius performs poorly on motorways.

• Like 1

I think it arises from the theoretical point that regeneration comes from braking and since on a motorway you aren't doing any braking (sometimes true), then the Battery isn't being used and so you are towing the excess weight of the Battery and not getting any benfit from it. In practice I find that even on an apparently level motorway the car is continually switching between Battery and ICE in response to changes in accelerator pedal and slight changes in road angle. This also seems to apply if the cruise control is on. The battery is also charged,of course, each time you go down a hill.

Deposit paid Auris Excel hybrid sports tourer in zenith blue.

Again many thanks for all your helpful comments.

Mick

• Like 1

Had a 2 hour test drive in the hatchback version. I didn't drive it like a granny in fact I done a lot of overtaking speeds and driving at 70 mph on the motorway. In total I drove 80 miles and the car read out was showing 67 mpg avg. The good wife loved the smooth ride and comfortable seats. I personally just loved the relaxing drive and soon got the hand of economical driving. I would have liked to have a drive of the tourer first but the salesmen assured me it is not too different to the hatchback. I just love the looks and practicability of the tourer all reviews seem okay(the decent reviews). Anyway signed on the dotted line and have to wait 4 weeks.

Mick

Mickfb, you probably won't have to wait that long.

I was given 13th September for my Yaris Hybrid. Instead I collected it today a week early.

I drove home the long way then collected my Mum and took her for a drive. She loved it too.

Weii I think if safe to say, that "myth" is busted.

Many thanks to U all

Regards

SADEE

I am looking for a owner's manual in english for MARK II, X100,Grande Regalia, 1999 model in Bangladesh.

Thanks to all of U

Regards

Sadee

DHAKA

BANGLADESH

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links