Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where Can I Find The Ignition Control Module?

Kapteinmoby

where can i find the ingnition control module on a avensis 1998 4A-fe with distributor(electronic timing adjusted) and seperat coil?

and what does it do?

i really need help to get my car started! :)

If you are talking about the crank sensor, it is located close to the crankshaft pulley at the rear of the engine. That reads the position of the crank and tells the ECU.

If the crank sensor fails, the car will not start. The starter turns the engine but there is no spark at the plugs.

I think you may be on the right track.

today i got a obd 2 scanner, and the following codes came up:

P2110

P0110

P1310: igniter Circuit

P0710: transminssion Fluid Temperature circuit

two codes with explenation and two without. i also changed the coil(low currant to high currant electricity transformer) but this diddnt help(i diddnt use originale toyota; 7* the price). any ideas why no spark?

If I am correct, the ecu tells the coil when to fire, the crank sensor helps with the timing by telling the ecu the position and speed of the crankshaft. The ecu then works out when to fire the coil, by working out temperature, load, engine speed, air temperature and possibly vacuum (not sure on that). That means you need to focus on those components.

Is power getting to the ECU and coils.

You have used a code reader to obtain the fault codes, on what is a mk1 Avensis which is pre-vvti. If you used the jumper wire trick, you can get the codes from the flashing EML light.

The other question is - your car an automatic?

The best advice is to go and see an auto electrician.

wel, the coil(not coils) is getting power, i have a avensis with the ignitionsystem from the carina.

i had to use a code reader because the jumper wire trick didn't work(abs light flashing out non existing codes)

i drive a manual shift.

Jonas,

I did an quick check and looked at your profile, and realise that your engine is a different variant of the 4A-FE to that sold in the UK. No wonder you said that you hate the fact that Haynes manual does not cover your type of ignition system. Yes the UK Avensis has distributorless ignition system with dual coils.

The problem is that Haynes is a UK publication for the British market.

If the Carina with your engine is covered by Haynes, then you would have to use that in combination with the Avensis edition - not ideal.

If you have not done so try following the cables from the coil. The car may still have an ECU which in the UK is under the dashboard behind the glovebox. The ignition module may be part of the coil unit. It is a small box on the coil body itself.

Try ToyoDIY.com. You will have to sign up before you see any diagrams.

Konrad

thanks, i sendt a e-mail in anger and desperation to haynes, and they sendt me a pdf of the ignition chapter for the carina and told me that the system was the same as in my avensis :)

i couldent find avensis in the toyoDIY car list.

thanks, i sendt a e-mail in anger and desperation to haynes, and they sendt me a pdf of the ignition chapter for the carina and told me that the system was the same as in my avensis :)

i couldent find avensis in the toyoDIY car list.

I found it, but I don't want to break any terms and conditions with ToyoDIY, so here is the route to the parts you want to know.

Engine tab, then ignition coil and spark plug. Part 19500 - 16030 or 90050 - 19005. this is the coil/ignition unit.

The second Electrical parts tab, then electronic fuel injection system. Part 89661-05200 or 05230 or 05231. engine control computer.

I typed this whilst the ToyoDIY page was opened in another tab.

It is best that you sign up to ToyoDIY because you can then see the diagrams, not just words and numbers. When you enter the your vin plate number, the site will put you to your car spec. Then follow the route I typed.

You can also enter the part numbers XXXXX-XXXXX to find what you are searching for.

Konrad

Is this car fitted with an immobiliser ? UK spec cars would have one and can suffer from water ingress into the alarm siren ( fitted low down in front wheel arch behind plastic liner ) this shorts the siren so you don't hear it. it also stops the alarm from disarming which means the car just cranks but will never start, just a theory ?

Also I can answer the missing descriptions for your fault codes

P0110 - Intake Air Temperature Circuit Malfunction

P2110 - Throttle actuator control system malfunction.

What is unusual is Toyota didn't use 5 digit fault codes back in 1998 they used the earlier 2 digit codes are you sure your codes are accurate?

If you PM your chassis number I can look up parts diagrams if need them.

i tried the hotwire stuf but it didnt work so i used the obd2 tool and it worked, so i guess that in the norwegian market the car came with obd2 codes and separate coil and distributor :P

yesterday i got the car running! first i used my normal key, but when it started fireing the power to the starter cutted(the immobiliser). so i used my other key and it fired clean up. i stopped the car(needed som parts for the coolingsystem) got som parts attached them and it fired right up again. i whent home to eat dinner and after that i whent for a drive to some friends(36 minutes). i pared the car there and several hours later i started the car and whent home.

this morning i was going to the shop and the same problem acured, the car wont fire!!!!

i forgot, the thing i did to get the car fiering was to connect the HT leads better from the coil to the distributor(un originale coil and HT lead)

and sorry for my bad english

Since your ignition system is more old school than mine, I suggest you may need to change the distributor cap, rotor arm and the coil to distributor lead.

The cable between the coil and distributor should be changed with the HT leads.

The distributor cap may have broken down causing tracking - the current is earthing out.

These are the parts changed from the newer system.

but i fixed the problem by changing the coil yesterday. wouldent i have noticed on my drive(s) also if there was a problem with the cap or rotor?

i changed the cable between the coil and the distributor, not from the distributor to the plugs.

also i dont know how to loosen the rotorarm, and i dont want to be messing around inside the distributor without the knowledge. (i know old distributors, but thisone is hoocked up to the ECU)

Hi me again might seem a strange question but do you have an oil cooler on your car as there are two ignition systems available with & without oil cooler ?

i'm not sure, i will check. my friend tested the secondary voltage out of my coil, and it reed 12,5v(Battery volt) why? i tested the impedans on the primary and secondary windings and they where good.

• 6 months later...

hey, i know its a long time since last post, but i finaly have the Yota running again. at the workshop they told me that there was some faulty connections in the wireingharness to the ecu so they fixed it. then it was good, but after a while the problem was back, but then we tried to towstart it, and that worked every time! so i sendt it to the workshop again because they would have a look again for free. then they told me that it had a faultcode on the crankshaftsensor, but after i got it home again it starts every time. now i have two other problems. http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/157260-cupe-heatingcirculation-problem/