Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stupid Questions On 2009 Avensis.

Gary Boldie

Hi all,

After around 5 years with a Mondeo, I think it's time to change cars and an Avensis is top of the list. My budget looks like it will stretch to a 2009 Diesel T4 or TSpirit estate.

Fuel consumption is a major concern for me. Does anyone have any real-world figures for the 2.0D or 2.2D?

Also, does the trip computer show instantaneous MPG or just average?

I'm sure I'll be annoying everyone with loads more trivial questions shortly...

Cheers,

Gary.

It shows both.

Ah great. Thanks for that. Googling was getting me conflicting answers and it was bugging me.

Cheers,

Gary.

instantaneous is in the form of a line which grows from left to right. Further to the left means poor mpg and the average mpg is displayed as a figure. Had 54mpg out of my 1.8 petrol valvematic yesterday, driving at 56mph.

My 2006 2.2 D4D claims 50 - 55 mpg on motorways. I haven't done a more accurate measurement/calculation, basically, because I was happy enough to get a rough indication from the car.

instantaneous is in the form of a line which grows from left to right. Further to the left means poor mpg and the average mpg is displayed as a figure. Had 54mpg out of my 1.8 petrol valvematic yesterday, driving at 56mph.

Sounds good. I'm doing 500 miles a week at the moment, so getting the best fuel consumption is something I can get very anal about.

<rant>

My Mondeo doesn't have an instantaneous mode, despite having a huge flashy-looking full colour display between the speedo and tacho. It's totally wasted - a blatant example of something Ford fitted just to look good in brochure photos.

</rant>

Cheers,

Gary.

My 2006 2.2 D4D claims 50 - 55 mpg on motorways. I haven't done a more accurate measurement/calculation, basically, because I was happy enough to get a rough indication from the car.

Oooh, I'd be more than happy with that. Using my best "hypermiling" techniques, I currently manage to wring 36mpg out of the Mondeo on my commute (clear A-roads). Round town, I get around 19mpg if I'm not too careful.

Serves me right for buying a 2.5T petrol I suppose. When I bought it, I had a 5 minute commute and a fuel card. It was nice while it lasted...

Cheers,

Gary.

If its the new model Avensis then a nice 2.2 150 D4D T4 would be lovely big car! The 2.0 is likely to be dead, well it is in the Auris and that's much lighter!

Go for the 2.2 - I've driven both and the 2.2 seems a bit more flexible and nicer to drive.

I can average 45mpg out of my T180 on motorway runs and driving like a vicar at 60mph in 6th gear pulls under 2000 rpm and I averaged 58mpg on a 300 mile drive.

I could get over 60mpg from my 09 T27 2.0 diesel if driven conservatively, 55 was pretty easy, and 50 fairly effortless. It's got enough poke but it's not a racing car. It's got a far smoother feel than the last Ford diesels I drove (Jaguar X Type and C-Max 2.0), it just seems less fierce if you get my drift. I reckon Toyota deliberately do this so they have a smoother ride.

This is all very encouraging. I've never had a diesel before but, now my mileage has shot up, I think it's time I switched to the dark side. It sounds like the reduction in fuel costs will take a reasonable chunk out of the cost of changing.

Now I just need to find the right car...

Cheers,

Gary

The new Valvematic 1.8 petrol engine in the T27 Avensis shows good fuel figures. Maybe worth a look as they should be cheaper to buy. Maintainance down a bit too maybe.

The new Valvematic 1.8 petrol engine in the T27 Avensis shows good fuel figures. Maybe worth a look as they should be cheaper to buy. Maintainance down a bit too maybe.

That's a possibility, though I think I'm still leaning towards a 2.2 diesel at the moment. It'll be dictated a bit by what's available, though I'm not really in a hurry...

Cheers,

Gary.

Major different reports on the mpg from the 2.2, but maybe it's the difference between the 150 or 180bhp versions? Some folks reporting as low as low 30's, others saying mid 50's. I presume you are aware of the high number of cylinder head problems with the 2.2 diesel too? I reckon I would permanently drive one with one eye on the temp guage.

Major different reports on the mpg from the 2.2, but maybe it's the difference between the 150 or 180bhp versions? Some folks reporting as low as low 30's, others saying mid 50's. I presume you are aware of the high number of cylinder head problems with the 2.2 diesel too? I reckon I would permanently drive one with one eye on the temp guage.

It's too late now!

I went to see a '59 2.2 180bhp T4 on the way home from work today and ended up leaving a deposit. It's a D-CAT too so I'll no doubt have all sorts of DPF problems in addition to only being able to manage 30mpg and having the head curl up. All this will happen on the way home when I pick the car up on Saturday...

Cheers,

Gary.

@alan333 - it's a new model Avensis 2.2 so the cylinder head problem will more than likely to have been fixed by then - anyways this problem affects all AD engined D4D's 2.0 and 2.2! between 06 and mid 09 Plus Toyota extended the warranty to 7yrs/112k miles, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I have a 2.2 D-CAT 180 which just has had the engine replaced - nice car and pulls lovely - not brilliant on diesel but not terrible either. I wouldn't worry about DPF problems as long as low ash oil and branded diesel are used along with a good revving once a week

On the subject of fuel, the Technical team from the Institute of Advanced Motorists recently published a reply to a letter stating that whilst, a good while ago, there was doubt about the quality of supermarket fuels and the additives they did or did not use, these days you can fill up anywhere without fear of damage or issues. I have been running supermarket fuel since buying the car. Over 100k miles later it still goes like hot snot.

It's too late now!

I went to see a '59 2.2 180bhp T4 on the way home from work today and ended up leaving a deposit. It's a D-CAT too so I'll no doubt have all sorts of DPF problems in addition to only being able to manage 30mpg and having the head curl up. All this will happen on the way home when I pick the car up on Saturday...

Cheers,

Gary.

All the best enjoying your new car. I'm sure it'll be a joy to drive and hopefully trouble free for many years :)

So far so good. I've been playing with it for a day and it's all very nice. I'm still getting to grips with all the toys, It claims to be doing over 40mpg around town. The acid test will be the drive to work and back tomorrow...

Cheers,

Gary.

It's too late now!

Cheers,

Gary.

Sounds a beautiful car Gary and I'm loving my 06 T180 so far. I think you made a good choice and yes loads of kit on these cars it's all a bit confusing initially.

Not sure just quite how bad the issues are with Toyota's as all diesels seem to suffer from countless problems - fingers crossed we are the lucky ones!