Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Or 1.8 T Sport?

Gerry_A

Hey guys,

New to the forum, looking for a bit of advice if you can help please!

I'm (soon to be) in the market for a new car, as soon as I sell my current one. I've been looking at the Corolla for the last few days and I've more or less made up my mind on it. I'm just looking for opinions on the 1.6 or 1.8 T Sport models.

They're fairly rare over here in Ireland so I'd probably be importing but I'm wondering is there much difference between the two in terms of economy?

I can't even get a test drive in one over here because they are so few and far between. I'd like the 1.8 for power and just because it is a performance car but at the same time, I'm wondering will it be very thirsty over a 1.6, or even a 1.4?

I drive 250-350 miles a week, mostly open road with very little stop start as I'm going from the countryside to the outskirts of a town, even with my diesel car I'm achieving high MPG figures so that should help in a petrol Corolla!

Any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks.

I've read on another forum about issues with 5th and 6th gear being too similar which can be annoying on longer journeys when cruising. Is this true? Is there any fix or is it a real issue? Maybe it's just someone being too picky?

1.8 VVTL-i is a completely different beast to the 1.6 - I know a guy that had a 1.4 Corolla before the 1.8 and said that they were identical mpg wise unless you drive the 1.8 hard. We had a 1.8 and 5th and 6th were fine, no issues that I can remember. Pulled as well as you would expect a 1.8 petrol engine then completely changes character above 6250 rpm. The 1.8 definately is not hard run for the power of them, id say you would average around 37-38mpg with the type of driving you will be doing with a bit of fun.

Performance wise 110bhp v 190bhp - the 1.8 will blow your mind power wise in comparison to the 1.6. Driven hard and properly they go like stink. Youtube 1.8 vvtli to give you an idea of what they go like - they sound awesome as well.

Only real problem for you is the tax and VRT - but if its isnt an issue a nice facelift t-sport is a cracking car for all the money they go for now.

Just bought a 1.8 T sport and it's a hoot......even me driving it I get 30mpg average....did a fill up measurement to confirm the computer. Wife easily gets 35+ when commuting to work....She gets the MPG read out over 35mpg and I take it down to 30mpg. As noted above 1.6 and 1.8 are totally different characters. T Sport is a wolf in sheeps clothing and can do daily commute easily. There is little difference between 5th and 6th but car doesn't really need anything apart from 2nd and 5th...it pulls like train from low down and at 6250rpm just kicks like a mule. Road tax is a bit of a pain but see if you can get one with6 months on it already. It's a solid beast, good road holding and it is not noisy on the motorway...so says my wife and she can hear a pin drop at 30 feet.....or a beer can open at 20 feet.

Would recommend the T Sport.......you will not be disappointed and you are only young once. I would happily drive the car from Aberdeen to Edinburgh and back again. We had a Focus 1.6 Zetec before and there is no comparison in my eyes. You can probably tell I am a convert. Also just did a service on the T Sport myself - oil, oil filter, air filter, cabin filter and it was £40. My wife calls it nippy. It is also not very crashy across the bumps and potholes either. If you have a look in Gumtree there is a good looking T Sport for sale in Aberdeen for a good price.

The noise insulation is really good on the corolla, but sorry I'll contradict and say the T Sport is loud at 75/80mph (around 4k rpm) imo compared to most cars I've driven. Its quiet as a mouse below 55 in 6th when cruising and its difficult to hear the engine running when stationary.

50 miles a day not stopping and a light foot I'll guestimate around 35-36mpg. The problem is its very tempting to put your foot down because you get addicted to the noise of the engine.

I only do about 70 miles a week as I cycle to work and use company cars .. so I average about 30mpg with a heavy foot ;)

If you go for a test drive and consider buying one always warm it up and take it into lift to ensure its all working ok.

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful! The fact that it is noisy at 70-80 worries me, I don't do a lot of motorway driving but at the same time I would do some with hospital trips and I don't want something screaming around me, or even worse... the patient! :) Even the wind noise aggravates me some days. Other than that it does sound like a great car, even on fuel economy its not bad.

The VRT is about 1400 to bring one in, regarding tax, what cc is the engine? 1798? I had an Accord at one stage and it was just over 2200 which put it into the higher band of tax! :disgust:

I think you need to determine what you are measuring it against re the noise at 60-70.

A 5 series BMW.....the Beemer is quieter......no surprise there then.

A Toyota Avensis Verso.....Corolla is quieter....Verso is a big boxy car and road noise and wind noise is high.

A Fiat Grande Punto 1.2......Corolla is quieter.....easily so.

A Merc S series...guess what the Merc is quieter.

A Kia Venga....Corolla quieter.

A Audi 1 Series FSI........pretty much the same.

Golf 1.4 FSI....Golf is quieter...

Ford Focus 1.6 zetec 2002 model.......Corolla is quieter.

All above from personal experience and hire cars.

Didnt think ours was particularly noisy at 70-80 in 6th - wouldn't be any worse than a 1.6 corolla anyway...if its a corolla you want get a 2.0 D4D if you want economy with decent go or the VVTLi for performance with fairly reasonable running costs

Thanks again for the replies, very helpful stuff! The 2litre diesel is very rare around here, a cousin of mine got a 1.4 diesel as far as I know. Wouldn't imagine it would be in any ways quick?!

• 1 month later...

Looking to get a T Sport for my next (2nd) car. Was looking at facelift models as I wanted to keep this car for a while. Only thing that really bothers me is the Rip Off Extortionate priced car tax of £260. Anything to look for when test driving one? Obsually check the lift but anything else. Only problem about buying one used is it has been ragged to hell and back but as many said the engine is bullet proof.

Chances are given the type of car it is it has been abused but it's nothing to worry about - ours took some legendary abuse - lotus put this engine in an exige so it's built for abuse. As long as it's well serviced with proper oils and filters and an eye kept on the levels, they are a strong motor

Would agree with above post. It's a Toyota after all!! Service it regularly - oil, filters, etc and it should be fine. Would suggest you keep your eyes open on Gumtree as that is where I saw our one. The good thing is that most people do not know about the T-Sport. They just see Corolla and move onto the enxt Honda Civic which is good for us! There are some good ones out there and dare I say it even some of the garages have no idea about the "lift".

I have had ours for about 2 months and it is great. My wife uses it to go to and from work and it is placcid as you like. Just been a weekend away and been on roads that the car was made for...up and down the Lecht....and it just takes everything in it's stride.