Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 1998 Petrol

Searover

My Rav4 has run well since I bought it 15 years ago it has 105,000 miles on the clock.

This year it started juddering at low speed...Toyota fitted a new clutch, timing belt also front wheel bearing.....then I had problems with a clunk changing gear.....rear and front diff bushes fitted as well as suspension bushes. Rav was fine for a while although I still had a clunk from the rear occasionally, but now I am getting severe juddering at speed on releasing throttle.

I have spent so much this year and I am loath to get rid of my trusty RAV 4. Please can someone advise.

Not sure but prior to 2001 didn't both petrol and diesel engines have a belt? Might be worth adding your fuel type to your profile for the gurus on here when they get home. Welcome to the forum btw.

• 2 weeks later...

How have you got on?

The propshaft mid mounting can cause judder if worn. I remember I had that replaced due to a bad judder - the thing had all but collapsed.

I am no expert, but this has to be drive related, and my first port of call would be the prop shaft bushes. Alternatively, it could also be a clutch problem, but you have had a new one fitted. BTW, I think that your car, if it is petrol then it has a chain driven cam, but I stand to be corrected.

Welcome to the forum, and where have you been all these years!! :clap:

Thanks for all the help....the lead mechanic at Toyota has checked things over and the genereral opinion now seems to be a miss fire problem and they are looking at the distributor. So hopefuul I might get the "Old Samurai" back this week sometime. I just wish that they still made the ttree door version of the Rav4.

Anyway thanks for all the help and suggestions..very much appreciated.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links