Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trc/vsc/abs Lights On. Egr Valve

cottlad

Had a word with Toyota service chap who thinks either EGR valve coked or Cat problem. Hopefully the former which he quoted £360 to sort out. He said it would need a new EGR valve at over £200 but can't they just be cleaned out? There is an extended warranty for this issue but that's 7 years or 110k miles. Mine's 7 years and 8 months with 94k miles so they're not interested which is a tad disappointing :(

So think I'll have a look myself and follow the EGR cleaning guide I found on this site.

Quick questions:

-How will I know if it worked? Will the lights go out or will it need re-setting? Will it reset if I disconnect the Battery for a few mins?

-The service guy said it would need a new EGR valve..... Is this really necessary or are they just after an easy job and a quick buck?

Also, the engine management light isn't on whereas I see from previous similar threads theirs were.

Any other help or comments before I start would be appreciated.

Do you have an Avensis, a Yaris or both??

Get it cleaned mate and take it from there,disconnect the Battery for half an hour or so to clear the historical codes.

• Like 1

Oh no :(

So I cleaned out the valve and put everything back together. Wasn't as coked as a few pics I've seen of others but holes were blocked.

Started the engine and everything started OK. Disconnected the Battery and after 30 minutes started the engine again. Dammit.....Trc/vsc/abs Lights are still lit :(

Any suggestions? Got an awful feeling I could be facing a hefty bill :(

Alright Cottlad,

I am gonna go ahead and put your mind at ease. These ones are stupid(these lights) as they come on for most weird reasons but when you think about it, its the only brake related warning thingys these cars have other than the abs lights (which on some cars are separate). This is a most common occurance and has generally happened due to brake light bulbs being out. Having said that, its not the only reason they come on. I have seen people shorting the trc/vsc/abs light buls hence light staying on all the time as well as people blowing their yaw sensors. I wouldnt sweat this but since its brake related would definitely get it checked out.

Best Regards,

Waqar

• Like 1

Cheers,

Have booked it in for a diagnostic tomorrow. Will let the thread know what occurs for future ref

Well could have been worse. Had her plugged in and it showed faulty front ABS sensor. All sorted now but £195 lighter.

• Like 1