Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Member...ignition Problems Already!

Andy_G6R

Hi guys, names Andy. I reciently purchased a nice E11 G6R Corolla. It's the one with the 1600 4afe engine. Ive had plenty toyotas mainly MR2s and currently have a nice MK1 MR2 in my garage being restored. Anyway I have an issue and im pulling my hair out.

The car starts well and runs through the gears fine but sometimes, not always it doesn't idle properly. Tick over varies and sometimes if I try and blip the throttle i get no response and it sounds spluttery. It seems to clear after a while and all seems well then it returns. The problem isnt temperature specific either ie it sometimes does it from cold and sometimes sitting in traffic. Sometimes coming up to a junction if I dip the clutch the idle sits at 1100rpm before dropping once the car comes to a stop. So far I have removed the throttle body, cleaned the IACV and the TPs and it didnt make a difference. The plugs seem ok as does the dizzy cap and arm. I had the exhast replaced after silencer just after the cat and the problem seemed to start then. Lastly my alternator bearing squeeks a bit, if I dribble WD40 between the pully and the body of the alternator it silences it temporeralry would an alternato on its way out cause this? I have had a look and I cant find an o2 sensor on the exhaust, should I have one? What else would you guys suggest. Apologies for such a technical first post its just annoying me.

Andy,

See if you can find your car here.......can't see a 1600 4AFE engined model but could just me being thick.

If problems started after you replaced rear end exhaust then suggest something not right. Difficult to tell if there should be O2 sensors or not but if there should be and there isn't would suggest that's where your problem lies.

http://www.toyodiy.com/

Ken

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links