Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota's Hybrid Family

FROSTYBALLS

Autocar has an article this week on Toyota achieving 5 million hybrid sales since 1997, and includes a photo showing the hybrid 'family'. The hybrid range is a bit more extensive than people think, and includes:

Prius; Prius C (Yaris sized hybrid for US and Asian markets); Auris hatchback and estate; Yaris; Avalon - premium mid-size saloon; Lexus CT; Lexus IS; Lexus ES; Lexus GS; Lexus LS; Lexus RX; Corolla Axio - saloon for Japanese market; Prius+; Prius Plug-in; Crown Royal - executive saloon for Japanese market; Estima - MPV; Camry; Alphard - MPV; Highlander - seven seater SUV.

The photo also includes the TS030 - the first hybrid car entered into FIA's World Endurance Championship.

Indeed, I've not heard of the Avalon, Corolla Axio, Crown Royal, Estima or Alphard.

I think both the Highlander and Camry had a different design of Hybrid system, possibly not a full hybrid? (a full being one that could run either electric alone, or petrol alone, or both)

I also vaguely recall some members here a few years ago wishing for a Hybrid Avensis, based on the fact that Toyota could make a Hybrid Camry, although I think the North American Camry was larger than our Avensis.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

I am doing a project for university centred around the Prius (based on my on fascination!)

I know why I went for a Prius, but I am trying to gather some other opinions.... what was your motivation to buy a Prius?

Would be great to hear your thoughts!

Thanks

Hi all!

I am doing a project for university centred around the Prius (based on my on fascination!)

I know why I went for a Prius, but I am trying to gather some other opinions.... what was your motivation to buy a Prius?

Would be great to hear your thoughts!

Thanks

Three identical posts - would you like three different answers???

Sorry! I put it on a couple of threads that I thought would be relevant. Only just joined up... my bad!

any thoughts would be great!

Sorry! I put it on a couple of threads that I thought would be relevant. Only just joined up... my bad!

any thoughts would be great!

No need for you to apologise AnnaClare

I think that our prickly friend aCactus may have got out of bed on the wrong side this morning :)

By placing your enquiry in three Prius threads you may hopefully get some replies from our normally helpful and friendly Prius members

Good Luck :)

• Like 1

If I'm being totally honest, I like to tell myself I did it because I wanted to cut down on my emissions, save money for the environment but the reality is really that I just liked the car and thought it could save me money. Think maybe we kid ourselves how "green" we really are. I definitely enjoyed showing it off to friends when I first bought it and I think it enhanced my green credentials but if I'm telling the truth I don't know iff that is why I bought it in the first place.

I have definitely found that having the monitor has affected the way I drive.

I think the green element was a motivation for me, but rather I'll just have the car and that's my bit done. Before I bought it I never thought about changing the way I drive...

My requirements were a proper Automatic, Petrol and not less than 35 mpg. When I started reading up on the Prius and Hybrid technology, I was impressed, but given the initial, higher purchase price and unique technology that only Toyota dealers could fix the 8-year Hybrid warranty on my model was necessary to swing it. When the Gen 3 was released with only a 3-year Hybrid warranty, I pretty much concluded that I would not have bought a Prius.

As most of our driving is 30-40mph urban, we wanted a decent auto instead of a manual, good urban fuel economy ...oh, and low road tax.

The Tesla X might be our next car after a few years.