Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Why Does Toyota Handbook Say No Cruise Control When Towing

biggun

Greeting's everyone. I have just read in my Toyota handbook that they advise not to use Cruise Control when towing. Has anyone got any idea's as to why this should be.

Any advice would be greatly appretiated.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

You could have just bumped your earlier topic, rather than raise a new one.

From doing a web search, there doesn't seem to be any legal reason for not using cruise control whilst towing.

However, experience tends to be mixed. Some with auto transmission don't like the cruise control making the transmission downshift when it doesn't seem necessary. Others prefer the feeling of being more in control when not using cruise when towing.

My owners manual states "to NOT use cruise control in the following situations. Doing so may result in control of the vehicle being lost and could result in an accident:

- in heavy traffic

- on roads with sharp bends

- on winding roads

- on slippery roads, such as those covered with rain, snow, or ice

- on steep hills

- when your vehicle is towing or during emergency towing."

So, as the manual says, it is to do with potential loss of control of the vehicle.

Thanks a lot for the reply Mike, sorry for the delay getting back. I tried to find the delete button for the earlier topic but had no luck so I don't know how to "bump" it off. But your answer was very helpful. I thought it might be a safety advice thing that toyota was getting at, but I just wanted to check with someone if there was any detrimental problems that could harm the engine and gearbox. The car is a manual 2.0 ltr D-4D and I never let the engine labour when I am towing our light weight caravan. So I can't see why on a good stretch of motorway that I couldn't use the cruise control to have a break for a short spell from sitting in one position and to stop my foot from going to go to sleep (old age) Ha Ha . By the way if anyone is interested when i'm towing I get 32.5mpg most times and around 52mpg solo which I think is very good to say we have bikes and all the other stuff associated with caravan touring on board.

Anyway THANKS AGAIN Mike for your reply

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links