Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Cooler On Vvti Engines ( I Know There Isn't One) Please Read.

waqar_lionheart

Hi All,

Please bear with me as I know this topic has been discussed on a nano level. However, I was going through some old threads ( i read for fun and i know its sad but its my kick) and found that the issue with vvti engines was essentially bad piston design, number of oil drain holes, leading to oil temperatures rising quite high and caking as a result gathering at the ring of the piston and scoring the bore line hence the leak and then yadi yadi yada.

So grand master toyota's solution was to increase the size of sump from 3.7 litres to 4.7 litres more oil to go around and reducing the temperature of the oil. This was combined with a modified dipstick and given the name OPTIFIT short engine block.

NOW THE CLINCHER?????

The previous bullet proof 7A-FE engines had an oil cooler, i have seen a diagram of it by BigMo on the thread and i think Konrad, fastbob, t-spirit pete and some others were involved in the thread. i think cmia as well. This diagram showed the oil cooler sitting just above the oil filter where it attaches to the SUMP and had sticky out bits, inlet and outlet of cooling factor( I think this was water cooled) and it seemed rather easy to fit with out having to adapt it especially to your car. So I am wondering about two things here. Can i put a bigger capacity SUMP on my vvti obviously with baffles with out having to modify anything and ALSO can i nick the oil cooler from mk1 pre face lift 7afe engines and put it on my vvti engine with out having to modify anything and what affect would it have on the level of coolant in the car and what are the possible scenarios i need to be aware of.

I am sorry to resurrect this old skeleton of a topic but i found it fascinating to decided to explore it. I am attaching the picture here as an attachment. Eagerly waiting.

Best Regards,

Waqar

post-127745-0-94059400-1378457847_thumb.

• Like 1

Waqar, you are on the right track.

My bit about the oil cooler was because Toyota did not fit it to the vvti Avensis! The Celica with the 2ZZ engine is fitted with the oil cooler as shown in your diagram. I am not sure how different the 1ZZ is to the 2ZZ engine.

The bigger oil sump for the 1ZZ engine was fitted as part of the oil burning fix. The dip stick was modified or changed to match.

You need the advice of the vvti experts! :thumbsup:

Konrad

"So grand master toyota's solution was to increase the size of sump from 3.7 litres to 4.7 litres more oil to go around and reducing the temperature of the oil. This was combined with a modified dipstick and given the name OPTIFIT short engine block."

Toyota also redesigned the pistons with 8 rather than 4 oil return holes, redesigned the piston rings to improve durability and oil clearing abilities. The sump size was never increased just the increasing of the oil level with a recalibrated ( min/max marks moved up the stick )dipstick. ( MR2 didnt get this as the sump was too small to allow the increase )

The Optifit block was a reconditioned short block with all the modifications applied this cut down on the repair times reducing Toyota's warranty repair cost & reduced the repair complexity making it quicker for dealers.

It is still possible to get the individual modified parts if your block is servicable, but the short motor repair is quicker and easier.

Fitting an oil cooler: the oil filter is the same on the earlier 1.8 7Afe and the 1.4,1.6 & 1.8 vvti, but I cannot confirm that the longer union needed from the 7afe will fit into the vvti block, if it does all you would have to do is plumb in the coolant feed and return pipes to the new cooler and add a little more coolant to the circuit.

So long as the installation of the oil cooler is done well it cannot harm the engine to have one, but I doubt it is the answer to the oil issues as Toyota would have done it themselves rather than spending thousands on major engine work under warranty.

• Like 1

Hi DevonAygo,

Hope you are well. thanks for the info. Is it possible to confirm somehow if the sump size in my current car 1.8vvti 2001 GS avensis is adequate for 4.7Litres of oil. Because what i dont want to do is to submerge my crank shaft in oil and let my engine go kaput.???:) any help is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Waqar

The sump was never changed only the increase in oil level and a modified dipstick to read the new levels part # 15301-0D011

The 2.0 vvti (D4)(1AZ-FSE) in my '01 avensis appears to have an oil cooler. According to toyodiy the part number is 15710-28020. It looks very similar to the one in attached drawing.

Do you know how it is rigged in with the coolant system?

Regards,

Waqar

I guess i ll have to ring toyota to find out about the sump capacity.

Regards,

Waqar

Waqar

I just PM'd you a reply to a question you asked me directly on this subject.

I hope you find any new information, plus I know you will like the answer.

Konrad

Thank You very much Konrad for the PM. Just read it and it has put my mind at ease. I am going to overfill it by 10mm. I think the logic is sound and I am going to run it like this. Will report if anything changes. I am currently using 5w30 as its the thinnest appropriate oil for my 1.8 vvti 2001. I have put the oil treatment bottle in my car and that helped I believe some what. I shall carry on with this and keep a close eye on things.

Regards,

Waqar

Thanks Perdaneil. I really appreciate all the help. As it stands, i might roll with the Idea of a modified dipstcik and 10mm overfill(well I mean overfill with original dipstick). As my only question is that if oil cooler was the answer, toyota could have put one in and its a damn well less costly solution than replacing original with optifit. But as i said, I appreciate all the help.

Best Regards,

Waqar

when I ran subarus back in my heyday

I got oil filter modine,s and it just went between filter and original garbage token gesture coolant type oil cooler as shown in pics above.

the modine intercepts oil to filter feed/return and loops it closed circuit back to engine but via an oil cooler

benefits..

bit of bling if on display peeking from your bumper with alloy intercooler ( various capacitys)with its braided hoses.

this added oil in the cooler and lines adds more total oil volume adding to cooling.

optional adjustable thermostat to only open intercooler loop when engine is getting to temp

saved a lot of crank failure on subarus and was a must for serious trackday users.

drawbacks..

only efficient whilst traveling at moderate speeds and above

more complications to potential oil leaks from cooler fittings and hosing.etc

btw fully synth oil main benefit is dispersing heat more efficiently

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You are correct Devon Aygo, the sump was not changed. I have run my Avensis for a couple of year now with a modified dipstick,

+10 mm, green dot on the top. Presently I do not use a drop of oil

• 6 years later...

Anyone fitter original toyota oil cooler yet, either for 7a fe engine or 2.0 vvti?

On 9/9/2013 at 11:28 AM, waqar_lionheart said:

Thanks Perdaneil. I really appreciate all the help. As it stands, i might roll with the Idea of a modified dipstcik and 10mm overfill(well I mean overfill with original dipstick). As my only question is that if oil cooler was the answer, toyota could have put one in and its a damn well less costly solution than replacing original with optifit. But as i said, I appreciate all the help.

Best Regards,

Waqar

I used to top up my 2003 T22 and do my current 08 T25 8mm above the full mark without any ill effects. I think that is about +0.5L.

Hi Sproutdreamer, thanks for your reply, Im doing this already, but would like to add oil cooler anyway as Im pulling engine and its just an added benefit plus peace if mind as Im using LPG in London most of the time with lots of idling time in traffic, summers are getting hotter.... will feel better with added oil cooler upgrade plus oil vapour catch tank, ect... if anyone has done this before for race application, it would be appreciated if u would share kindly? Cheers

Hi Marnitz, this is an old one and most have moved on to different cars. Also the ZZ engine ceased production,when the T25 was replaced over 10 years ago. Added the fact that the Avensis ZZ was updated in 2005, to cure the oil consumption issue. Not just owners have moved on, but the industry has move moved on too! Some of the sites with info at the time, no longer exist.  
What about sourcing a late model (2006-2008) engine? If the engine has low mileage, that would be a good fit. 
The oil cooler kit shown in a diagram from one of the earlier posts, fitted to the oil filter housing, and the oil filter fitted to that. Here is an example from eBay -   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Row-AN10-Trust-Oil-Cooler-Filter-Adaptor-Kit-For-Toyota-Suzuki-Subaru-Honda/152328763725?epid=28013383393&hash=item237780794d:g:z6wAAOSwiDFYNU6B

You would then need to fit the cooling radiator and the associated piping. The much older T22 7A-FE engine had an oil cooler, but the engine is different.  AVENSIS |  ENGINE OIL COOLER

Some other posts you might want to read - 

Hope this gives you some help.