Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Automatic Mirrors.

ziggy15

First bad weather day today since I got the car a couple of months ago, and had headlights and wipers on Automatic. Went to Cinema this morning and noticed when I got back into car that the wing mirrors had folded in, which they've never done on their own before. Just assumed I'd hit the button when getting out of the car, but couldn't be sure. Anyway then stopped at Pets at Home, and only noticed as we tried to enter dual carriageway from slip road that they'd done it again. Anyone any clues as to whether this is normal? If it is, will have to check more carefully each time. Sorry if it seems a stupid question, still getting used to lots of gadgets I never had before.

Eg. I also deliver stuff and occasionally leave the car running if it's in sight. Been wondering for ages if anyone stole the car, will it continue to drive for any distance if they don't have the key? It stays ticking over for 30 seconds or longer, but I know it won't start if the keys nowhere near as it, as I got my wife to try it. Ancient luddite needing answers. lol

My mirrors, iQ3, only fold when you press the button and you have to press that button again to unfold them. they have never done it themselves but I haven't tried driving with them folded to see if they automatically re-deploy.

Not sure what is going on there?

Craig.

I know I shouldn't but as I have a secure drive-way I sometimes start the car on very icy mornings and leave it to warm up to de-frost the screen etc.

I take the "key" into the house and the car can sit for 5-10 minutes warming up unattended, so it obviously doesn't mind not having the key nearby.

My mirrors behave like Craig's I'm afraid! IQ2, 2011

Thanks Folks, well mine haven't done it before either, so maybe I just touched the button. Wasn't sure either if anyone parking next to it was the cause as both times we had someone very close on one side. Can't see why, and it's not the first time it's been parked next to other cars. Not done it since, and now sat on the drive perfectly happily with wing mirrors as normal. Just a glitch I guess or myself.

My mirrors on my iQ3 behave correctly. Regarding the keys, in my GT86 the car would happily drive away when I'd left the keys on the hall table. I think it's the same system in the IQ. The GT86 also bleeps if you leave the keys inside the car and try and lock the doors. So the car's not thief proof until they switch the engine off.

It's probably one of the few things on my wife's iQ2 (apart from manual gearbox) that annoys us a bit. I think the mirrors should be automatic on startup and turn off - with a manual override when necessary. During the occasional time I borrow it, I often find myself having to open up the car up again and switch on the ignition because I've forgotten to close them in.

But back to the OP - no, our mirrors haven't shown any inclination to operate automatically.

2 things. First, after the car has started the ECU doesnt ask again so will happily drive til it runs out of fuel or you turn it off

Secondly. There is quite a few contacts that have to make contact to operate the mirrors then reverse them on retraction , i cant see that can happen without someone physically pressing the button I did design a mod to automatically retract the mirrors when the car is locked and open when the door is unlocked and opened. Requires a fare bit of wiring . And a lot of write up to show others

One little trick you can use is, when you have stopped the car and pressed the button and retracted the mirrors then turned the engine off. If you then press the button again, when you get in the car and start the engine, the mirrors automatically deploy

David

• Like 1

Thanks David, apols for short reply, still recovering from brilliant Leonard Cohen concert last night. lol

• Like 1

Wow David, this is a neat trick.

Started to do it today, it's fun... Starting the engine and they go automatically..

Soooo simple..sooo stupid I feel.. LOL...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Would be nice to have a smaller mirror or reflective surface on the end of each mirror assy so when closed rear sourced traffic could be seen when parking on the road

My mirrors on my iQ3 behave correctly. Regarding the keys, in my GT86 the car would happily drive away when I'd left the keys on the hall table. I think it's the same system in the IQ. The GT86 also bleeps if you leave the keys inside the car and try and lock the doors. So the car's not thief proof until they switch the engine off.

I have wondered what would happen if you drove off with the key outside the car. It would be better if the engine cut out upon changing out of P when the key is not inside the car.

If I remember correctly, if you take they key out of the car with the engine running an alarm sounds. I think this happened once when my partner was driving and we stopped so I could get out to post a letter and \i had the key in my pocket. I've never tried driving off without the key in the car though. I just might give that a go as I have plenty of off road space (i.e a field) to try it!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links