Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squeak From Rear When Towing

peterat8

Hi

Not been on the forums asking questions as all been ok with the Rav.

However, just recently, when towing our caravan (I know a shed puller!) we have been getting a squeak from the rear end. Have had the coupling and towball checked and all is ok there. The only thing left is the suspension that I can think of. It also made a noise yesterday evening as we went over a speed hump.

The noise is like a squeak/creak. It only happens on bumpy roads when the suspension travels. On motorways where it is smoothish, there is no noise at all.

Wondered if anyone else has had this problem and if anyone knows what to look at underneath.

A mate did say it could be that the suspension is dry.

Have searched for info but nothing came up for the Rav.

I must say what a great motor it is. Very pleased indeed with it.

Thanks for any help.

Peter

Are you using an anti-sway coupling that works by clamping the ball with pads. If so they are prone to squeak and creak especially at low speeds even though they are working fine. On my Alko hitch it sounds terrible sometimes but all is ok with the setup.

I think its caused by a small amount of contamination on the pads.

Hi there

Thanks for the replies.

Dave, always check the noseweight before we travel. At home use the bathroom scales and when on site use the Reich TLC gauge which when checked agrees with the scales. Usually run at about 75kg with the Rav able to take 80.

Ian, we have the Alko hitch (3004) and have cleaned the towball and dried it. That is smooth and have also checked the hitch pads, and they look clean. Had a noisy hitch on the previous caravan and car but this seems to be a different type of noise - that used to be an awful grinding noise whereas this is like a squeak which makes me think it is a suspension problem.

Regards

Peter

I get all sorts of squeaks, creaks and groans etc from my Alko hitch and I am very careful to keep ball and the pads clean. (I have even replaced the pads which only sorted the squeaks out for a while).

You might try relaxing the pressure on the pads and experimenting somewhere quiet with no trafffic and a road bump to see if this is the problem.

Alternatively clean the ball and pads with some very fine wet and dry and see if this removes the noise for a while. I suspect the my squeaks and creaks are caused by the glazed surfaced of the pads and oils etc picked up from the road.

Got offered a free health check from the dealer yesterday and they are going to check the rear suspension at the same time. Check not until 17 Sept, so will post any info after then.

Thanks for your input.

Peter

Cracked rear suspension spring, two ends of which are grinding together......?

That is one of my worries.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Happy to report that dealer found no problems with the rear suspension.

Was told that they have lubricated it.

Only problems they noticed was a slight 'misting' on the nsr and nsf shocker, front pads 80% worn and getting ready for 2 new front tyres (down to 3mm).

Knew about the tyres, but 33k on them is pretty good, and knew pads were getting ready for replacing (reported on at last service). Shockers beginning to go a worry (at 33k, especially as no off roading)

Thanks

Peter

Don't worry about the shocks, they can run like that for years. Get your tyres done and the instructions for changing the pads are pinned - dead easy.

Thanks for that Anchorman.

New tyres ordered from local tyre place, £108+vat, for the Geolanders.

Will get pads done asap as well.

Regards

Peter

Don't worry about the shocks, they can run like that for years. Get your tyres done and the instructions for changing the pads are pinned - dead easy.

Interesting... thanks.

Just had second service done on the RAV, and dealer reported mine were leaking...

Thought I had been doing the "off road" stuff too much...

If yours are leaking Liz, tell them to talk to the hand get the gubbers changed under warranty.

• Like 1

If yours are leaking Liz, tell them to talk to the hand get the gubbers changed under warranty.

Thanks Don...

I did wonder/hope they were covered under warranty..

When things have calmed down a bit for me, I'll go back to the dealers..