Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange Noise From 2013 Diesel Engine. Any Ideas?

Seanyboy45

I bought a new 2013 D4D Excel in March and have had no problems until recently, when carrying 5 people and full load of luggage. With the car heavily loaded the engine makes a strange 'tinkling' noise when accelerating from mid revs. Sounds like the classic 'pinking' you used to get in poorly tuned petrol engines of old. With one or two people on board I can't get the engine to repeat this noise, so am concerned that a dealer will never find it. Any thoughts folks?

Take it back to the dealer! You're under warranty and let them sort it! Check the engine oil level

Definitely injector rattle which intensifies under load and sounds very similar to pinking, they all do it to varying degrees but as my mate says if your very concerned take it back to the dealer and let them have a listen

• Like 1

engine under a lot of load, does it go when you drop a gear and use some more revs

Alex

Which diesel are you using - could try filling up with BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power before you next carry a similar load.

Thanks for the quick responses guys. First 10K service is due soon so i will definitely raise it with the dealer at that point. In the meantime ill try an alternative fuel.

• 10 months later...

Any more on this topic?, I have the same issue, It is completely reproducible (but not for the service dept!), in 2nd 3rd 4th 5th and 6th, between 1600 and 2000rpm, especially going uphill, anything over light throttle starts the noise. I even heard it in sixth gear on cruise control set to 80mph (in france). My dealer said "just thrash it a bit in a lower gear". It seems to do it with a lot of stuff on board or lightly loaded with just me. Not convinced this is a good thing, my old focus 2.0tdci would lug from a 1000 without protest.

Yes, sounds exactly the same as mine. I've still got the problem 12 months on and it's gradually getting worse. Dealer told me it was the way I was driving when I took it in for the first service last year. Due to go in for 20k service soon so will be leaving it with them this time until it's solved! Nice to know it's not just me.

Please post any useful stuff as you get it

thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All sorted now thanks to Devon Aygo's advice.

Top Tip, fixed yesterday, today, silence

thanks devon

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I drove my father inlaws 2013 D4D Avensis saloon, a few days ago, he wanted me to see how the engine noise compared to mine. It pinked away merrily under quite light acceleration, in 3rd and 4th; especially into a hill. I never had to load the engine in too high a gear, and cause it to lug to generate the pinking. In fact his car at all times felt way more lively to drive, than my 2010 Avensis TR. It breezed up fast hills with ease, but just pinked away.

I think secretly or not so secretly the pinking is driving him mad. He hasn't said so directly but is very interested in a new car.

He has been told by Toyota, that the noise is normal and is the result of the latest emissions tuning.

I would never have imagined it was a Vee belt issue, as mentioned in the above linked thread but will mention this to him.

Any comments, ideas or solution are appreciated.

Cheers

gorgey

if the "pinking" is around 1600 to 2000 rpm it fits the fix devon mentions. I know it sounds a bit odd that the belt causes it, but believe me it fixed it. It is disappointing that toyota service are so clueless about their own tech bulletins, my local dealer told me to change down and put my foot down as i was loading the engine too much, dont believe the bs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gorgey

if the "pinking" is around 1600 to 2000 rpm it fits the fix devon mentions. I know it sounds a bit odd that the belt causes it, but believe me it fixed it. It is disappointing that toyota service are so clueless about their own tech bulletins, my local dealer told me to change down and put my foot down as i was loading the engine too much, dont believe the bs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers pme,

Yes it would definitely be in the 1600 to 2000 rpm range. I typically change down at around 2000rpm so would be accelerating in this range. This rpm range is where diesels normally perform at their best, using the peak torque found in there.

Your dealer is telling you to drive like yours like a revy petrol car. When I rev out my D4D it sounds terrible once you cross 3000rpm. I found that surprising as my previous diesel had a good old Nissan 3.0Di engine that sounded sweet al the way up through 4000rpm, and did so without a any hint of black smoke.

I've spoken to my father inlaw, but he's very sceptical and seems to have taken the dealers line about it being an emissions tuning after effect, but he said he'll take the bulletin into them next service. I think that because it's a pinking sound he's convinced it's coming from within the cylinders.

Would I be right in saying pinking was caused by detonation of the petrol/air mixture before top dead centre? And that diesels simply don't pink because the diesel is not introduced until top dead centre?

Grogey

• 3 weeks later...

Grogey, my Verso was the same age and same engine. Symptoms were identical to your fathers and I was sceptical as it definitely sounded like pinking to me. Local Toyota dealer knew nothing about it until I presented the service bulletin to them. They then reluctantly accepted it and changed the belt. Miracle; noise disappeared straight away and I've done more than 20k pink-free miles since. Definitely get that belt changed to save you dad some unnecessary expense.

Sean

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I got my father in-law to ask about changing the belt. Suddenly the dealership new all about the issue. They changed the belt and the issue was resolved.

Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

Grogey

thanks for putting up the post, to many people never bother to reply with their resolution and you end up with loads of useless replies from total txxxxxxrs

rgds

pme

I'd forgotten all about this thread. After a year or so my Verso started exhibiting the same symptoms. When I took it in for a service last month I asked them to look into the noise and the belt was changed under warranty without a quibble. Got to give credit where it's due, never had any problems at all with warranty jobs (or anything else for that matter) with Stephen Eagell in Milton Keynes.