Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid Dashboard Camera

coolbloke1324

Hey everyone!

I have a Yaris Hybrid and want to install a Dashcam. I am concerned about Battery drain etc. Has anyone got one installed and anyone have any opinions on the best one to go for given I want 1080p and GPS built in?

Price is not a concern but quality and not draining the hybrid Battery are important. Does the hybrid have a separate 12v Battery from the main hybrid drive batteries that powers the internals?

If not then the cam will also reduce the overall mpg I can get from the car by draining the battery. Anyone with experience of the effect etc would love to hear from you!

• 2 years later...

I had a 62 plate Yaris HSD Tspirit. 

Yes they have a 12v Battery and a separate HV traction Battery

No a dash cam doesn't drain either since when there's no power they turn off after a few minutes.

Having a large Big Mac for lunch will cost you more MPG than a dash cam mate. 

Hope that helps..;)

I've got a Nextbase 402G, has all the features you want and was a Which best buy at the time. Looks like the 312GW is the alternative £99 from Halfords and Maplin!

23 hours ago, Ethanedwards said:

No a dash cam doesn't drain either since when there's no power they turn off after a few minutes.

That isn't strictly true. Usually they are wired to be powered from the ignition but can be wired to a circuit that is live all the time (deliberately or accidentally).

Some types are specifically designed to be wired permanently on, so they can capture incidents when the vehicle is unattended. Presumably they have a fairly low current draw in this state but over several days or weeks of the car not being run would present a risk, especially added to other car standby systems like alarms and remote locking.

The Nextbase 402G plugs into the power socket via a 12v to 5v power unit so when the ignition is off the power to the socket goes off so doesn't drain the Battery. I did have a Novus Blackvue which was powered from 12v so could be permanently left powered and had a parking mode which responded to G shock.

I think most dash cams are powered by mini/micro USB sockets, which means they usually come with the 12V lighter USB plug. I am using Mio MiVue 588 which is relatively compact, 1080p + GPS. There are newer models such as the 6XX series which give you >1080p resolution and rear cam. I bought the 588 was because of it's Sony camera component which gives good night time quality. I do not think charging a phone or connecting a car cam can drastically draw huge currents from your hybrid Battery.

On 19 April 2016 at 0:10 PM, Justhandguns said:

I do not think charging a phone or connecting a car cam can drastically draw huge currents from your hybrid battery.

They won't drain anything from the traction Battery when the car is off as they're always isolated and only ever powered up when the ignition is on and the relays have thrown.