Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oh Dear, The End Is Nigh.

IanIanIanIan

I understood that the government had guaranteed that the OLEV grant was good for the life of this government.

Perhaps not:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2411883/5k-electric-car-grants-scrapped-experts-incentive-did-little-help-environment.html

Is it me or does Norman Baker look like a pompous twerp?

I thought it had been in longer than 2 years :g:

Kingo :thumbsup:

I understood that the government had guaranteed that the OLEV grant was good for the life of this government.

Perhaps not:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2411883/5k-electric-car-grants-scrapped-experts-incentive-did-little-help-environment.html

Something doesn't add up. A BBC article was published 12 months before the Daily Mail article and yet they are both using the same figures?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19656590

If you look at the BBC article, it was claimed the take up was poor, yet between 2010 and 2011 there was approximately a 10 fold increase in the number of grants. The number of grants for new electric vehicles, assuming £5000 was the limit, that is roughly £5 million, therefore I guess the other £5 million subsidised the installation of charging stations i.e. benefits the installation business.

So from the Transport Select Committees report up until 2013, no one else got a grant?, or more likely the grants probably doubled, and the rest of the £30 million pot has been spent, or they want to restrict the grant just to business from now on because "we are all in it together"?

And note this is small beer compared to the amount given in Foreign aid http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23985449 possibly even to terrorists :bag:

All the grant did was to allow greedy manufacturers to add £5000 to the price of UK cars.

• Like 3

All the grant did was to allow greedy manufacturers to add £5000 to the price of UK cars.

W.H.S.

The grant is still going at the moment due to a small take up. It was supposed to finish in march of this year

Alex

Something doesn't add up. A BBC article was published 12 months before the Daily Mail article and yet they are both using the same figures?

Quite often 'new' articles in the mail are old articles copy+pasted from somewhere else (or even old articles from the Daily Mail).

W.H.S.

***PLEASE DO NOT USE ABBREVIATIONS WITHIN FORUM DISCUSSIONS AS IT IS NOT EASY FOR MEMBERS TO FOLLOW ***

Quite often 'new' articles in the mail are old articles copy+pasted from somewhere else (or even old articles from the Daily Mail).

I found it interesting to look up the original report "Plug-in vehicles, plugged in policy?", sadly some of what I read reminded me of Yes, Minster.

The Government response is also available. They started by updating the figures given to the committee, "As of 31 October 2012 2660 cars and 195 vans had applied for grants under the Plug-In Car and Plug-in Van grants.".

I found it interesting that Government claimed in one of their answers that they were "wholly committed" and it was not for the "short term" but another poster said the scheme was only supposed to run till March?

W.H.S.

I admit it. :unsure:

I still don't know what W.H.S. means. :blushing:

If it's not printable please PM instead. ;)

TTFN.

Even at my age, I still find Internet slang a bit of fun. If an abbreviation is unfamiliar it's easy enough to look it up at somewhere like

www.internetslang.com/‎ or indeed just Google it.

I've always seen it as part of becoming competent to use the net, but clearly others do not want the speed and facility of a shorthand notation.

Hey ho . . . . . :rolleyes:

To be fair I tried googling WHS as well, no idea what it meant! And I'm hardly a newbie lol. Learn something new every day ;-)

To get back somewhere near the original posting - I hope there are no governmental plans in the pipeline to withdraw the zero-rated RFL :spiteful: that we currently enjoy!

The government says it wants to encourage ULEVs ultra low emission vehicles)...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-drives-forward-plug-in-car-revolution

.. but we must remember that the government also needs money so if more people drive cars that qualify for low or zero vehicle exise duty then in the future we can expect the rules to change to keep the recenue flow so current zero rated may not qualify in the future.

I think the GOV.UK website is the best placed one to find answers............not the Daily Rag

https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/reducing-greenhouse-gases-and-other-emissions-from-transport/supporting-pages/ultra-low-emission-vehicles

Committed for the life of this Parliament seems to be the answer which was actually announced in the 2010 spending review

There is also a committment to reduce emissions up to 2050, so anything could happen in that time, and probably will

Kingo :thumbsup:

To get back somewhere near the original posting - I hope there are no governmental plans in the pipeline to withdraw the zero-rated RFL :spiteful: that we currently enjoy!

It's amazing how the tag RFL has hung on. I have a feeling it ended before WWII. It is now VED I believe.

The problem with the RFL tag is that it encourages people to continue to believe that their VED payment is still hypothecated to the cost of the roads, whereas it is really just another tax like any other and goes into the general treasury pot to pay for whatever the government decides.

Once that misunderstanding occurs, it encourages motorists to believe that they have more right to use the roads than others, such as cyclists and pedestrians. If there was a good understanding that the roads are paid for from general taxation; income tax, VAT, fuel duty, stamp duty, excise duty etc (and some of the VED income); then we might have less resentment about the use of the roads by those who do not pay VED.

I'll not hold my breath of course . . . . :rolleyes:

What He Said

Is that all? What a disappointment.

Thanks Rob for enlightening me.

What He Said

When I was first exposed to online discussion forums, we used to use AOL, which meant much that same thing, and if you search for it you'll probably be none the wiser. :g:

What He Said

When I was first exposed to online discussion forums, we used to use AOL, which meant much that same thing, and if you search for it you'll probably be none the wiser. :g:

I always thought AOL meant America On Line - Is it still around? It was once very popular.

In the days when I first used a teleprinter, about 1947, the common "me too" or "I agree" abbreviation was DITTO and that has very ancient roots, going right back to Latin. So this abbreviation lark has been around for some time.