Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Inside Trim And Rattle.

bokkie

We've had an annoying rattle in the back of the car which comes and goes. Despite several visits, test drives, failed inspections and what have you it's still a problem. We've removed everything from the back. It emanates somewhere behind the door pillar trims, possibly around the area of the rear Speakers but who knows? It's a pain getting the car to Mr. T each time and it's almost a waste of time. They've supposedly packed around the area but still it's a problem, mostly at higher speeds, 50+ but not all the time. They told us that because the problem occured while we had warranty it's still eligible for inspection and repair even though the warranty has now expired but I'm sure that can only last so long before they call it a day. We're happy it's not the seat belts and it could be one of those irritating noises you hear in one place but exist in another.

Now, what I'm thinking of doing is removing that hard plastic trim that covers the door pillars and the boot area but I can't find any obvious screws to remove. Is there a secret to taking the stuff off? I figured if I remove the trim for a while we might eventually find the source of the rattle and to be honest, I couldn't do any worse than what my local Mr. T has tried. To be fair, they can only spend so much time with the car and there's only so much time we can let them have it booked in. If anybody could let me know how to get the trim off I'd be happy to read about it. Perhaps there is an online schematic somewhere I can refer to?

Tks.

Have you checked the under rear seat storage are for anything rattling around under there, also the storage compartment at the very back behing the rear seat and also the tool storage area where the jack/pump & chocks are stowed. Might be worth removeing those and going for a test drive. As you say sound can travel and appear to come from a different place than it really is.

Has anyone sat in the back to try and locate whilst you drive?

As the above post, was everything removed,

under the very rear most long floor cover, and removed stuff from under the tray.

You say it is not the seat belts,

Were they just plugged into as if being worn,

or have you wrapped or taped in place the rear seat belt buckles to be sure that is not the source of the rattle.?

I would go for someone else driving the car and you sitting in the back.

(you will then have the seat belt fastened.)

If the dealership trying to find the rattle accepted that there was one, then that was for them to remove trim, not you.

The time already wasted by them could have been spent looking and removing the trim.

So lots of visits and time, & no resolved situation.

or just done the complete job first time even if that took 3 hours and they would have found it or not.

What did they pack around, was the trim removed already?

george

There are (apparently) flaps at the back of the IQ somewhere behind the panels, to allow control of recirculation of the air (apparently) and they can cause rattles at times.

I am a bit deaf but my wife hears the occasional rattle from the back and I find pressing the top button on the heater/air con panel which controls whether the air is fresh or re-circulated, for a little while, seems to stop it.

May not be your problem, but worth a try!

John

• Like 1

Have you checked the under rear seat storage are for anything rattling around under there, also the storage compartment at the very back behing the rear seat and also the tool storage area where the jack/pump & chocks are stowed. Might be worth removeing those and going for a test drive. As you say sound can travel and appear to come from a different place than it really is.

We've removed everything in the back and under the seats. It definitely sounds like it's behind the trim. We've had maybe three blokes from Mr. T's dealership sit in the back. Sod's Law, on two of the three no rattle/buzz could be heard. They even took the silly spoiler off fhe back window to eliminate that from the equation.

As the above post, was everything removed,

under the very rear most long floor cover, and removed stuff from under the tray.

You say it is not the seat belts,

Were they just plugged into as if being worn,

or have you wrapped or taped in place the rear seat belt buckles to be sure that is not the source of the rattle.?

I would go for someone else driving the car and you sitting in the back.

(you will then have the seat belt fastened.)

If the dealership trying to find the rattle accepted that there was one, then that was for them to remove trim, not you.

The time already wasted by them could have been spent looking and removing the trim.

So lots of visits and time, & no resolved situation.

or just done the complete job first time even if that took 3 hours and they would have found it or not.

What did they pack around, was the trim removed already?

george

George, they've also checked the belts and removed the entire contents back and under. They say they put some padding behind the trim but I don't know what they might have used or if, indeed, they used anything. If I can remove the plastic trim I can leave it out for a while in the hope I might be able to narrow it down. It's not the trim itself because we've tried pushing on it and they've tried that as well. Same for the rear Speakers, back seats up as well as down. Seat belts plugged in, held in, engaged in those little slots in the trim for the clip. In short, just about everything that can come out has been out.

They even took the silly spoiler off fhe back window to eliminate that from the equation.

Well, now I am upset ;)

Have you tried the recirculation button trick?

Always works for me.

This is not meant to be sarcastic but a genuine suggestion to help. Turn up the music This isn't necessarily to drown out the rattle but unfortunately once you have heard the rattle it cannot be unheard. You are always listening out for it, either consciously or unconsciously. The radio or CD would distract you somewhat. I also find if something is rattling and I know what it is then it doesn't bother me. My iQ is remarkably rattle free but if I drive in silence I can always here "something" I don't notice on a day to day basis.

They even took the silly spoiler off fhe back window to eliminate that from the equation.

Well, now I am upset ;)

Oops, sorry! You have one fitted on yours?

Have you tried the recirculation button trick?

Always works for me.

I will ask Mrs. Wife to try it as the car is driven by her 99% time.

This is not meant to be sarcastic but a genuine suggestion to help. Turn up the music This isn't necessarily to drown out the rattle but unfortunately once you have heard the rattle it cannot be unheard. You are always listening out for it, either consciously or unconsciously. The radio or CD would distract you somewhat. I also find if something is rattling and I know what it is then it doesn't bother me. My iQ is remarkably rattle free but if I drive in silence I can always here "something" I don't notice on a day to day basis.

I know what you mean and she likes the CD on rather too loud for my old lugs while I prefer Radio 4, which sums up the age group we belong to. Funny thing is, last week we heard some horrible noises which we couldn't place. It sounded like a strange buzzing which changed as we drove along. Eventually, we realised the car was ok and that particular noise was the result of having the radio on MW and the only thing playing through the Speakers was the sound of poor reception. Mrs. Wife really thought we had an engine problem to contend with as well.

Mostly it's caused by a the flap in the rear.... this is to make sure the air flow to travel in one way... out of the car...

Sometimes when driving... the wind / and the trimming of the car....and the drag .... this can start a flapping/rattling/strange/alarming noise..

If you would take the rear plastic (this whole thing under your rear window) off, you would see it there (could be left and right) ...

DSC05495.jpg

DSC05501.jpg

• Like 1

Well, now I am upset ;)

LOL yes, and I paid extra to have one fitted :dontgetit: No worries all taken in jest, we don't all have the same taste :)

Well, now I am upset ;)

LOL yes, and I paid extra to have one fitted :dontgetit: No worries all taken in jest, we don't all have the same taste :)

Ours was fitted by the dealer for himself when he had the car. Because the iQ was quite new to the marker then (2009) he had it blinged with the spoiler, upgraded wheels, leather seats, and he had the satnav option fitted as well. My wife never liked the spoiler and I tried to convince her if nothing else it would help to keep snow off the rear window! the spolier is now in the loft.

Did the tailgate not need respraying after they removed the spoiler?

I only ask as the fitting is by means of two bolts which require the top being drilled and anchor nuts being fitted into the holes as well as the spoiler being glued on with a bonding agent.

So did it come off without leaving any damage? Just curios now.

Yep... Soely,

It was 2 screws... I think torx...

And some little screws on the inner-side of the wheel-case.

The whole thing then can be pulled backwards... some wires stay in place (lights) but can also be disconnected easily.

NO respraying....and all went very easily.

Sorry no photo's of this...our Dutch member RDW did this and I did not pay much attention. But I was really surprized (and told him so) how easily that went off...

I will see if I have a diagram of this...

Here it's almost off..

DSC05506.jpg

Yep... Soely,

It was 2 screws... I think torx...

And some little screws on the inner-side of the wheel-case.

The whole thing then can be pulled backwards... some wires stay in place (lights) but can also be disconnected easily.

NO respraying....and all went very easily.

Sorry no photo's of this...our Dutch member RDW did this and I did not pay much attention. But I was really surprized (and told him so) how easily that went off...

I will see if I have a diagram of this...

Here it's almost off..

DSC05506.jpg

Sorry Peter, I was referring to Bokkies post above mine where he said he has had the roof spoiler removed and it now resides in his loft ;)

Here some...hopefully....explaning drawings:

Rear-iQ-4-_zps1383725c.png

Rear-iQ-2-_zps0d9bc3d5.png

Rear-iQ-1-_zps31b73261.png

Rear-iQ-3-_zps014535f8.png

and this one....

Here some more... could not make it smaller nor simpler...

iq-rear-6-_zps16572699.png

iq-rear-1-_zpsea461f15.png

iq-rear-2-_zps5712e351.png

iq-rear-3-_zpsd2f06da9.png

Rear-iQ-1-_zps31b73261.png

Rear-iQ-2-_zps0d9bc3d5.png

Thank you for the technical drawings. I spoke to my local Mr. T and they tell me to book the car in and have a technician come with me in the hope he'll be able to hear it again. It can wait for a couple of weeks as vacation is imminent.

OK... sorry.... that was a bit redundant ... lol .... :-/

• 3 years later...

I've had my iQ2 since October '16 and constant rattling coming from the rear of the car was starting to bug me, I narrowed it down to the boot area, while driving along, reach round and just push on the tailgate - if this stops the rattling firstly check all the trim clips are in place. Then try adjusting the boot catch (3 silver bolts on the edge of the boot that latches it closed) only need to move it about 1-2mm towards the outside of the boot (up) and see if this helps.

1 hour ago, bbrowne_iQ said:

I've had my iQ2 since October '16 and constant rattling coming from the rear of the car was starting to bug me, I narrowed it down to the boot area, while driving along, reach round and just push on the tailgate - if this stops the rattling firstly check all the trim clips are in place. Then try adjusting the boot catch (3 silver bolts on the edge of the boot that latches it closed) only need to move it about 1-2mm towards the outside of the boot (up) and see if this helps.

Wifey's car is coming up to six and a bit years ownership. We last took her iQ3 in for a formal inspection about a year ago, maybe more. Mr. T apparently removed all the rear trim panels and padded the internal spaces with something or the other; it could have been a proper inlay of some official kind or equally some scrunched-up newspapers, what have you. This time around and it was perhaps our sixth visit or so having the problem looked at, it seems to be much quieter. Leastways, Mrs. Wifey hasn't complained about it or perhaps she doesn't "hear" it anymore. Interestingly, when I had the car serviced a couple of months ago, I mentioned about the noise and the lass who checked the car in told me that as the issue hasn't been formally closed on file we can continue to get it looked at without charge which is quite decent of them.

Mrs. W loves her iQ3 and laments that Mr. T don't seem to make them anymore as she'd happily trade hers in for a newer one, this time, without the leather seats as she finds them too hot and sticky in summer and too cold in winter. Because of the seat airbags you can't put covers over them for obvious reasons. She'd have liked the CV gearbox as she finds six gears a bit too much work to shift up and down in traffic. Throw in a rattling rear-end for free (the car's, not hers) and she'd be a very happy bunny.

Thanks for the advice about the lock. I know Mr. T hasn't tried that so I'll mention it to them if we go in for it again.

4 hours ago, bokkie said:

Because of the seat airbags you can't put covers over them for obvious reasons.

you can get side seat airbag compatible seat covers.