Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 Suspension Recall In Usa - Again

catseye27

Just read that Toyota are recalling 2006 - 2011 RAV4 models in the USA for rear suspension defect, nuts may not have been tightened correctly during service which could lead to rusting. Dealers are now asked to replace suspension arms if any rust is present.

I am sure this was the same problem on my vehicle which under went a recall end of last year.

Copied from BBC News:

"Toyota is recalling 780,584 vehicles in the US for a second time to address a suspension defect that may not have been fixed after a recall last year.
The rear suspension arm in affected vehicles may rust, leading to eventual failure, if nuts are not tightened properly during service.
The US safety watchdog said this could "cause a loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash".
The models affected are the RAV4 sport utility vehicle and the Lexus HS 250h. The RAV4 models covered by the recall were manufactured between 2006 and 2011, and the Lexus vehicles affected are the ones made between October 2005 and September 2010.

Inadequate inspections
Toyota first recalled the vehicles in August last year to carry out repairs on the affected parts.
However in a letter sent to dealers, which was posted on the safety agency's website, Toyota said that it had received reports "indicating that some vehicles experienced symptoms of the recalled condition after being inspected or repaired".
"Upon investigation, it was discovered that some inspections were not adequate and portions of the repair procedure may not have been performed correctly," it added.
As part of the new inspection it has asked its dealers to replace suspension arms if any rust is found on them.
"After the inspection or replacement, the rear suspension alignment will be set and the arms will be sealed with an epoxy," it said.
The carmaker said it would then apply labels on the arms to indicate that they are no longer adjustable
"

I went under my 2010 model and checked them myself - they were tight.

Never bothered with this one as it hasn't been touched from new. I guess what they are saying now is that they should be renewed if the arm wants adjusting, set up and then sealed for life.

So this sounds like it was the franchise dealers fault rather than Toyota this time as it was the inspection that was at fault so they have stepped in with a supposedly foolproof plan?

Alex