Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Roller Shutter Doors ?

CharlieFarlie

Anyone have one ? I'm thinking of adding one to my garage.. The garage is used as a workshop and is integral to the house. At the moment we have a typical up and over door but this acts as a heat sink with high temperatures in summer and very cold in winter ( This will be the first winter in this house so supposing it will be just the same as our last house) These roller doors seem better for security least that's the sales pitch and are insulated..

I would be going for an electric version.

Anyone have one ? Would like some opinions if possible before purchasing one .

Thanks ....

I have one, great doors..make sure its powder coated, and heave duty material, as the wind noise rattle it.

make sure you can disengage it from the electric motor.and get at least 3 fobs for remote control,as they can be expensive.

• Like 1

Anyone have one ? I'm thinking of adding one to my garage.. The garage is used as a workshop and is integral to the house. At the moment we have a typical up and over door but this acts as a heat sink with high temperatures in summer and very cold in winter ( This will be the first winter in this house so supposing it will be just the same as our last house) These roller doors seem better for security least that's the sales pitch and are insulated..I would be going for an electric version.Anyone have one ? Would like some opinions if possible before purchasing one .Thanks ....

Have just been recently fitting top and bottom draught excluders to my standard garage goor, Charlie.........50GBP and some left over for strategic placement doon the open side parts. Some polystyrene or polyethylene foam slabs glued to door interior may cost ye another 20GBP......howzat compare wiff a nuppanover shutter door price......? Draught excluder ex Garage Door Man on eBay......rodent proof also too forbye.

Kev thought if insulating the existing door but to be honest it's past it's best now and though still serviceable it's not the last word in security... I have the gun cabinet bolted to the garage wall and the door is the weakest link so part of the plan is to fit a heavy duty job to help beef up the security.. We are a wee bit out in the sticks here and I can't help thinking its not as secure as in say an estate where more or nosey neighbours would be an advantage ???

• Like 1

Makes sense, Charlie......last thing we need is ARMED English people oot there.......

Hi Chap,

I live on Dartmoor :clap:

It rains a lot on Dartmoor :disgust:

We have lecky roller shutter doors on the garage doors :toast:

I press a button on the fob carried in the car :hokus-pokus:

The doors go up :scooter:

I drive in and get out dry :D

Luxury :toot:

Worth every penny

I then get soaked to the skin legging it the 50 foot from the garage to the house :eek:

.Wouldn't go back to manual up and over. If the ones you are eyeing up are insulated that is a big plus. Beware of watertight Scotsmen peddling highly inflammable placky solutions. :spiteful:

Anyone have one ? I'm thinking of adding one to my garage.. The garage is used as a workshop and is integral to the house. At the moment we have a typical up and over door but this acts as a heat sink with high temperatures in summer and very cold in winter ( This will be the first winter in this house so supposing it will be just the same as our last house) These roller doors seem better for security least that's the sales pitch and are insulated..

I would be going for an electric version.

Anyone have one ? Would like some opinions if possible before purchasing one .

Thanks ....

• Like 1

Mine is a fibre glass up and over. It originally looked like medium oak but has now faded to a sandy caramel colour! It is a nice material and shuts with a thud rather than a clatter. It also has several points of locking which is quite nice. I think it can be motorised but I have never botherd. The door gear is quite nice and it just glides over very easily.

Not got any guns in the garage but I have several guard spiders on a leash that will just reach the door. They bite.

I have an electric remote control roller shutter door on my garage fitted 4 years ago

They are a terrific idea and seem to be virtually maintenance free except from keeping the guide channels free of dust and webs!

I can access my garage through a side wicket door so specified a manual internal winder for when I need to get my car out in a power cut situation..........Only used it twice but worth including in the spec.

I have an electric remote control roller shutter door on my garage fitted 4 years ago

They are a terrific idea and seem to be virtually maintenance free except from keeping the guide channels free of dust and webs!

I can access my garage through a side wicket door so specified a manual internal winder for when I need to get my car out in a power cut situation..........Only used it twice but worth including in the spec.

As above ... wonderful things, very convenient - particularly from the point of view of closing the garage doors when you're going out. And I hardly ever "leave the car out because I'm going out again later" - it's just so easy to put it away and get it out again.

Power-cuts are an inconvenience as Red says. Mine have a winding handle to raise them manually - slowly and with rather more effort than one might expect. The manual opening mechanism is on the inside so it is essential that you have a second means of access to the garage (that doesn't rely on electricity).

I've had mine in eight or nine years now with one failure after around seven years - with electronics and electro-mechanical systems something's bound to go wrong sooner or later. Serviced and sorted by the original supplier at a price - not cheap though.

Mine is a fibre glass up and over. It originally looked like medium oak but has now faded to a sandy caramel colour! It is a nice material and shuts with a thud rather than a clatter. It also has several points of locking which is quite nice. I think it can be motorised but I have never botherd. The door gear is quite nice and it just glides over very easily.

Not got any guns in the garage but I have several guard spiders on a leash that will just reach the door. They bite.

This may make you smile but I am absolutely TERRIFIED of spiders !! The worst part of living where we do now is the size of the blooming things ! Our log store is heaving with great big !Removed! spiders and I have to wear gloves to go anywhere near it !

You wuss :fear: :fear:

All of our sites have Crawford doors, very good quality but blinkin expensive tho :yes:

Kingo :thumbsup:

What Red Yaris and others said. Lovely things.

I installed our two myself, but they aren't heavy duty - aluminium sections filled with foam.. The manual winders for them can be inside or out, but out obviously has a security implication.

Motorised up and overs are cheaper but something of a kludge and can be prone to maloperation.

What Red Yaris and others said. Lovely things.

I installed our two myself, but they aren't heavy duty - aluminium sections filled with foam.. The manual winders for them can be inside or out, but out obviously has a security implication.

Motorised up and overs are cheaper but something of a kludge and can be prone to maloperation.

I would be looking at a heavy duty door with a manual back up in case of a power failure or a breakdown of the mechanism..

I have a up and over type door and thought about fitting a motorised version but i was told it would reduce the width of the door opening.As it is i have to fold back the drivers door mirror to give a bit more room to get in and out with my Auris past the door opening.

The 1991 Passat i had for 15 years you could not fold the mirrors back and wing mirror tip to tip was narrower than my Auris is.

Not sure if roller door fitting is inside the brick work or the wood battens fitted to the brickwork.

There is a firm just a couple of miles from me advertising auto doors for about £660 fitted,dont know how this compares to others firms prices though.

the 2 mondeos i had were both electric folding,which was very handy.

I have a up and over type door and thought about fitting a motorised version but i was told it would reduce the width of the door opening.As it is i have to fold back the drivers door mirror to give a bit more room to get in and out with my Auris past the door opening.

The 1991 Passat i had for 15 years you could not fold the mirrors back and wing mirror tip to tip was narrower than my Auris is.

Not sure if roller door fitting is inside the brick work or the wood battens fitted to the brickwork.

There is a firm just a couple of miles from me advertising auto doors for about £660 fitted,dont know how this compares to others firms prices though.

the 2 mondeos i had were both electric folding,which was very handy.

The mechanism for the doors can be mounted inside the reveals (Opening) or on the rear.. So in my case I would gain 6 inches in total by mounting on the rear as my existing frame posts are 3 inches each side..

Heavy duty is just another way of saying "quality".. There are in the door world like just about anything many quality's of material and the way its put together..

Having looked and asked around it seems that Roller shutters are better than the sectional type as the door is up out if sight when open and no brackets and stuff to belt your head on which matters when you are 6.4...

UPVC is the chosen material for the slatted sections filled with high density insulation. UPVC means no degradation of the coating like say powder coating on an ally section door. Plus they are quiet in operation and don't rattle in the wind . Cost of course goes up but I plan on doing this job once and properly..

Thanks for the replies !!

My ally ones can be a bit noisy when starting to open (But only noticeably on sunny days (they are south facing) for some reason. Very odd.) But I've never noticed any noise in the wind - the motor is adjusted so it drives them to take almost all the slack out.

Although ally they are foam filled.

I took the original wooden side posts out completely (some were beginning to rot at the bottom anyway) and fitted the aluminium tracks more or less directly to the brickwork. (Edit. There is no reveal, the garage walls are the side of the adjacent buildings in three cases and the fourth is a wooden pillar.) More or less because the brickwork wasn't absolutely vertical or straight so a variety of wooden shims, and in one case a looong thin wedge, were needed to get the tracks absolutely vertical. The shims are mostly covered by the sealant, but the thick end of the wedge (about 1/2") does show (I think - not looked lately).

I see Costco sell these now, saw them in our local one - and they install it, thought of this post when I saw them last night :)

Gus

Thanks Gus.. As it happens I'm onto Costco tomorrow so will have a look !

I have contacted 2 so called pro installation company's both have failed to give a price for the supply and fix..

Costco are a very very professional company and the back up from them is incredible.. I bought a large roller cabinet and top box for the garage and on unpacking found a dent.. The delivered a new one and collected the damaged one and dropped me a £25 voucher through the post....

Mike the aluminium will heat up and expand and in turn could slow the mechanism a wee bit. this is very likely the noise but the door will have been engineered to compensate for this...