Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Breather Leaking Oil

mastereagle

hi there,

i recently had my turbo reconditioned due to a broken turbine. done all that, 3k miles later car smokes up until 3rd gear.

i took it to the garage where the turbo was fitted and explained what has happened, they advised to change oil and filter which i did and run for about 2 weeks which i also did. still smoking, so took it back.

now i just come back from garage and they did a few tests and said that there is a slight drip of oil coming of turbo and from the engine breather. they said that the oil that comes off the turbo is because of some sort of pressure in the engine hence the oil coming off the breather and goes back into the turbo.

Now i don't know what to do really, the car has 54k 08 reg and regularly serviced.

any advice or input is welcomed.

many thanks

Hi
Sorry for being stupid but can you explain a bit better please like in plain English. ..
Many thanks

Hi Mastereagle,

Each engine now (well nearly all of them) has a pcv valve (which is essentially a ball which lifts up when engine gases create too much pressure in the block) which allows it to breathe. If this ball i stuck engine must relieve pressure somewhere that causes seals to go. these gases also include oil vapour and stuff and thats what generally causes these to get stuck open or closed. If stuck open it can suck engine oil. The gases that escape through this valve go back into the engine via (mine has two) throttle body or air intake manifold to reburn. If its stuck open it ll take the oil with it into the exhaust chamber and causes oil burn. This produces smoke and you can loose oil at an alarming rate. Also fouls the plugs and creates carbon buildup and gunck in your combustion chamber.

GOOD THING IS, these are peanuts to buy and a doddle to fix. This is just an elbow fixed to the top of the engine generally and its screwed into the block.

Regards,

Waqar

p.s: google images of pcv valve. This is connected back to the engine block via pcv hose pipe. if that doesnt work look for breather valve.

• Like 1

Hi Mastereagle,

Each engine now (well nearly all of them) has a pcv valve (which is essentially a ball which lifts up when engine gases create too much pressure in the block) which allows it to breathe. If this ball i stuck engine must relieve pressure somewhere that causes seals to go. these gases also include oil vapour and stuff and thats what generally causes these to get stuck open or closed. If stuck open it can suck engine oil. The gases that escape through this valve go back into the engine via (mine has two) throttle body or air intake manifold to reburn. If its stuck open it ll take the oil with it into the exhaust chamber and causes oil burn. This produces smoke and you can loose oil at an alarming rate. Also fouls the plugs and creates carbon buildup and gunck in your combustion chamber.

GOOD THING IS, these are peanuts to buy and a doddle to fix. This is just an elbow fixed to the top of the engine generally and its screwed into the block.

Regards,

Waqar

p.s: google images of pcv valve. This is connected back to the engine block via pcv hose pipe. if that doesnt work look for breather valve.

WOW

thanks wagar for taking time to give this very good explanation.

now since yesterday i tried looking for pcv pics and videos online for my avensis. i was not very lucky and re the breather valve i think it could be a big job as is built in the head block ( i think ). i will try look for this pcv.

but anyway again thank you for this info

regards

mastereagle

I liked Waqar's answer which is good for petrol engines. In diesel engines, if the oil get sucked into the cylinders, I think it may cause a condition where the engine can rev to destruction. it wont turn off!

I am not sure how, diesel crankcase pressure valve system runs but hopefully oil is not drawn into the combustion chamber.

Since the turbo has been changed, I think that the original cause for the turbo failure may have not been checked and fixed. I could and hope to be wrong but if it is not dealt with, the second turbo may get damaged too!

As I said, I hope I am wrong and it just a quick fix like Waqar says.

Konrad

Hi Mastereagle,

Dont think these are screwed into head block. cannot be as these are mainly put on the top of engine called a cam cover, rocker cover etc to catch the gases (hot air goes up) that come up. BUT NOT THE HEAD BLOCK. and these are not difficult, I am 100% certain if you buy the part and get any garage to take it out for you, it ll be like £15 labour max. Its a 10mins job not more. Dont sweat it. Its cheap enough.

Regards,
Waqar

I liked Waqar's answer which is good for petrol engines. In diesel engines, if the oil get sucked into the cylinders, I think it may cause a condition where the engine can rev to destruction. it wont turn off!

I am not sure how, diesel crankcase pressure valve system runs but hopefully oil is not drawn into the combustion chamber.

Since the turbo has been changed, I think that the original cause for the turbo failure may have not been checked and fixed. I could and hope to be wrong but if it is not dealt with, the second turbo may get damaged too!

As I said, I hope I am wrong and it just a quick fix like Waqar says.

Konrad

hi konrad

thx for your input but the reason the turbo had to be replaced was due to air pipe came lose and sucked in the membrane around the pipe, so the turbines bent and cracked.

so i dont really if there were another cause for the pipe to came lose on the first place...

regards

Hi Mastereagle,

Dont think these are screwed into head block. cannot be as these are mainly put on the top of engine called a cam cover, rocker cover etc to catch the gases (hot air goes up) that come up. BUT NOT THE HEAD BLOCK. and these are not difficult, I am 100% certain if you buy the part and get any garage to take it out for you, it ll be like £15 labour max. Its a 10mins job not more. Dont sweat it. Its cheap enough.

Regards,

Waqar

thx wagar

will find out

regards

My bad extremely sorry hadnt realised it wasnt a petrol engine.

Regards,
Waqar

• 4 months later...

hi there,

i recently had my turbo reconditioned due to a broken turbine. done all that, 3k miles later car smokes up until 3rd gear.

i took it to the garage where the turbo was fitted and explained what has happened, they advised to change oil and filter which i did and run for about 2 weeks which i also did. still smoking, so took it back.

now i just come back from garage and they did a few tests and said that there is a slight drip of oil coming of turbo and from the engine breather. they said that the oil that comes off the turbo is because of some sort of pressure in the engine hence the oil coming off the breather and goes back into the turbo.

Now i don't know what to do really, the car has 54k 08 reg and regularly serviced.

many thanks

Hi mastereagle,

got exact the same problem after repalcing my turbo. Any luck sorting it out? as I looked at my car PCV valve is hidden under metal cover..

hi there,

many thanks

Hi mastereagle,

got exact the same problem after repalcing my turbo. Any luck sorting it out? as I looked at my car PCV valve is hidden under metal cover..

hi aurellijus

well with my situation i just did about 5k miles and i changed the oil and filter 3 times.

what i did, was, i used cheaper oil for the first 2 changes and the last oil change, (about 1.5 miles between changes ) i used magnatec ( which is what i normally use)

and all of a sudden, smoke disappeared.

so i am assuming that it was the oil changes that worked for me. i also took the egr valve and gave it a very good clean, i used toothbrush and brake cleaner.

i was also told that with the new turbo, there are new bit of metal and that could be a cause for smoking. but thats just someone assuming.

anyway, this is what i did and my car is running fine at the mo, (touch wood lol )

hope this helps and good luck

drop me a message later on just to see if any of this helped.

regards