Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Check Engine Light

aries9

I have a '99 Yaris 1.0, before 6 months the Check engine light came on

when i took it do the dealer for a check he told me it was a problem with a sensor.

I dont know what they did but after that and for about 4 months the CEL was off(he didnt changed enything though)..until it came on again .I found a way to to turn that damn light off by unpluging and pluging back the EFI fuse but after that the engine has no power at low revs until some driving time passes so everthing gets back to normal.................and above all the damn CEL lights back on after some miles can anyone help??????????????

Hi

Check with your dealer what code they recorded. If it's to do with the airflow meter then you need to do this:

Inside the airbox, silicon off a printed circuit board within the air flow meter drops off and clogs up the sensor.

To check, undo 2 phillips screws on top of airbox, remove airflow meter & with a torch look at the 2 small wires inside. If they are dirty, then you'll need a new air flow meter.

WARNING !!! Do not try to clean wires as they will break.

The air flow meter is approx £70 if required.

If the EFI fuse is removed, the ECU is reset causing it to re-adapt the VVTi to your driving style, hence poor running.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

So why did my air flow meter cost £136 fitted then? :censor: I would imagine it would only take 2 seconds to fit???

Cheers :thumbsup:

is it not possible to clean the airflow meter then?

anyone got pics of the airflow meter, ive not idea what or where it is!

I'd love to know how long the ECU takes to adapt to stuff.. like driving style, petrol octane etc...

Can you shed any light on this?

unplug it and plug it back in then it resets.....

then 'learns' how you drive from scratch and makes alsorts of nips and tweeks all over the engine

well.. mine took about 7 kms of driving till the engine got back the previous performance.....i will look for that air flow sensor and post and i hope it has nothing to do with a O2 sensors i ve seen in other posts

• 4 weeks later...
unplug it and plug it back in then it resets.....

then 'learns' how you drive from scratch and makes alsorts of nips and tweeks all over the engine

do our engines do this? never knew that :eek:

is that The "I" bit on VVt-I? stands for Intellegance?

Learn Something New Every Day :P

Bit of novice at engine stuff

My mother owned my SR before me, she had it from new (march 2000) until she gave it to me in April 2004.

She drives a bit slow and cautious.

I drive a bit............like any other 22 year student i would imagine.

Being a novice, would pulling the fuse and resetting the lot give me any better ride. Or would it have "adapted" to its new driving style now.

Sorry if its a silly Q - i know nothing :thumbsup:

:hokus-pokus:

The MAF sensor can be cleaned.

Give it a try before you go out and buy a new one for $$$.

Here's a guide from our friendly neighbours: Cleaning MAF sensor

Apply the knowledge.

:thumbsup:

So i could get another induction kit then?

Hmmmmmm

• 3 weeks later...

I did what TS Flea said the car runs much better now now signs of Check Engine yet hope this is it!!

• 15 years later...

Hi have 2004 Toyota Yaris auto 1.3 Just about got home yesterday engine missing my husband checked plugs and got some dust out of air filter started car and was back to normal went out a few hours later now engine light is on( car had major service last year and interim service this Jan has full service history) car has always run well

any suggestions as to why the engine light has now come on would be very grateful

Thanks

M

You can guess - or you can hook up a diagnostic scanner to the OBD port and it will give you the info to narrow the problem down.

It's not always 100% accurate, but it's usually cheaper that way than guessing and working by trail and error.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links