Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Smoke Returns..... Help!

BigMo82

Ok the smoke from my exhaust has returned and its worse then before. Started the car this morning and it was 11C so not exactly very cold. I dont get any smoke for the first minute or so, then its starts slowly and then starts pouring out. This morning the car also took about 20 minutes (around 5 miles) of driving before the temperature needle got to the normal position (just below half). Usually once the car is upto temp the smoke gets a little better. The heater inside the car starts working within a few minutes. I think the smoke may be due to overfueling and this would explain why the cataytic converter may have got damaged. I can only imagine what its going to be like as the weather starts getting colder.

As always any input is always appreciated.

Mo

trim.w7Dmr2.MOV

alright BigMo,

Thinking that its not steam from exhaust but smoke, I would definitely check my spark plugs. if plugs are balck, running rich, if white running lean, both conditions may produce smoke but rich more so than lean. If brown you are adequate. If no fault codes, i wouldnt worry as cat efficiency is measured using o2 sensors so if nothing then you are ok. Check fluid levels, and check spark plugs.

Regards,

Waqar

• Like 1

Waqar, thanks for the reply. The thermostat looks like a mission to get to on this model. I took the sparks out and have posted a photo below.

They are about 4000 miles old.

Mo

post-129758-0-53880700-1379177519_thumb.

The thermostat might be stuck in the open position,i'd be inclined to change that to start with.and the plugs look to me to be a little on the rich running side and the gaps look a tad too wide ,so check the gaps dont know what there supposed to be though some one will be along shortly to clarify

Thanks for the reply, I agree I also thought the plugs looked like the engines running a little rich. I was told the gaps should not be adjusted on Iridium plugs but I could be wrong. Thermostat is a cheap part but not sure how to change it or what a mechanic would expect to charge?

Mo

Hi Big Mo,

The Iridium plugs have preset gaps, so should not need adjustment.

I agree with the other comments and the car is running a little rich. Also the cooler weather is now showing vapours coming out of the exhaust. I noticed it this afternoon during my car warmup. Your fuel consumption must be a little high/

Konrad

Hi Konrad,

Thanks for the reply. Fuel consumption is probably averaging around 24/25 MPG for local stop and start driving. I know if I fill up and hit the motorway it moves up to over 35 MPG.

Mo

If i were u mo i would try figgure out why the engine is running rich and find out what gap the plugs should be and set them. also clean the plugs up a bit so u have a baseline

• Like 1

Hey Coop how are you? Thanks for the reply mate. That's the million dollar question as to what's causing it to run rich. I tried disconnecting the Maf but that only made things worse. And how could I clean the spark plugs? Electric contact cleaner spray?

Mo

well in the past all i have done is give em a good spray of wd40 and given them a go with a wire brush wheel. however i was lucky to have one of those bench mounted griders/wire brush deals.

• 2 months later...

Hi Mo.

Now it is getting colder, how is the smoke from the exhaust?

I thought about you because only on startup do I see anything coming ot my exhaust or stationary in traffic, in the following cars headlights.

Keep the car shiny.

Konrad