Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Question

ALake

I'm sure this has been well discussed but I can't find a definitive answer, so I'll just ask for your opinions!

With the RAV4 being a 2wd most of the time, and 4wd only when required, is it necessary to change all 4 tyres at once? My fronts seem to be more worn than the rears (natural if its 2wd most of the time) so is it ok to replace the front pair with a different tyre make to those on the rear?

I can probably get the front pair replaced with the same tyre as the rear as they are still available, but sometimes there are better deals on other brands.

I'm sure this has been well discussed but I can't find a definitive answer, so I'll just ask for your opinions!

With the RAV4 being a 2wd most of the time, and 4wd only when required, is it necessary to change all 4 tyres at once? My fronts seem to be more worn than the rears (natural if its 2wd most of the time) so is it ok to replace the front pair with a different tyre make to those on the rear?

I can probably get the front pair replaced with the same tyre as the rear as they are still available, but sometimes there are better deals on other brands.

It is not mainly the manufacturer and/or tread pattern that matters going by memory........thing to avoid is vastly differing tread depths, either across an axle or back to front, again going by my memory, Alake. (Alec.....?)

There does seem to be varying opinions based on the type of differential (viscous etc?) As a relative 4x4 new boy I'm just checking the best practice! Obviously I'd prefer to avoid changing all 4 at once, but I also don't to damage anything long term. I'm used to changing tyres in pairs and see the logic in that!

I'm a very strong believer in fitting good quality tyres and having matching brands not only across one axle but on both axles. Tyre performance varies massively from manufacture to manufacture, some of the cheaper brands perform very badly, particularly in wet conditions, there are various tyre performance comparison websites which make interesting reading.

So, to answer your question, IMHO, i would fit the identical tyre to those you have on the rear if they're available and of a good brand, a few pounds saved now may cost much more in the long term. What brand do you have fitted ?

• Like 2

I'm a very strong believer in fitting good quality tyres and having matching brands not only across one axle but on both axles. Tyre performance varies massively from manufacture to manufacture, some of the cheaper brands perform very badly, particularly in wet conditions, there are various tyre performance comparison websites which make interesting reading.

So, to answer your question, IMHO, i would fit the identical tyre to those you have on the rear if they're available and of a good brand, a few pounds saved now may cost much more in the long term. What brand do you have fitted ?

If fitting a pair, put the new ones on the back and the slightly worn ones from the back on the front. There are numerous tyre threads on here and the consensus is this this minimises oversteer.

They're Yokohama Geolanders, which seem ok for the price (mid range I would say) I don't bother with cheapo tyres but I also don't want to throw away perfectly usable tyres!

They're Yokohama Geolanders, which seem ok for the price (mid range I would say) I don't bother with cheapo tyres but I also don't want to throw away perfectly usable tyres!

The Geolanders are a great general purpose tyre, and were fitted from new on the last two Ravs we've owned.

Got 54k out of the fronts to which is non to shabby.

ALake..but which one ?

I'm with Paul Voyager, the Yoko G91's are a very good tyre and were a factory fit on many Rav 4.3's with 17 inch wheels. You can't go wrong with these ALake.

There does seem to be varying opinions based on the type of differential (viscous etc?) As a relative 4x4 new boy I'm just checking the best practice! Obviously I'd prefer to avoid changing all 4 at once, but I also don't to damage anything long term. I'm used to changing tyres in pairs and see the logic in that!

There is no doubt which type of 4WD coupling you have. It is a multi plate clutch on the rear axle.

Loads of good info on here, but I'm not sure whether a multi plate clutch is better or worse in this case!?

Certain cars like Audi Quattro models are completely intolerant to differing tyre depths... If for instance you have a tyre go west on an Audi RS4 it means changing all four tyres as one with less tread will cause huge damage to the 4WD system.. I know this as I used to have a few Audis and an RS4 was among them,,,

With the Rav4 this is not the case.. If for instance the front tyres were worn out you can replace just the front tyres...

I think this is what you (The OP ) is getting at ??

You rarely hear of Rav's having intelligent AWD drivetrain problems unlike Audi/VW, Ford, Volvo, Freelander 2 etc who use the Scandinavian Haldex systems.

That's what I wanted to hear! Quite happy to buy decent tyres but don't want to be worrying about a millimetre difference in tread having the potential to wreck my diff!

• Like 1