Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Wheel Bearing Now Brakes Feel Spongy

smoky2004

Hello

I just got the front drivers side wheel bearing fitted in my 2004 1.8 Toyota avensis.

I watched the mechanic do the work and all the nuts and screws that he took out went back in.

Only thing is, the brakes felt a bit spongy on my way home, like I was having to press the brake pedal right the way down to stop.

Any idea's? Could it be air in the brake system?

Did the mechanic support the brake caliper or left it to dangle?

I would take the car back and ask the mechanic to check everything. Make sure the brake hose is not twisted or kinked.

I recently changed both front wheel bearings on my car, and I was careful to tie the brake calipers to the struts when removing the hub. Since I was having problems with the disks, I changed them and the pads.

Your brakes will be a little spongy but not all the way to the floor. Try pumping the brake pedal then see if the pedal firms up.

I pumped the pedal before starting the engine, then pump after starting.

See if there is any improvement.

Konrad

Did the mechanic support the brake caliper or left it to dangle?

I would take the car back and ask the mechanic to check everything. Make sure the brake hose is not twisted or kinked.

I recently changed both front wheel bearings on my car, and I was careful to tie the brake calipers to the struts when removing the hub. Since I was having problems with the disks, I changed them and the pads.

Your brakes will be a little spongy but not all the way to the floor. Try pumping the brake pedal then see if the pedal firms up.

I pumped the pedal before starting the engine, then pump after starting.

See if there is any improvement.

Konrad

The caliper was left dangling.

When I first jumped in the car I did pump the brake pedal and it did improve a little but still doesn't seem how it was.

Do you think it just needs more pumping?

Yes more pumping may help, but I'm thinking the hose may have been damaged.

That means the hose may have been weakened, so when you press the pedal the hose expands a bit before the brakes work. That is why the caliper should never been left dangling.

The other option is to bleed the system

Hopefully it is not too bad so the pressure will return to the brakes.

Konrad

Yes more pumping may help, but I'm thinking the hose may have been damaged.

That means the hose may have been weakened, so when you press the pedal the hose expands a bit before the brakes work. That is why the caliper should never been left dangling.

The other option is to bleed the system

Hopefully it is not too bad so the pressure will return to the brakes.

Konrad

Thanks for your help and advice.

I've just been for a drive and pumped the brakes before switching the ignition on, then pumped again when engine running, went for a spin and everything seems fine now, back to how it was originally.

The mechanic who fitted the wheel bearing did seem quite competent, I was standing next to him like a bad smell the whole way through. I wasn't aware that the caliper shouldn't be left hanging or I'd of mentioned it, at least I know for next time now.

Do you think £45 to fit the wheel bearing was a good price? I did try a few other garages, one said they wanted £60 and another £80.

My friend who is a very good mechanic changed the wheel bearing on my Ford Transit truck before for £20, I did try him first but his whole unit was locked up and I couldn't get hold of him so ended up paying £45 at another garage I sometimes use.

Thanks again!

You said u tried pumping the brakes b4 and after starting the engine and it was back to normal. Have u tried driving it since with out pumping the brakes? if it goes back to feeling spongy i would guess at the pipe being stretched as the other poster suggested.

coop

I glad the brakes are better.

My theory is that the pads were not optimal position in close contact to the disk, compared to the other wheels. This is more pronounced with worn brake pads.

The brakes will feel very spongy until the pads are settled. You have to press the pedal hard repeatedly to get that one wheel back to match the rest of the system.

In my earlier response, I said the worst case scenario, but gave the easiest/cheapest fix. The mechanic did a good job on the bearing, with the exception of leaving the caliper hanging on the brake hose. A friendly word to him I think.

By the end of today, you will have normal feel and the pedal will be firm once again.

Konrad :thumbsup:

Don't worry Coop. No apologies necessary.

I only recalled my own experience at the time of the post.

Konrad