Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Hybrids - Common Abbreviations

johalareewi

Following a recent discussion about abbreviations, I thought it would be an idea to list the common abbreviations used in the Hybrid forum that would not normally be familiar to other members. This could possibly be made a sticky.

HSD = Hybrid Synergy Drive

ICE = Internal Combustion Engine (the petrol engine)

MG1 = Motor/Generator 1

MG2 = Motor/Generator 2

PSD = Power Split Device (the planetary gear system)

HSI = Hybrid System Indicator

MFD = Multi Function Display

SOC = State Of Charge (usually of HV battery)

PIP = Plug-In Prius

EVSE = Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment

HV = High Voltage (battery)

ACC = Accessory mode

IGON - when you press the Power button twice without your foot on the brake.

EV = Electric Vehicle mode

HV/EV = Hybrid Vehicle/Electric vehicle mode on a PIP

ECO = Economy mode

PWR = Power mode

LRR = Low Rolling Resistance (for tyres)

HUD = Heads Up Display

IMA = Integrated Motor Assist (Honda's hybrid technology)

S0, S1a, S1b, S2, S3a,S3b, S4 - Start up stages of Toyota Hybrids

Gen1 = 1st Generation Prius or 1st Generation Auris Hybrid

Gen2 = 2nd Generation Prius or 2nd Generation Auris Hybrid

Gen3 = 3rd Generation Prius

• Like 1

Not in favour of this. If we're not careful we'll be going down the line of having lists of abbreviations for each club.

Also some abbreviations will have different meanings for the various models - for example with the Auris Stop Start system, stop-start is the default setting when one starts the engine, and the ECO button turns off the stop-start system.

Firstly, thanks to johalareewi for producing a list which I am sure will be useful to all owners and particularly anyone new to world of hybrid-speak. My first thought when I saw the list was that it should be made a sticky.

Not in favour of this. If we're not careful we'll be going down the line of having lists of abbreviations for each club.

Would this be a problem?

Also some abbreviations will have different meanings for the various models - for example with the Auris Stop Start system, stop-start is the default setting when one starts the engine, and the ECO button turns off the stop-start system.

Differences between models could be covered by emphasising that this is the Hybrid/Toyota Prius subforum and therefore definitions only apply to that group of cars. Definitions can also be extended where necessay as johalareewi did for "Gen1". The example you quote is not a hybrid so would automatically not be covered by this list.

My car has a HV/EV switch and I am fairly sure that HV is not High Voltage in this instance, and HUD is Head-up display

My car has a HV/EV switch and I am fairly sure that HV is not High Voltage in this instance, and HUD is Head-up display

So .......Once again we have immediate confusion when using abbreviations

Whilst appreciating the efforts submitted by johalareewi, I would repeat my request that whenever members use abbreviations within a post, that they follow the abbreviation by the full meaning in parenthesis

This is the only way.....across the forum ...that confusion will be avoided :)

• Like 1

HV.. let me see...... Hybrid Vehicle??....too obvious.......err what about High Vehicle??...not really........so it must mean High Velocity!! ;)

So .......Once again we have immediate confusion when using abbreviations

Whilst appreciating the efforts submitted by johalareewi, I would repeat my request that whenever members use abbreviations within a post, that they follow the abbreviation by the full meaning in parenthesis

I agree with this but why not have the glossary as well for those times when posters accidentally slip in an abbreviation that is part of everyday speech to them but not to everyone? To give an extreme example do you want Electric Vehicle mode spelling out instead of EV?

HV stands for Hybrid Vehicle mode as opposed to EV Electric Vehicle mode and on the plug-in is a switch labelled HV/EV.

What is JAE short for?

Drat and double drat :D

I did wonder about HUD because it is not specifically a Toyota hybrid abbreviation, but it is used a lot in this forum.

ICE was the one on this forum that really confused me as I thought that meant In Car Entertainment, and on another thread we now have EVSE :dontgetit:

Whilst appreciating the efforts submitted by johalareewi, I would repeat my request that whenever members use abbreviations within a post, that they follow the abbreviation by the full meaning in parenthesisThis is the only way.....across the forum ...that confusion will be avoided :)

What is JAE short for?

Japanese Automobile Extravaganza..........but of course JAE is not an abbreviation but the registered and recognised title of the annual September gathering of like minded owners of Japanese vehicles :)

Coming into this forum as somebody recently new to the Hybrid world (and a bit of an outsider considering I have a Lexus CT) I went through all the old posts to get a feeling about was I making the right decision about getting the car and the old posts, and some of the more recent ones are full off confusing terms that I did not understand.

I for one would have welcomed this as a sticky when I joined, and whilst I can see why some of the more 'seasoned' members on here preferer clear plain language, it would really help us new people I think.

I would repeat my request that whenever members use abbreviations within a post, that they follow the abbreviation by the full meaning in parenthesis

I have been giving this some thought and while I agree with you, I can see that it doesn't work well on internet forums.

For example, in a post I use the abbreviation HSD (Hybrid Synergy Drive).

I can now freely use the abbreviation HSD, but for how long?

If I post again in this thread, can I just use HSD without parenthesis?

If I post in another thread can I use HSD without parenthesis?

If I start a new thread can I use HSD without parenthesis?

If I post in a different forum on this site can I use HSD without parenthesis?

You see the problem.

Some threads get very long and visitors rarely read all the way through from post #1.

So they are very likely to come across abbreviations without parenthesis.

I can also see the point made about each forum having their own list of special abbreviations.

Is that a bad thing? A forum Glossary as a sticky sounds like a good idea.

It answers the problem I mentioned above.

• 2 weeks later...

What about if we had a central thread of abbreviations/acronyms? It'd be nice being able to add EGR, DPF, SCV and DMF to a list, maybe even Cat?

Actually, forum mods, what's the chances of having our own forum wiki so we can put in such things?

Slightly back on topic, is it worth putting some explanations with the acronyms? e.g. MG1, MG2 - Most people assume they are similar or MG1 is the main, whereas MG1 is a tiny itty bitty highspeed leccy motor that (I *think*) charges the HV Battery an also controls the effective gear ratio between the ICE and MG2.

MG2 is the big mamma and directly drives the wheels and passes on torque from the ICE, but can also sap power from the ICE or the wheels to charge the HV Battery.

If we have our own wiki we can totally rip that off! :D :naughty:

TLA's (Three Letter Acronyms) are great if everybody concerned knows what they mean.

ICE for example, I always thought it stood for "In Car Entertainment" I now discover it stands for "Internal Combustion Engine"

Well the problem with TLAs are they tend to be context sensitive; ICE can mean either depending on the topic!

It gets even worse when you start crossing fields; e.g. computing, science and engineering! :lol:

Well the problem with TLAs are they tend to be context sensitive; ICE can mean either depending on the topic!

A good example. ICE is used heavily in the hybrid forum to mean the petrol engine. Outside of the hybrid forum, vehicles usually have the one engine so ICE is unlikely to mean Internal Combustion Engine.