Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12V Battery Charging In A Pip

IanIanIanIan

Whilst tinkering with our new PiP (installing a ham radio power supply) I discovered that the 12v Battery is charged whilst the car is charging from the EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment..

Battery voltage whilst resting, 12.46V. Plug in traction Battery charger and the 12V battery voltage rises to 13.56V, just enough for a slow, float charge.

Interesting. I wonder what other clever things are going on inside.

Edited to add definition.

Edited by IanIanIanIan

Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment.

The charging lead for a plugin car. There is a box attached that oversees the charge and provides protection in case there is a fault. The car does not just plug into a socket it needs the EVSE to communicate.

A quick Google gives:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charging_station

I had never heard of EVSE although I do have one of these on my garage wall post-84503-0-05258300-1378982689_thumb.j

Yup, that is one. You also own another on the cable which the PiP uses to charge from a domestic 13A socket.

The name has been around since the early days of electric vehicles but it is a mouthful, I feel it could have a snappier name, CC perhaps, Charge Controller.