Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying Second Hand Toyota

Gary Ball

Hi all

I,m looking to buy a second hand Avensis 60 plate or later from a main dealer. I am waiting until end of month. with an asking price of about £11,000 how much realistically do you think I should offer.

Thanks Gary

• 3 weeks later...

best avoided, any current Avensis model.

How can you justify that blanket statement?........All current Toyotas come with a comprehensive 5 year warranty

• Like 1

Buy a Honda Accord oil burner! It's a far better car and will hold its value... 👍🚘😎

best avoided, any current Avensis model.

How can you justify that blanket statement?........All current Toyotas come with a comprehensive 5 year warranty

Quite easily when you own one with low mileage and being 4 yrs old and then issues start with steering, to be told there are no parts to fix and will need a new steering rack. Got to seriously question build/toyota suppliers quality.

So how many T27's in the UK do you know of with a defective steering rack?

I see from previous posts you were complaining about a rattle but Toyota have told you yours is OK so has another garage told you it is defective?

A 2010, or later, Avensis will have a 5 year manufacturers warranty from new which can be extended in the right circumstances. Go to any of the major European manufacturers and see how much warranty they give and then check out their forums and see the problems they get when their I or 2 year warranty runs out. Toyota have a well documented track record of repairing faults outside of warranty let alone inside. They have issued well reported recalls over the past couple of years because they want to do right by their customers, you won't get that kind of service and care from any of the other big boys in Europe.

From your previous posts you seem clearly unhappy with your car so you seem to just slag it off at any opportunity, which of course is your prerogative, but at least be objective and balanced about it. We have all had cars that have had aspects of them that we don't like but that is the nature of it, finding a car that suits you perfectly in every respect is like trying to find Shangri-La, we would all like to but it's never going to happen.

To return to The OP's question. As with any main dealer Toyota main dealer prices will be at the top book prices but that doesn't mean they won't haggle, by how much is dependent on all the circumstances at that time. it's always difficult to give an answer to that because it will always depend on the circumstances peculiar to your deal, the location of the seller, what the trade values of the cars concerned are at any particular time and what the seller has paid for the car if it's not new. The best option is to trawl the trade adverts in the usual magazines and Internet sites and see what similar ones are selling for and then use that as your starting point to haggle.

• Like 1

I disagree with the Honda Accord diesel comments. I owned one for about 6 months and couldn't get rid of it quick enough. Narrow cramped uncomfortable "tunnely" seating position, nowhere to put your left foot, clumsy to get in and out of, big loooong clutch pedal travel which required you to lift your whole leg rather than just move your foot, suspension and tyres set-up so hard that if you ran over a 50 pence piece you could tell whether it was heads or tails side up (ok mine was a Sport), stereo with very little mid range, the list goes on. Also, although this was maybe just mine due to it's 87k miles, the engine was smokier than a chip pan fire every time you put your foot down, the turbo lag was very evident, the whole car shook when you started it when cold, according to the service history it needed front brakes every 20 minutes and rears every 40. I reckoned the car needed a complete fuel system overhaul, as per lots of others at about 100k miles (not just the Accord, all models with the 2.2). There are lots of them about needing a new engine (new crankshaft to be precise) too.

I could go on but, to reiterate the point Whitewagon mentions, maybe a Honda Accord would be the perfect car for someone...but it's sure not me lol. On a more balanced note, it was fairly quiet to travel in, had a good heater (once it eventually got going), and gave mid 40's mpg.

To get back to the OP, the buying price drastically depends what spec, engine etc the car has. You should be able to get a 12 plate petrol with a bit of running on it for about your £11k, but diesels or low milers will be dearer. Make sure you get one after 60 plate with full Toyota service history as they have the 5 year Toyota warranty.

• Like 1

Cars first registered from 1st June 2010 should have the Toyota five year new car warranty.

As an observer, I agree with most of the posts and understand Valvematics problem, but would never say avoid all current Toyota Avensis. His issue is to due to a part not being available separately. I think it could be a batch problem unless loads of T27 Avensis have steer rack problems with the inner track rods wearing quickly.

Alan's point about other makes with issues is very valid. I check other forums and think Toyota is not bad.

If I was in the market for a more recent Avensis, I would love to buy a used tourer (sad there is no hatchback version).

Konrad

• Like 1

Which? awarded the Avensis Tourer most reliable estate this year ...

Only things that I'm really not keen on are:

electronic handbrake - I could actually live with that but why put the button where it's hidden behind the steering wheel (Vauxhall put it on the tunnel where a lever would have been)? & this is on the facelift where they supposedly moved it as am improvement from the original? :fear:

single reverse & fog lights - this is penny pinching & not just by Toyota as it's now common amongst manufacturers.

Hi All

Got one,Avensis 1.8 saloon in tyrol silver 60 plate reg dec 2010, 2yrs 2 months warranty 23,500 miles 3 stamps in book 2 toyota 1 Honda, 1 year mot. Was up at main dealer for £ 10,500 purchased for £9,100.

Regards Gary

• Like 1

Sounds a good deal, well done. Did you enquire about extending the warranty period?

Sounds a good deal, well done. Did you enquire about extending the warranty period?

Yes it was £408!