Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Injectors Very Noisy When Engine Is Cold

foleydar

Hi, I have a 2008 Avensis D4D and am having problems with noisy injectors when the engine is cold. I purchased the car approx 6 months ago. It became hard to start and the MPG was poor. When I had it checked out I was told that the injectors needed replacing. So, I got the injectors replaced at a cost of approx €1,000.

Since getting this job done the engine starts first time but is very noisy i.e. tap,tap,tap sound or could otherwise be described as rattly. I brought the car back to garage and they advised that one of the injectors had lost a code. They reprogrammed and the car was sorted i.e. tappy sound gone and great MPG.

But, the sound came back and the MPG dropped again. I brought it back again anf they advised the code had been lost again (not sure if it was the same injector). This time they cleared the ECU and reporgrammed each injector again. So, everything great again until the following morning. Sounding like a tractor at the moment.

I am now really frustrated and wondering what is my next step.

Anyone out there have any ideas ?

is it noisy just when cold?

My 2004 is noisy for about 10mins, then it softens quite a bit.... I notice it appears better for the first 500mies after an oil change, but I've been advised this is normal... I change the oil after 5000miles regardless (about 5months for me) ... but otherwise it's really strong and 55-65MPG .... I've had mine 4years and learnt to accept it.

Never heard of injectors 'loosing their code' ...... not even sure what that means!

Mine sounds like piston slap on one cylinder when it is cold, it's been doing this for 2 years now, at first I was worried but it does not use a drop of oil.

I'm no expert but if the injectors are loosing their code, it should be the ECU that remembers this. (The code is a calibration factor because each manufactured injector is slightly different)