Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Worst Iq Feature

Hicardo

OK....my candidate for worst IQ feature is not the fuel gauge, but the auto dimming rear view mirror.

I have to say I was looking forward to using this piece of gimmickry and not having to bother with the manual mirror dimmer button anymore, when i bought the IQ 9 months ago. However, I didn't realise how utterly useless the auto dimming feature was going to be!

I notice ZERO effect unless its completely dark for one, so those times around twilight and dawn, I am now blinded by following traffic. The rest of the time, it puts on a slight greening and dimming, but nowhere near enough for me, so I stil feel as if I want to manually dim it, and of course I can't

What do others think?

I find the poor visibility rearwards when reversing a real nuisance at times which is daft for such a short car.

Can't comment on the mirror as I don't use the car at night.

John

I love the auto dimmer mirror. It works perfectly for me. Love the way it changes the lights to green. I'm surprised that more cars don't have this feature. Anyway, the worst thing about the IQ is the extra large wing mirrors in my opinion. I'm paranoid that I'm going to hit an oncoming car's (or more likely they hit me as there's too many idiot impatient drivers out there).

I have always found the auto dimming mirror works perfectly for me, I have not yet been dazzled by the rear view mirror.

I do find quite a blind spot caused by the width of the A post and wing mirror, sometimes you have to try and look around them. I think under-slung wing mirrors would be an improvement

Love my mirror too. I had one on my previous Range Rover and was quite surprised the iQ had one fitted but it works every bit as well. I tried it out once by sitting in the dark looking at the mirror then shining a torch at it. After a few seconds of being dazzled it goes a nice green colour and no longer dazzles you.

The wide B pillars are an occasional pain if you pull up to a junction that's at an angle to the main road.

I would like the option to use the rear fog light without the front ones being on first. I hate front fog lights and would rather turn them into spot lights to come on with the main beam head lights. The rear fog light can be useful though.

Other than that, Love it.

Craig.

To me it's the rear window wiper....

Here we drive on the right side of the road, but the rearwindowwiper is set in such a way, that it is made fore righthanddrive...Cause in Japan and England and other countries they drive on the left side of the road...

And when one sits in the car as the driver with the steering wheel on the right side ... the wiper is perfect.

But to us, sitting in the left side of the car...and the wiper still in the same place...it does not clean the rear window in the right places...

Very dumb...

It's like a Toyota Hilux...that has a rear door opening towards you and to the right. In Europe, with diving on the rightside of the road, this is terrible,

Well that's funny, as I find the rear view mirror auto dimming so ineffectual, I thought others would too! I wonder whether mine is working properly. It doesn't dim enough for me. it does dim somewhat, but not nearly as much as a manually adjusted mirror

Having a nice basic iQ saves being bothered with things like that, working on the KISS principle.

Only time i have ever gone ' bl00dy car' is when the seatbelt is shut in the door when exiting the car,

and that is not really the cars fault.

george

Large mirrors - I get where your coming from Jonathan, but they do come in great use on the motorway when overtaking and not to mention parking. As George says, having the basic IQ does have it's advantages on hassle but I would like the 1.3 alloys over the 15" standard IQ 1.0 ones as the 16" look much better

You do have the mirror turned on I guess?

Button in the centre of the mirror that says auto, Press it and it puts a green light on when it is working? Leave it on too, don't keep pressing it when cars are behind.

Craig.

Worse thing , price of replacement tyres on the iq3, although nexen do a cheaper tyre than the Bridgestone or dunlop. 100 plus quid a go, they're more than what I pay for tyres on my rav

Lack of ability to adjust the self dipping rear view mirrior low enough. Lack of lights in the door mirror switch, lack of rear interior light. lack of glove box.

No1 would be Toyota dealers.

Ill never complain about the MPG, the amount of go and the fun I have in it :)

Craig, thanks mate! Yes I do have it turned on. I know we are a bit backward in East Sussex, but......

• Like 1

WIth the mirrors on the iQ, if they are adjusted property, the blind spots virtually disappear.

• The center mirror should be adjusted to cover the rear window. To get better rearward vision, tip the mirror up so that only the lower half shows the rear window (the upper half shows the headliner at the rear of the compartment). You won't see as much of the seats and such, but you will get greater depth of the view that remains.

• The left mirror is adjusted by placing your head close to the left window. With your head located thus, you need to adjust the left mirror so that you can barely see a portion of your car's rear fender.

• The right mirror is adjusted by first placing your head near the car's centerline. While there, adjust the right mirror so that you can barely see a portion of the car's rear fender in same.

(All of this is reversed for our United Kingdom brethren, of course.)

Once they are set up in this fashion, you will have full coverage across the back of the vehicle. You will, of course, have to use all three mirrors, instead of relying on the center mirror for 99% of your rearward vision. But, you can easily follow cars behind you as they change lanes, watching them move from one mirror to the other (without any blind spots).

This technique I first noted in a Popular Mechanics article back in 1982, written by the inventor of the manual dimming rear view mirror.

I'll try that Sensha because driving down a UK motorway yesterday was crap for blind spot visibility and was going to be my number one gripe!

• 2 weeks later...

Only one slight issue for me, Every time I get in the car I see the big round blanking plug where the ignition key would have been next to the steering wheel on the iQ1 model.

As I have the keyless ignition I think it would be nice to have a new steering column shroud without the big hole in it?

Craig.

• Like 1

Craig, thanks mate! Yes I do have it turned on. I know we are a bit backward in East Sussex, but......

Ha, Sorry, I think I was trying to suggest to make sure the green light was on in case it was broken, blown fuse. I'm sure East Sussex isn't that bad...! :)

Craig.

Only one slight issue for me, Every time I get in the car I see the big round blanking plug where the ignition key would have been next to the steering wheel on the iQ1 model.

As I have the keyless ignition I think it would be nice to have a new steering column shroud without the big hole in it?

Craig.

Yes I think it should be used for some pointless technology that looks great and makes the iQ even more of an abstract concept.

How about a fingertip oxygen saturation sensor just for laughs? Or even a USB docking point for a small audio drive? Whatever the choice, it would have to be encircled by an indicator that flashes slowly for first few seconds of use and colour co-ordinated according to paintwork ;-)

Craig.

i've never really thought about it , but yes it is a bit rubbish. It reminds me a of a Ford I had in the 80's which was fitted with (the then uncommon) electric windows. Any sense of technical superiority was cancelled out by the door trim simply having a blanking plug where the hand winder should have been.

I agree the iQ has a big blind spot, especially because i have the seat very low and as much to the rear as possibly can. If i look left, i see the pillar so it's no use. I have put the mirrors so far that i can see the blind spot, and have to use the rear view mirror for the rest. However in the city with bicycles etc. this can be annoying.

No, the worst thing about the iQ is the radio controls. Jesus harold ***** on rubber crutches..........

I agree the iQ has a big blind spot, especially because i have the seat very low and as much to the rear as possibly can. If i look left, i see the pillar so it's no use. I have put the mirrors so far that i can see the blind spot, and have to use the rear view mirror for the rest. However in the city with bicycles etc. this can be annoying.

No, the worst thing about the iQ is the radio controls. Jesus harold ***** on rubber crutches..........

Sort have got used to the radio controls, just think the display could have been better - even had it where the CD player sits and made the mode readout less cluttered. But it's only a small gripe.

Where are you based Rick? Are you LHD and does that make a difference versus us weirdos who drive on left?

Yeah they could have put the display in the center where the cd player is. Radio control is annoying if you searching for frequenty.

I'm from Holland, so we drive on the right (which is the way god intended ;) )

• Like 2

OK....my candidate for worst IQ feature is not the fuel gauge, but the auto dimming rear view mirror.

I have to say I was looking forward to using this piece of gimmickry and not having to bother with the manual mirror dimmer button anymore, when i bought the IQ 9 months ago. However, I didn't realise how utterly useless the auto dimming feature was going to be!

I notice ZERO effect unless its completely dark for one, so those times around twilight and dawn, I am now blinded by following traffic. The rest of the time, it puts on a slight greening and dimming, but nowhere near enough for me, so I stil feel as if I want to manually dim it, and of course I can't

It annoys me that the dimmer is on by default. I would prefer it to only switch itself on when I have turned on at least the side lights.

• 1 month later...

I'd rather use a manual rear view mirror, and have a free glove box bag instead!

• Like 1

I suffer from photosensitivity and so the RVM feature is great for me, but can understand those that think it's a waste of time. The preference for a "glove box bag" instead is a good one IMO.