Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 Wheels - Sealant Wax

CharlieFarlie

Following a question on the wheel sealing thing I have a wee bit of info that some may find useful...

I was using Jetseal 109 as my go to wheel sealant as its easy to use and does a good job..

Good as this product is it does not stand up to winter and that is getting closer now and we are not so inclined to be on our hands and knees applying products to our wheels.

So I tried Colinite wax. Have been using it for a year or so now. The same stuff as I use on the cars bodywork. Colinite is without the most durable wax on the market today and as our wheels are painted my thoughts were it must work as well on wheels...

I have been using it on the Rav and the Jag and its just brilliant !

It holds up to the wheels cleaners (non acidic) and the durability is awesome.

I cant help topping up over the top of the Colly with a spot of Jetseal now and then as its just so quick to do but there is no doubt its the Colly that is keeping the crud and dust at bay.

Wheel cleaning is easy with muck dust and all sliding off with a hose when washing so proving the products ability and that its doing a good job !

Colinite is a product that most of you will have. If you dont it really is IMHO the best wax on the market and none has ever come close to matching its awesome durability.. Good point is its cheap as well so a double bonus..

PS . Mods please dont move this to another section I only visit this forum.. Cheers.

• Like 2

Charlie which wax do you use as had a look and they do it in a tin and a bottle with different numbers ? The stuff i have used in the past was an orange paste , wheel guard by chemical guys, not bad stuff as you can see where you have applied it, but if this stuff you use is better i want me to try some as just had my wheels refurbed on my lexus and rav.

phil

There three general types of Colinite.

915 Concourse

476S

and

845 Insulator..

All are excellent and the ones hardest to apply are in order

476S

The 476 is the longest durability wax and this can be a pain to get the best from but not if you follow the steps below.

Apply to a small area at a time, On a car bonnet do half the bonnet at a time then say one wing or door at a time and polish off with a soft microfiber towel IMMEDIATELY. Colinite does not need to cure and needs taking back off as fast as you can..

Same applies to 915 but to slightly lesser degree. Its a fabulous wax and I would do say the whole bonnet before removing/Polishing..... But its durability is around two thirds that of 476S.

915 IS a cream wax and does not need this fast removal. Again its a very good wax but has one third of the durability of 476S.. More a fast top up wax than a wax I would apply for the duration of winter..

The trick with the paste waxes both 476 and 915 is if they cure before you get them polished off is to remove with a damp or wet cloth. Preferably with a spray of detailing spray if you have it or just wet will do. You can also apply with a damp cloth. This will not affect the durability of the wax nor dilute it in any way. It will just make the job easier. The water on the cloth will aid the application then dry away leaving just as good a durability and shine just easier...

Grumpy. Mate there are all types of dedicated wheel waxes and sealants.. The truth is all these products are just hybrids of good old fashioned waxes.. Marketing of course would have us all believe they are wonderous products with huge gains over anything else... The reality is they are likely less effective than even a cheap wax from Halfords..

The detaling scene is now just a minefield of new wonder products of all types , Nano this or that and all claims that are just complete rubbish.

Stick with the basics.. No point in trying to reinvent the wheel..

• Like 1

OH uses 476 on the wheels, and the bodywork of our vehicles..

And, totally agree with Charlie, it looks great, and lasts ages..

Especially, if you prepare the paint before applying, and are careful how you clean the car..

Concur with Charlie on the 476 Collinite.....applied a good coat to INSIDE of wife's winter wheels, brand new from Unca Buck on here.

Had a wee brainwave.......left it on undisturbed on the inside rim and spokes. Just cleaned them off at weekend with car shampoo and buffed off wax remants........utterly brand spanking new. Will deffo repeat same system shortly.

Buffed off outer face obviously, and still remnant of wax after low winter usage and regular washing. Collinite rocks mins......

Kev the though occurred to me to just apply on the insides and leave it but I wondered if muck and dust would stick to the static substance of the wax ??? Not sure as I remove ... I use one of those 90 degree sections on the end of the power wash lance and everything blasts of when I wash off ..

Damn . . . yet another magic lotion to add to the rapidly increasing pile in the shed . . .Or will the 845 Insulator wax do??

Kev the though occurred to me to just apply on the insides and leave it but I wondered if muck and dust would stick to the static substance of the wax ??? Not sure as I remove ... I use one of those 90 degree sections on the end of the power wash lance and everything blasts of when I wash off ..

Possibly slightly more crud adhesion Charlie, but no matter......lwahes off nae bother.

• Like 1

Damn . . . yet another magic lotion to add to the rapidly increasing pile in the shed . . .Or will the 845 Insulator wax do??

Tony 845 will do fine but its durability is the least of the three colinite waxes...

476S is the daddy of durability

915 is next

845 is last but by no means least..

• Like 1

Thanks Charlie . . . 476S added to the list of magic lotions to get ;)

...............not me who moved it.

I only visit this forum too. I suspect somebody can't sleep at night.

No problems with it being moved but it does mean I wont post stuff that just keeps getting moved all the time......

I was thinking of getting something to protect my alloys. I want something that's easy to put on, so can anybody recommend what I could use? It would have to be something I could get in Halfords as that's the only place near where I live.

Would any of them be too strong and damage the alloys? Probably not as they're a protective coating, but I'm just making sure because its all new to me.

Not me. Title edited to 'Rav4 wheels - sealant wax' and back in Rav4 club.