Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4 Faults

swinter88

Hi all,

I purchased a lovely 2005 RAV4 XTR D-4D yesterday. I took it for a test drive and everything seemed fine. I drove it home 35 miles and everything was fine.

This morning I hitched a trailer to it and was driving along at 50 mph (for about 8 miles) when all of a sudden there was a loss of power and I couldn't go above 40 mph. There was no warning lights. I pulled into a layby stopped and started and everything was fine for the next 10 miles. We got to the site and filled the trailer (had to go off road a bit but nothing major). On the way home it happened again and we switched off and on again. Everything fine until I got about 200 meters from home then the vsc and abs lights come on.

I done the pin 4 to 13 trick and I got VSC 43 and ABS 49. Could anybody please help???

Are they probably linked (brake fault and loss of power) or is it just a coincidence.

The lights aren't on when I switch back on.

Just like to say it is a great and very useful site.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the club.

I can't find 43 but 49 is a fuel rail pressure problem. That might be linked to the SCVs which control the fuel pressure and there is a tutorial in the pinned technical section.

Whatever you do, start with a fuel filter!

Hi Thanks for the reply. I thought the ABS 49 was something to do with the stop switch. Thanks

I have just took it on a 50 mile drive and no faults or revs dying at all.

One thing I did notice is that when we hitched the trailer on earlier there was a short in the electrics and it was definetly something to do with my car as the trailer board worked fine on dads car.

Could this be something to do with it?

Thanks

I have just took it on a 50 mile drive and no faults or revs dying at all.

One thing I did notice is that when we hitched the trailer on earlier there was a short in the electrics and it was definetly something to do with my car as the trailer board worked fine on dads car.

Could this be something to do with it?

Thanks

Might be an idea to take it along to your local auto-spark & get him to run a check on the electrics for the trailer hitch. IMHO he'd have a better chance of locating any problems (& doing so quicker/cheaper) than you would by tracing all the wiring & connections since, as you say, it would appear to be the car & not the trailer board.

Even if he gives the car a clean bill of health, at least you can then look elsewhere for the problem.

Meanwhile, have you made sure that all the external connectors and earths are clean, dry & sound?

Hi all,

I purchased a lovely 2005 RAV4 XTR D-4D yesterday. I took it for a test drive and everything seemed fine. I drove it home 35 miles and everything was fine.

This morning I hitched a trailer to it and was driving along at 50 mph (for about 8 miles) when all of a sudden there was a loss of power and I couldn't go above 40 mph. There was no warning lights. I pulled into a layby stopped and started and everything was fine for the next 10 miles. We got to the site and filled the trailer (had to go off road a bit but nothing major). On the way home it happened again and we switched off and on again. Everything fine until I got about 200 meters from home then the vsc and abs lights come on.

I done the pin 4 to 13 trick and I got VSC 43 and ABS 49. Could anybody please help???

Are they probably linked (brake fault and loss of power) or is it just a coincidence.

The lights aren't on when I switch back on.

Just like to say it is a great and very useful site.

Thanks in advance

try to change fuel filter

regards

Hi driving to work yesterday the car lost power 3 times and I had to pull over and switch off then on again. On the way home it was fine. I have noticed it is very slow from 60 to pick upto 70 or 80. These are doing 20 mile journeys.

I popped her into a garage this morning and they stuck the code reader on her and it is showing no codes whatsoever.

He has said start from the basics and I mentioned the SCV valves but he had never heard of them.

Could it be an SCV problem or am I looking at worse.

Thanks for all of your help.

i hoep regular maintenance will help you.

have you felt minot jerking of the engine ? if positive then it might be definitely SCV. but have you chancged fuel filter ? be honest with us cos we wonna help you matey. Besides - you can undo an EGR lid to evaluate how many carbon deposits are under and partly cover gass passing holes. Besides - check with smoothness of vanes rotation on the turbo. regards/Igor

Hi Thanks for the quick reply.

I personally think at jerks a tiny bit but my Dad doesn't. I have come from a mondeo tdci that was sweet as a nut so its hard to say. I have got the fuel filter being replaced on Thursday and hes going to look at the EGR valve aswell.

Hi Thanks for the quick reply.

I personally think at jerks a tiny bit but my Dad doesn't. I have come from a mondeo tdci that was sweet as a nut so its hard to say. I have got the fuel filter being replaced on Thursday and hes going to look at the EGR valve aswell.

be asured when fuel filter changed -- have you bleeded the system to escape an air? -- these jerks might also be resulted fur to an air inside.

I forgot to ask would an SCV fault throw up an error code?? Thanks

yes it must be under special arror code for fuel suction line.

check with basics and electrical connections; EGR; turbo vanes drive/

if you feel power loss at definite range then you might to have gas passing blockage inside EGR or turbo vanes are not rotated smoothly

You can chase your tail with fault codes.

Fuel filter first then start thinking about SCVs.

Just an update. The fuel filter was changed and the egr valve cleaned last night. The fuel filter was full of sludge!!!

I took the car to work this morning and the same thing happened. I have had a thought though It seems to be happening when the engine isn't warmed up (upto 10 miles from start) as after it warmed up I done 68 continuous miles of mixed driving this morning with no problems.

Any other thoughts???

Thanks

it seems you have to change fuel filter twice due to fuel syste is full of sludge.

have you bleeded the system? check with what is drained from fuel filter bottom plug.

Wouldn't this affect it when it is warm aswell though. When the engine is upto normal temp it runs quite well. Thanks

ok let's understand an issue again -- as far as I ve caught you have loss of power at definite speed ???even after have changed filter and cleanned EGR ?

An injection is another way to go.Are RPM stsable when cold started at idle?????? Any video ? Please reply one by one:

- do you have an erratic tickower?

- do you have smoky exhaust?

- do you have vibration of the engine ?

- when was MAF last spray cleanned?

- is yr turbo in order? are vanes drive acts smoothly?

- do you trust to an air filter (engine's) ?

- have you checked with the rail el contacts (pressure sensor etc)??

- have you tested both SCV mounted on the fuel pump ?

Thanks to have your comments

Hi he said when he looked at the EGR valve it was in exceptional condition (looked like it had done 10000 miles)

There is no erratic tickover

The is no smokey exhaust

No vibration of the engine

Don't know aout the MAF spray cleaned.

As far as I am aware the turbo is in order. When at running temp it pulls quite well

Don't know what you mean about the air filter but it had a new one 3000 miles ago.

Havent check the rail contacts (How is this done)

Havent checked the SCVs (How is this done).

I am very grateful for all of the advice.

Thanks