Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auto Box Ecu

ferret51

Just out of interest is there anybody with a 2001-2003 automatic Rav 4 that has not had the ecu problem as being a new owner and reading all the reports of the fault its got me a bit concerned now,has any body had the ecu reprogramed before the fault occured or shall I start saving now for when/if it happens ? I know from the vmax forums im on the faults with them get focused on a bit to much at times and Im hopeing its the same here....Is it

Les

Well Les, it looks like no-one wants to bring down the ECU curse on themselves,even me!!!!

I would however venture to say that there must have been many more autos made than have had problems of this type.

I wonder if driving style comes into this,you never know,and I have always thought that "kick down" on the odd occasion I have used it did not leave me at ease re the feeling through the seat of the pants, if you catch my drift.

I hope that you have many happy miles in front of you matie

Del

• Like 1

Thanks Del

I thought I'd been snubbed early doors by the lack of response ;) I'll not worry about it till or even if it happens anyway I was just curious.

Les

Thanks Del

I thought I'd been snubbed early doors by the lack of response ;) I'll not worry about it till or even if it happens anyway I was just curious.

Les

I would guess that it is random based on what I've seen on the forum. The good thing to remember though is that the ECU Testing guys in Derbyshire have the repair down to about a 4 day torn-around so if you do fall victim, you can get back on theroad quick. Just bear in mind that you will need a set of security bits from Machine Mart to get the beggar out!

Eyup Firemac

I seem to get the idea its a random fault so I'll not worry about it,and if the worst should happen its less than an hour for me to get to the guys in Derbyshire anyway.

Les

Eyup Firemac

I seem to get the idea its a random fault so I'll not worry about it,and if the worst should happen its less than an hour for me to get to the guys in Derbyshire anyway.

Les

Just a word of warning,Les.

When mine went pop I intended to drive the thing over to ECUT in order to speed things up. They told me that even if I hand-delivered it, they would still have to put it into their system for testing and then fixing and it would still take 3 days at best. All I was saving was Royal Mail's delivery cost (£12.00 I seem to recall) and it arrived next morning anyway!

Thanks for that info because I would have gone on my trike,and believe me £12 wont take a vmax very far so thats that plan out the window anyway,didn't realise you had one go on ya..

Les

Thanks for that info because I would have gone on my trike,and believe me £12 wont take a vmax very far so thats that plan out the window anyway,didn't realise you had one go on ya..

Les

Yep, our 02-reg had about 80K miles up when it gave up the ghost. No indications beforehand just, all of a sudden it in the car park it started banging and jumping out of gear. Then it settled down; took it to Mr.T and he couldn't get it to misbehave, no codes came up but the next day, the problem recurred. I sent the ECU off to ECUT and they diagnosed it as having the lurgy. When I got it back & refitted it, the car ran sweet as a nut once more.

You'll need a Laser 5031 Torx Set from Machine Mart to get the two sodding security bolts out though. I don't know why Mr.T has done this as there are about 6 other normal phillips screws in the bracketry as well; those two security bolts serve no purpose especially when the unit is hidden behind the glove box.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links