Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil For 2005 Rav 4 D4D - Sorry For Any Repetition.

Kezbose

Hi Guys.

I'm just wanting to double check what everyone would recommend for oil.

I asked in Wilco Motor Save yesterday and they recommended a 15w 40 oil, which I think is considerably different to the norm!

As far as I can tell it seems that most people are talking about 5w 30.

Is this what is the preferred oil??

Any ideas why there are conflicting oils recommended?

Forgive my ignorance, but I am by no means a 'mechanic'!

Any brands better than others and if so any reason?

Hope someone can clarify.

Ta

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. As a newbie I am a little surprised in the minimal assistance I have had with this. On most of my other forums I would have been a wash with suggestions and more explanation of what to look for as well as look out for.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue really.

From what I could deduce there are different grades in the same oils, such as A1 to C3 etc. the C3 being the better quality, but nobody has actually indicated whether the Rav is ok on a basic oil or really worth the extra. The cheaper supermarket versions might be classed as 5w 30 oil but don't appear to rate theirs in the same way so it is hard to distinguish if it is the higher or lower grade. Most regular brands have multiple versions of 5W 30 oil, often Ford or Vauxhall rated, but rarely Toyota.

All of this in mind I have plumped to stick with what I know and use the Magnatec again. My personal understanding is that the better C3 fully synthetic is simply better quality and better for the engine. I can buy a 4L & 1L combo for £33 which seems to be the lowest I can find it at Euro Car Parts via Amazon.

Now is your chance guys. Tell me I'm over killing it or on the right track. If you know something better (price for the same or simply same oil under another brand) please let me know before I commit. Rather than look at a sales website the people in the know are usually on the other end of this message.

I guess it won't matter what's in the car now, but I must stress that I'm not exactly planning a full change yet but just a top up from the 1L bottle now and then when needed. May do a full change later within the service etc.

Cheers DavRav.

Must stress its a bit strange, but I couldn't seem to access the same price for the Magnatec if I went direct to Euro Car Parts, but via Amazon they list the C3 oil.

Shame it's not as easy as everyone jumping in with a suggestion like 'use Millers fully synthetic blah blah blah'

I don't mind paying if it's worth it!

Can think of a few things in life if you know what I mean.................... Tyres and all.

Might be a lack of enthusiasm as this is a regularly occurring question!!

Try Morris oils;

http://www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk/lubrication-lookup.html

You can spec your number plate and get their recommendation. Others "in the know" suggested them to me on here years ago and I've serviced both my cars a few times now with it with no issues. (Using Morris Multilife C-THREE 5W/30 Full Synthetic, got through nearly 40 litres of it now!!)

Tip- once you have the specific oil in mind, search for the best price on eBay etc. I paid £70 last time for 4 x 5L delivered!

Dave

PS the 40 litres used isn't cos of a leak or summit! In fact I have very rarely needed to top up at all.

Really helpful. Thanks. I might give it a check before I commit. I know Morris was well regarded in the VW community too, so it seems like a good option.

Questions on engine oils kept recurring across the clubs and the repetition/different opinions (which at times got a bit heated) became rather wearing - which is why the one topic was pinned to the majority of clubs.

So now if an engine oil question appears, people may just get referred to the pinned topic.

• Like 1

I changed mine to magnatec C2 5w-30 went to local ASDA last week got 5lts of shelf for £25.00 reduced from £9.00 per Lt but as I have said in a post earlier went on line again Asda and bought 12 Lts for £63.00 don't know if the offers still on

B-A

If your buying oil from eurocarparts go to their website and get better deals than Amazon.

Keith

Job done!

Great advice battleaxe. Thanks for the heads up. After taking a look in Asda I decided C2 was good enough for me. Says its good for Toyota so I'm sure I can't go wrong. At the price I got a little carried away and wiped out the whole shelf!!! Haha

Enough for a whole oil change later and some extra top ups too.

Pretty sure this is one to put the word out on.

Thanks again.

Kez

I'm afraid for a 4.2 diesel, 5W/30 semi synthetic like morris's is more than up to the job. C2 and C3 oils are good where there is a particulate filter involved.

• Like 1

Sorry my friend. Can you clarify?

Are you saying that I have the wrong oil now?

If this is the case I can't !Removed! win with this!

I've bought an oil recommended for Toyota and supposedly better quality than the basic stuff too.

Are you saying I've overdone the quality or it simply is bad to use the one I bought?

Hopefully you can explain more.

No, the oil you have will do fine but for future reference it is way over spec for what you need.

5W/30 semi synthetic is fine.

"Over spec" is fine if you're getting a bargain.

Dave

Phew. Thought I'd dropped a goolie. I don't mind over doing it a bit if it's a bargain for what it is.

Sadly I'm a sucker for a bargain!

Lidless for a Roof Rack last week. Then only went into Asda for some oil and virtually cleared them out, but in addition to that the T cut metal polish at £2.99, screen was, Deisel injector additive, ................

I really need to stay out of these cheaply supermarkets!

Kez........see that T-Cut Metallic widdle?........bin it.......utter bloody garbage, and can/will do more harm than good.

To be honest I use these sort of things as a base polish on my bike parts, then use Peek Polish as a final polish after that as it is much finer grade. I've heard old style toothpaste does wonders too, but not too sure about the minty fresh smell afterwards. Also been advised that talc can also do the trick as a fine polish too. Guess you just need to be careful not to use one with a girly smell!

Haven't opened the T cut yet, but hopefully it is similar to the Autosol that it appears to look like.